Bakeries

graham c

THE BAKERIES IN SHEFFIELD WERE PLENTIFUL IN MY LIFETIME BUT THEY'VE ALL BUT DISAPPEARED.

CAN YOU REMEMBER "any body's butter but GILLOTTS bread". FLETCHERS USED TO MAKE BREAD. AS DID CASTLE BAKERY, BALTIC BAKERY, STORIES BAKERY, GUNSTONES, DAVY'S, AND THEN THERE WAS A CONNECTION WITH DON BAKERY, W.A.BROOMS, NEWBOULDS AND SUNBLEST. ALL JOINED TOGETHER BY BUY OUTS AND AMALGAMATIONS.

THERE MUST BE MORE. THINKING CAPS ON.

I ASSISTED ON THE FLETCHERS AND GILLOTTS VANS WHEN I WAS A KID, TAKING ORDERS TO DOORS WHILST THEY SERVED IN VAN. DID NOT HAND ALL TIPS OVER THOUGH.

DID YOU NOTICE HOW QUICK YOU GET LILS BREADCAKES. ITS THE GLOVER LADS ON THERE SPEEDWAY BIKES. BUT I AGREE. THE BEST IN SHEFFIELD BAR THOSE OTHERS THINK ARE BETTER!!

Guest tsavo

They sure are, but was amazed to find no hot pork sandwiches any more, on my visit last year. After all, Lilly's was founded on them.

They sure are, but was amazed to find no hot pork sandwiches any more, on my visit last year. After all, Lilly's was founded on them.

Beres have the monopoly on Pork Sandwiches now in North Sheffield.

Numerous shops (two within yards of each other in Hillsborough itself) and a factory on Herries Road where all the pork is roast, apparently.

Does lovely Dripping, and home-made pork pies as well as loads of other little treats.

Guest coffee cup

A close second to Beres for Pork sandwiches is Biltons in Hillsborough, they also do some rather good Dripping, we go there for a 1/4 of mucky dripping and a burnt white loaf, and could easily demolish the lot in one sitting. It is like a feast.

:P:P:P

Think Crawshaws also do Hot Pork sandwiches, well it smells like they do when ever I have Walked past.

Funny you should mention Biltons.

I discovered the Pork sarnies there a couple of weeks ago - definately compares well with Beres.

Went to Beres on Saturday and they now cut the pork wafer thin - you can hardly taste it!!! Bad move. (Although the 'dip' is always lovely!)

Guest tsavo

Gone, but not forgotten, (by me at any rate) is Brooms on Leopold Street. Enough pork in their hot pork sarnie for 2 sarnies. Always bought an extra breadcake so ended up with 2. Then dash round to Davys in Fargate for an elephants foot. Who worried about healthy eating in the 60s? Not many.

Guest carlie167

THE BAKERIES IN SHEFFIELD WAS PLENTIFUL IN MY LIFETIME BUT THEVE ALL BUT DISSAPPEARED

CAN YOU REMEMBER "any body's butter but GILLOTTS bread". FLETCHERS USED TO MAKE BREAD. AS DID CASTLE BAKERY, BALTIC BAKERY,STORIES BAKERY,GUNSTONES, DAVY'S, AND THEN THERE WAS A CONNECTION WITH DON BAKERY,W.A.BROOMS, NEWBOULDS AND SUNBLEST.ALL JOINED TOGETHER BY BUY OUTS AND AMMALGAMATIONS.

THERE MUST BE MORE.THINKING CAPS ON.

I ASSISTED ON THE FLETCHERS AND GILLOTTS VANS WHEN I WAS A KID,TAKING ORDERS TO DOORS WHILST THEY SERVED IN VAN.DID NOT HAND ALL TIPS OVER THOUGH.

Just come across this, and had to say I worked at Castle Bakeries. It was my first job after leaving school. I worked an the counter and we were always busy particularly when the factories turned out, but it was a good job and I enjoyed it. :)

I do like Bere's pork sandwiches and yes Biltons are also good. Mind you I always buy some black pudding from Bere's, you can't get decent black pudding anywhere outside Sheffield.

Are Funk's still doing pork sandwiches?

Guest coffee cup

I do like Bere's pork sandwiches and yes Biltons are also good. Mind you I always buy some black pudding from Bere's, you can't get decent black pudding anywhere outside Sheffield.

Are Funk's still doing pork sandwiches?

Don't know if Funks still do Pork Sandwiches. but their breadcakes are top class lol

THE BAKERIES IN SHEFFIELD WAS PLENTIFUL IN MY LIFETIME BUT THEVE ALL BUT DISSAPPEARED

CAN YOU REMEMBER "any body's butter but GILLOTTS bread". FLETCHERS USED TO MAKE BREAD. AS DID CASTLE BAKERY, BALTIC BAKERY,STORIES BAKERY,GUNSTONES, DAVY'S, AND THEN THERE WAS A CONNECTION WITH DON BAKERY,W.A.BROOMS, NEWBOULDS AND SUNBLEST.ALL JOINED TOGETHER BY BUY OUTS AND AMMALGAMATIONS.

THERE MUST BE MORE.THINKING CAPS ON.

I ASSISTED ON THE FLETCHERS AND GILLOTTS VANS WHEN I WAS A KID,TAKING ORDERS TO DOORS WHILST THEY SERVED IN VAN.DID NOT HAND ALL TIPS OVER THOUGH.

