Gatty's Version Of Hunters Hallamshire - Complete

RichardB

21st April 1800

'My Grandmother and Miss Haynes dined at our house. Read Reynolds' "Comedy of Notoriety"; I think it is fully equal to the dramatist.'

Portobello, Sheffield. Joseph Hunter (born 6th February 1783) lives with Joseph Evans, his guardian and a Presbyterian Minister. Joseph Hunter is an apprentice in a Sheffield warehouse, the son of a Sheffield manufacturer.

[We just have the rest of his life to document then ...]

23st April 1800

'Returned Pratt's "Gleanings in England" to the [D.S?] library having only read a few of the letters which did not please me.'

Portobello, Sheffield. Joseph Hunter (born 6th February 1783) lives with Joseph Evans, his guardian and a Presbyterian Minister. Joseph Hunter is an apprentice in a Sheffield warehouse, the son of a Sheffield manufacturer.

23st April 1800

'Brought back [from the subscription? library] the Gents Mag for Feby 4 March. They have not yet done with the controversy with respect to the commencement of the century. There is both letters and epigrams upon it in this no.'

1st May 1800

'In the "Iris" of this day Dr M advertises the subjects of the two next lectures ...Montgomery [the editor] is very careful of what he says about the riots; a burnt child dreads the fire.' [Report on church charities noted from this issue of the 'Iris' appears on F 3 of the journal in the margin.]

[We know a little as to why Montgomery was being very careful ...]

5th April 1797

'I took [books] to the library and brought Aikin's "Description of the Country between 30 and 40 miles around Manchester", nevertheless he has Sheffield which is 42 miles of. There are some excellent maps & beautiful prints. It says that the pastoral in the spectator of Colin and Phoebe was written by a Mr Byrom ... Mr E says it is a very valuable book.'

[i bet his copy wasn't round ...]

40.pdf

6th April 1797

'I finished Aikin's "Description &c"... I began to read my "Evenings at Home" again. It is a book written by Mr Aikin and Mrs Brabauld.

7th April 1797

'We got the "Monthly Magazine" from Miss Haynes who takes it in. Mr E. says it is the best published. I drew a copy of Stanley Hall near Bolton le Moor out of Aikin.'

[Hunter]

Halloween Special

~~~~~~

More pages of 'Hunter's History of Hallamshire' (1869)

are now on view.

We are now up to page 256

With the temporary closure of Sheffield Archives perhaps this thread could provide some entertainment for newer Members, took a lot of effort and not a little money - give it a read; pass comment on your finds.

Most of all enjoy.

So there is. The article is copyrighted so unfortunately we can't post the whole thing, but here are the basic facts:

Alfred Gatty

Birth -- 18 April 1813 (London)

Marriage #1 -- 8 July 1839 to Margaret Scott (1809â€"1873), an accomplished author who also has an entry in the DNB; 6 sons (2 died as infants) + 4 daughters

Marriage #2 -- 1 October 1884 to Mary Helen Newman (????-1919); no children

Death -- 20 January 1903

Vicar of Ecclesfield from 23 Sept 1839 to his death

Obituary

The Graphic (London, England),

Saturday, October 18, 1873; Issue 203

Guest Bildeborg

Hello all, quite a while since I was here. I see that Google Books have now scanned the original 'Hunters' (1819) and it it freely available at

http://books.google.com/books/about/Hallamshire.html?id=QCE2AAAAQAAJ

I managed to purchase myself a copy of this very hard to find book a few months ago on eBay, and am delighted with it. Now, I had always known that Alfred Gatty did a revised version (mostly using Hunter's own details) that was published circa 1869, but oddly enough, only a few weeks ago I came across a 'Gatty' Hallamshire for sale that is obviously later than 1869 as it mentions events several years after this date. Needless to say, I bought this copy too. Somewhere, I know not where, I seem to recall reading that Gatty published a second edition (therefore 'Hallamshire III') which was essentially his first edition, though incorprated in the text was his own 'Sheffield Past And Present' (1873). Does anyone have any details or knowledge of this particular publication?

Bildeborg, in exile in sunny Cornwall.