Gatty's Version Of Hunters Hallamshire - Complete

RichardB

Gatty's, Hunter's History of Hallamshire (1869)

~~~~~

For Tsavo who Welcomed everyone to Sheffield History.

A remarkable contributor and researcher, greatly missed.

Looking forward to this Richard. Is this the 1st sighting of that print - is it Sheffield from Attercliffe or something? Is there an artist's name. I have a print of that I assume it has since appeared in lots of other works?

I've already posted a very nice scan of this picture before Christmas, it was from Hunter's Hallamshire (1819) but may have become entangled with the Calendar stuff.

Sheffield - View from Attercliffe Road

Drawn by E. Blore

Engraved by G. Cooke

Three copies of the same scan (in case a "picture"=person wants to have a pop at it).

Mr Girling (Curate) and Dr. Gatty, from a cracked lantern slide. Picture by Cyril Slinn.

The Priory

Extract

It was customary for the owners of estates to assign a portion of the rent or indeed a portion of the estate itself to a religious foundation. The effect of this was that an enormous proportion of property was in the hands of the Church, even in Saxon times.

Countess Judith endowed the Benedictine Monastery of St. Wandrille, in Normandy, with estates in Northamptonshire, and perhaps due to her influence in Hallamshire, a small satellite from the parent house settled in Ecclesfield. When this took place is not certain, but if evidence given before Parliament in 1376 is to be believed, then the Priory was founded three hundred years before that i.e. in the late 1000s.

http://www.*****.co.uk/priory.htm

Guest Gramps

Is this the Original (1819) list or the Gatty Edition (1869) list ?

Must be the Gatty edition. Sir John Brown didn't move into Endcliffe Hall until 1864.

I knew that, just asking the question to get people to read the list and think about it ...

Obvious question (for newer Members maybe) - Who was Sir John Brown, what did he do ? Do we have a link to information about him - is he one of the Hallamshire Worthies for example or do we already have a thread where he has been discussed.

Endcliffe Hall ?? (he says, feigning ignorance)

Hopefully once we get into this (300+ pages into it) we should be able to provide links to Maps showing where places mentioned are/were.

If you think of any other questions we should be asking please post them as replies to the appropriate page; not just you Gramps, everyone.

Three copies of the same scan (in case a "picture"=person wants to have a pop at it).

Mr Girling (Curate) and Dr. Gatty, from a cracked lantern slide. Picture by Cyril Slinn.

I'll see what I can do. :)

Guest Gramps

I knew that, just asking the question to get people to read the list and think about it ...

Stupid old fool I am, - I should have realised.

Lesson learned.

Stupid old fool I am, - I should have realised.

Lesson learned.

"You are no FOOL Sucker, I'm not getting on no plane !"

Mr. T - "A" Team

Tsavo, me and others have been guilty of answering questions too rapidly and not allowing discussion to build, hence the "I know and I've PM'd the person who asked", course some of us know (in this case I own an 1819 First Edition so easy to check) a variety of "stuff". What we're trying to do here is encourage searching and to increase knowledge.

If anything you could have provided more information on Brown, or better still, links to existing threads with the information (Worthies, Maps, Made in Sheffield etc), not everyone will know him; most of us are old enought to have once known but now forgotten.

It's getting increasingly difficult to navigate around this Site as a newcomer, I can remember things I posted in 2007 but finding them that's a task.

This document is the Holy Grail of Sheffield History books, it should provide us all with lots of opportunity to bring more order and to contribute additional information to a 140 year old update to a 190 year old Masterpeice.

Happy hunting and "Get some Nuts"

I hope you've seen the Snickers advert, otherwise that's going to sound pretty weird lol

Gatty's Hunter's History of Hallamshire (1869)

There will be more of this posted over the Bank Holiday weekend; hopefully we'll get some replies and further information and so on.