They Appeared At The City Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Journey - Evolution Tour - 24th March 1979

Don't Stop Believing folks, I'd much rather find 1930's-1940's stuff ....

Worksop Miners Welfare Band

On 5th March 1978 at Sheffield City Hall, the band again competed in the Yorkshire Welfare Committee of the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation 29th Annual Brass Band Festival. The Band competed in the Third Section under the conductorship of Mr K.Morgan. The test piece was "Call of the Sea" by Eric Ball and the adjudicator was Mr E.Denton.

http://www.worksopminerswelfareband.org.uk/history/1961-1981.htm

One heck of a title ...

Marillion

12th January 1988

(No "Grendel" on this tour; I did see it live in Newcastle at the Mayfair, a man called Fish, dressed like Darth Vader lumbering through an 18 minute prog-rock epic - remarkable).

John Denver

24th May 1986

(Thus far I think I've managed to keep 'em all in the correct century).

Everly Brothers

12th October 1987

Whhat's the longest period between a first and last performance at the City Hall ?

UB40

29th January 1981

I was rather hoping Admin might be able to chip a few in from the 80's-90's.

Victoria Wood has performed at Sheffield City Hall loads of times:

April 19th, 20th, 21st & 22nd

November 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th

6th May & 6th June

26th & 27th May

8th, 9th, 10th & 11th October

Anyone know when she performed there on her 1990 tour and throughout the mid - late 1980's?

Kevin Bridges - 29th Oct 2012

(Dave He is a comedian from Glasgow :P )

So is he any good? For example, -

Can he be understood when he speaks, - or does he rely on an unintelligable Glasweigan accent to get cheap laughs?

Can he tell a good joke without ranting and raving, - like McIntyre,

or without having to resort to swearing and bad language, - again in a bid to get cheap laughs?

Can he do at least half an hour of continuous stand up and still be funny at the end of it,

or is his act only a few minutes long like those on live at the Apollo? ... and they are not so funny and running out of gags by the end of it?

He's only a young guy so I don't think he will be that good, - having had very few decent comedy role models to fashion his act on in the last 30 years.

Billy J Kramer

3rd March 1964 (Tuesday)

Would that be Billy J Kramer (real name William Howard Ashton) with or without his backing group The Dakotas?

The Dakotas were a good act in their own right. Their manager (Brian Epstein of course, - who else for early 60's Liverpool groups?) had designs on them becoming "the new Shadows", but after just 2 instumental hits, "Magic Carpet" and "The Cruel Sea" it was not to be. :(

Would that be Billy J Kramer (real name William Howard Ashton) with or without his backing group The Dakotas?

The Dakotas were a good act in their own right. Their manager (Brian Epstein of course, - who else for early 60's Liverpool groups?) had designs on them becoming "the new Shadows", but after just 2 instumental hits, "Magic Carpet" and "The Cruel Sea" it was not to be. :(

As it was 1964, I would be very surprised if The Dakotas weren't with him here. I think I saw them at the City Hall, in one of those "collective" pop concerts, but I can't remember for sure ?

By the way, Benedict Cumberbatch is to play Brian Epstein in a forthcoming movie. Should be interesting !

As it was 1964, I would be very surprised if The Dakotas weren't with him here. I think I saw them at the City Hall, in one of those "collective" pop concerts, but I can't remember for sure ?

By the way, Benedict Cumberbatch is to play Brian Epstein in a forthcoming movie. Should be interesting !

Yes the Dakotas were with him.

My previous post was inspired by Richard quoting the act as just Billy J Kramer. They always went under the name of Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas.

The Dakotas split from Billy in 1966, after the British beat boom had finished and recording contracts were coming up for, and not being renewed.

Billy J Kramer then continued as a solo artist, and the dakotas as an instrumental group, after that time, but neither of them had any more big hits.

...the act as just Billy J Kramer. They always went under the name of Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas.

There is a story in one of The Beatles biographies that in 1960 when The Beatles were "Johnny and the Moondogs" that John Lennon ("Johnny") went to their manager at the time, Allan Williams, and said he wanted to change the groups name to The Beatles "but spelt with a BEA rather than a BEE".

Williams reaction was "No John, all successful groups are called SOMEBODY SOMETHING AND THE SOMETHING OR OTHERS, like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Buddy Holly and the Crickets etc. So you are Johnny and the Moondogs"

While on a tour Lennon met a young singer called Dave Dee who had a group called Dave Dee and the Bostons (which fitted the expected naming pattern). John told him that he wanted to rename his group The Beatles, - spelt with a BEA and not a BEE, to which Dave Dee's reaction was "The Beatles!!! what sort of a damn stupid name is that?"

A few years later, the name had changed to The Beatles and they had become the most successful group in Britain. John met Dave Dee again and asked him how he was getting on. Dave said, "Well I've got a new group now, we're called Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky. Mitch and Titch" to which John, remembering their previous conversation replied with "Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky. Mitch and Titch!!! what sort of a damn stupid name is that?"