The Camp, Bracken Hill, Chapeltown

Guest Wardy2

Guest Wardy2

post-6010-1238238471_thumb.jpg

I've seen in some local history books that Bracken Hill Camp was built as inexpensive housing for Sheffielders during WW2 but that it was commandeered by the armed forces for accomodation and never used for its original intent. Having been a resident on Sherringham Road, Bracken Hill Camp I know the latter to be incorrect. I moved in aged 1 yr with my parents in 1947 and was relocated to council housing in High Green in 1955. We had neighbours called Sanderson, Elliot & Gun that could testify likewise.

Some claimed the camp was built to house POW's but I have found no evidence to support that. I do however recall strong rumours within my young peer group at the time that the camp was built by Italian POW's. I also recall a junior school teacher talking about particular Itallian building skills but whether this specifically referred to Bracken Hill Camp I cannot recall. (it was a long time ago!)

It seems probable to me that Bracken Hill Camp was built as inexpensive housing for Sheffielders by Italian POW's. Commandeered by the armed forces during the war (which branch I do not know) but released for its original intent in late 1946.

So, does anyone know the truth? I know some Elliots who lived on the Camp but are there any other Bracken Hill Camp survivors still around?

I've seen in some local history books that Bracken Hill Camp was built as inexpensive housing for Sheffielders during WW2 but that it was commandeered by the armed forces for accomodation and never used for its original intent. Having been a resident on Sherringham Road, Bracken Hill Camp I know the latter to be incorrect. I moved in aged 1 yr with my parents in 1947 and was relocated to council housing in High Green in 1955. We had neighbours called Sanderson, Elliot & Gun that could testify likewise.

Some claimed the camp was built to house POW's but I have found no evidence to support that. I do however recall strong rumours within my young peer group at the time that the camp was built by Italian POW's. I also recall a junior school teacher talking about particular Itallian building skills but whether this specifically referred to Bracken Hill Camp I cannot recall. (it was a long time ago!)

It seems probable to me that Bracken Hill Camp was built as inexpensive housing for Sheffielders by Italian POW's. Commandeered by the armed forces during the war (which branch I do not know) but released for its original intent in late 1946.

So, does anyone know the truth? I know some Elliots who lived on the Camp but are there any other Bracken Hill Camp survivors still around?

My maternal grandparents farmed in Grenoside from the late 1920s. During the war due to the shortage of farm workers they had German prisoners of war working on the land until the war ended. All I know is that during the war they had to be picked up in the morning from somewere in Burncross and taken back there at night. After hostilities ceased most Germans went home but some stayed here until they were forced to go home in the late 40s. I can remember one who stayed behind working on the farm untill 48/49 and can see him now in tears as he did not want to go back. I will be seeing my mum tomorrow so I will try and find out more.

My maternal grandparents farmed in Grenoside from the late 1920s. During the war due to the shortage of farm workers they had German prisoners of war working on the land until the war ended. All I know is that during the war they had to be picked up in the morning from somewere in Burncross and taken back there at night. After hostilities ceased most Germans went home but some stayed here until they were forced to go home in the late 40s. I can remember one who stayed behind working on the farm untill 48/49 and can see him now in tears as he did not want to go back. I will be seeing my mum tomorrow so I will try and find out more.

Mum could not remember where the camp was. What she could remember was that during the war, prisoners were transported to various farms in the morning and picked up again at night. After the war, those that did not go back home were allowed to make their own way to the farms and back unacompanied.

Guest Nimrod

Mum could not remember where the camp was. What she could remember was that during the war, prisoners were transported to various farms in the morning and picked up again at night. After the war, those that did not go back home were allowed to make their own way to the farms and back unacompanied.

The camp was opposite the Acorn Inn and used as an annexe for Highgreen Sec mod school in the '60s. I was there in 1961. We heard it was a holding camp for Italian POW's, low risk prisoners with no intention of escaping. These guys worked on local farms and, rumour has it, 'entertained various local ladies'. There were no wire fences, or high walls, just billets and a central hall/admin block.

Guest Wardy2

You have the location exactly right, opposite the Acorn Inn. The Acorn is a favourite of mine & was the first pub I ever went in aged 6 or 7. In my case I was carried in rather than carried out. We'd been to the cinema in Ecclesfield (now gone) & were travelling back by bus. You know the type, those with the open platform at the back with a central pillar. I'd met a friend on the bus & worked myself up to a frenzy of excitement so as we reached the bus stop I ran downstairs, did a pirouette around the pillar & left the bus before it had come to a halt.

I didn't notice the dark shadow lumbering towards me as I skipped across the road opposite the Acorn. In the 50's most cars had flared wheel arches and it was this that had stuck against my right knee. The surprise more than anything else put me on my back & a quick glance confirmed the injury to be minor. However by this time everyone that had been on the bus was now stood in a circle around me advising that I should not move until I had been seen by a doctor. On the basis of grown ups know best I did as I was told & felt progressively more poorly. Someone scooped me up in their arms and carried me into the Acorn and a doctor was called.

When the doctor arrived he duly inspected the wound & with a disdainful look declared it to be "Now't more than a scratch," and "what did you call me for?" I did however enjoy the lemonade that the landlord gave me but not as much as my mother enjoyed her brandy.

In respect of the school on Bracken Hill Camp I was a pupil at it twice. On the first occasion in 1951 I attended it as an infant school & mother worked there as a playground nanny. I was able to get away with murder in the playground seeking shelter from mothers skirt whenever I'd pushed my mates just that bit too far. The trouble was most days I ended up with a thick ear after school. Later after I had completed my junior schooling at Burncross (also gone) I went back to Bracken Hill which by 1957 was now, as you say, an annex of High Green Secondary Modern. The first year of secondary education was spent a Bracken Hill before going up to the "big" school on Greengate Lane.