Lady's Bridge

Sheffield History

As a child Charlie Peace lived in a house on the corner of Nursery Street and Lady's Bridge. The pavement was lower than the street.

Took these photos in 1978, first trip back to Sheffield after emigrating. Almost certain they are from Lady's Bridge - could they be from anywhere else? Does it look anything like this now? Are any of these buildings still there?

77? . . . 78? . . . . Alzeimers

Photos merged.

I've just discovered this topic and was interested to see the historic photos; thank you to all who posted them.

It evoked a distant memory of my Dad telling me that Lady's Bridge was the lowest point in Sheffield and was 200 feet ASL. Was he correct?

According to the font of all knowledge,Wikipedia ,the lowest part of Sheffield is on the boundary with Rotherham at Blackburn Meadows…which is 69 metres (225 ft)asl.

• Like 1

According to another source Lady’s Bridge is 50metre(164ft) asl….so not sure who to believe. ….must dig out my old OS.

The old adage that Rotherham, on account of Blackburn Meadows ,was the home of Sheffield s**t was rectified some time ago when our sewage works were transferred into the City by a boundary change.

On 03/01/2023 at 18:22, SteveHB said:

A few photographs of the Lady's Bridge area taken on a visit to the Pollen Market last year, its held once a month in the spring/summer, worth a visit if you want something different for the garden. The last time i went in the pub now called Petal was in the 60s when it was the Bull & Mouth. The Alexandra Hotel building was converted into student accommodation a few years ago.

The link is to the Friends of Sheffield Castle web site showing a view of the location in 1937.

https://friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk/castle-market-in-1937/

Ladys Bridge.jpg

Petal.jpg

Pollen Mkt.jpg

• Like 1