Not much, but, from http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/searchdir_main.html

J. LYONS (& Co. Limited) bakery 2 Milk Street White's 1919

DON Bakery Co. 92 Middlewood Road; Crookes Place; 193 Main Road, Darnall; 9 Wicker & 581 A White's 1919

William Arthur BROOM Baker (Don Bakery Co.) h. 92 Middlewood Road White's 1919

John OLDALE Bakery manager 87 Wellcarr Road, Norton Woodseats Kelly's 1925

Mrs Mary TRICKETT Bakery 57 & 59 Wellfield Road Kelly's 1925

Mary TRICKETT Bakery Kelly's 1925

THE BAKERIES IN SHEFFIELD WERE PLENTIFUL IN MY LIFETIME BUT THEY'VE ALL BUT DISAPPEARED.

CAN YOU REMEMBER "any body's butter but GILLOTTS bread". FLETCHERS USED TO MAKE BREAD. AS DID CASTLE BAKERY, BALTIC BAKERY, STORIES BAKERY, GUNSTONES, DAVY'S, AND THEN THERE WAS A CONNECTION WITH DON BAKERY, W.A.BROOMS, NEWBOULDS AND SUNBLEST. ALL JOINED TOGETHER BY BUY OUTS AND AMALGAMATIONS.

I ASSISTED ON THE FLETCHERS AND GILLOTTS VANS WHEN I WAS A KID, TAKING ORDERS TO DOORS WHILST THEY SERVED IN VAN. DID NOT HAND ALL TIPS OVER THOUGH.

Stories Bakery Darnall fantastic - breadcakes, apple charlottes to die for, egg custards fantastic bread and pastries. I used to go with my nan and mum during the 50s and 60s.

Remember Winter's Bakery , they had one in Fitzwilliam Street and one on Meadow Street?

Their meat and potato pies and their bread were yummy. :P

Guest Michael Astill

Very Interesting Re subject of Old Bakery Firms in Sheffield , My Dad Ken Astill after WW2 Worked at Gillots Bakery for a While , I am now 69 but Remember so Well Davys , E C Bell , Shaws of Hunters Bar, Transfield Ham & Potted Beef & Pork Pies, Hartleys Potted Beef & Salmon, We went into Business on our Own in 1958 , Taking over from Mr & Mrs Charlie Bedford 794 Chesterfield Rd Woodseats it then became K & V Astill about 1961 we bought another Shop at Walkley . Our Shops were very busy , & of course in the 50s & 60s there were lots of small bakeries in Sheffield & Flour Mills , Fletchers made a good loaf for a plant bakery , also there was Gunstones-Newbolds-Sunblest -Styans-Baltic Bakery-Don Bakery -Hammonds Bakery -J W Turner [Brian ] Arthur Black ,Woodseats, Mr Binks Healey -Arnold Myers-Fretwell Downing amazing confectioners & caterers-Storys Bakery Darnall - Winters Bakery famous for M & P pies- and so on--------------

Some of those names bring back memories. I used to see Gunstone's vans - I wonder if they delivered to Gleadless Avenue where I lived - and recall Davy's. I think Fletcher's was the best-known in the area, or perhaps I thought that because that's what Mum bought.

There was a bakery near us - roughly between Gleadless Common and Hollinsend Road, not far from the Congregational chapel. There was a footpath that went past it, and sometimes my friends and I used to walk along that path and savour the lovely aroma. I never saw a name on the wall so I don't know whose bakery it was. About that time there was a TV children's comedy series called 'The Little Rascals', and in one episode one of the kids suggested "going down to the bakery so we can smell the bread baking". I did not find this funny at all, I just thought, "Ah, so American kids do that too".

The shop at the end of our avenue, Jenkinson's which became Brown's, stocked "Penny Loaves" which were tiny miniature loaves priced (at least for a few years) at 1d. I wonder if they came from that mysterious bakery which I mentioned above.

My mum worked a long time at Davy's factory on Paternoster Road. They made a lot of Pork Pies and cakes as well as bread. My brother-in-law worked on repairing the bread machines. When my sister went to work at Davy's my mum introduced him to her. In 1973 they married and are still married. He went to work at Sunblest after Davy's closed down, retiring from there a few years ago.

For those that are interested, there is an excellent illustrated publication about the Fletchers' Bakery Group, details as follows:-

Titled: Secret Ingredient: Story of Fletcher's Seven Bakeries

Hardcover: 112 pages

Publisher: EP Publishing Ltd; 1st edition (January 1979)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0715812637

ISBN-13: 978-0715812631

Still available on Amazon, and generally, moderately priced, although most seem to originate from overseas.

I suspect though that I am one of the very few sad beggars to actually own one.

My aunt knew the  Fletchers and was always puzzled how a self confessed Communist could have built up a successful capitalist business.

Do you remember the musical rhym in their adverts " Better Fetch a Fletcher Loaf ", always remember that. When my daughter was young, we couldn't pass a Fletcher's shop without going in and getting a 'Mini Loaf' and some of their 'Iced Top Tarts', Lemon, Chocolate, and Bakewell with a cherry on top. Oooohhh! Lovely!

On 15/03/2007 at 12:43, graham c said:

Yes my family had Stories Bakery. They had several shops and it was the first electronic bakery. If anyone has any pictures or remember s it, please let me know.