The old smells of Sheffield

Sheffield History

<br />Strange one but there used to be some very defining smells in our city in years gone by<br /><br />The most common ones would probably the smell of urine up the side of the ABC on a Saturday morning whilst queuing for the kids club<br /><br />The chip shop on Pond Street or the one opposite Jessops/Turnups always made me hungry<br /><br />But there were others - the over riding chemical smell of Sheaf Valley baths<br /><br />And the worst one (for me) was the brewery in town - that smell used to make my physically sick when driving through town..<br /><br />And I wonder if the smell of fresh baked jam donuts has gone now Fletchers burnt down ??<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not just in sheffield but the smell of new mown grass Skeets

:rolleyes:

Hi Caz, welcome to the forum. Yes, I remember the smell of the doughnuts, they were on a little conveyor belt if I remember rghtly. I love doughnuts, but I have to say that smell put me off them for a long time!

Do you remember hot summers when the tar used to melt at the edges of the road? It was amazing how much mess you could make with a bit of tar on the end of a lolly stick!

Bayleaf

Thanks Bayleaf. Yes as kids we spent many happy hours sat on the edge of the kerb picking up tar on a lolly stick. ,mum used to go mad at the mess we made.