A Walk up Burngreave Road!

dunsbyowl1867

Old Canny Street Kid wrote in another thread

"There were many very large houses on Burngreave Road from Gower Street up to Abbeyfeild Road, and I often find myself wondering who lived in some of them in their Victorian/Edwardian heyday. What stories they could tell!"

Here's a few :

Just up from St Catherine's Roman Catholic Church

Guest belboid

Old Canny Street Kid wrote in another thread

"There were many very large houses on Burngreave Road from Gower Street up to Abbeyfeild Road, and I often find myself wondering who lived in some of them in their Victorian/Edwardian heyday. What stories they could tell!"

Here's a few :

Just up from St Catherine's Roman Catholic Church

If I'm not mistaken that's Osborn (or Osborne) House, which was a children's home until 1997, having been bequeathed to the council in 1943. It was bought a few years ago by an un-named buyer, who hasn't been able to do anything with it, probably because it still has a convenant on it insisting it is used as a boys home of some kind (iirr).

More about it at http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/26nov02/osborn.htm

I always assumed that the builders were connected to Samuel Osborn, who had steel works with the office a few hundred yards down the road at what is now SADACCA on the Wicker, but I'm not really sure.

If I'm not mistaken that's Osborn (or Osborne) House, which was a children's home until 1997, having been bequeathed to the council in 1943. It was bought a few years ago by an un-named buyer, who hasn't been able to do anything with it, probably because it still has a convenant on it insisting it is used as a boys home of some kind (iirr).

I always assumed that the builders were connected to Samuel Osborn, who had steel works with the office a few hundred yards down the road at what is now SADACCA on the Wicker, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks Belboid - very interesting. That building is absolutely massive isn't it ? I note that the BM article was from 2002 so the statement

Let’s hope that this fine but badly damaged building will now be renovated so that when you come up Spital Hill from town, you no longer feel you’re entering a war zone.

was obviously ignored by the Council! 7 years more decay!

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I am sure there must still be people around in Sheffield who know something of the history of the former Osborn House. Certainly, I remember when it was a home, and one or two quite prominent people were involved in the management of it. I am not sure whether it had any direct link to Samuel Osborn's, or any member of that family, though I would not be surprised if this were so. As well as the offices on the corner of the Wicker and Blonk Street, Osborn's, of course, had extensive works on Rutland Road, not far from the old Royal Infirmary. And Samuel Osborn was major figure in his era: somewhere I recall reading some very interesting stories about his career, and he or one of his sons may have helped set up Osborn House. I always imagined that it was something to do with the Catholic Church.

In any event, this is a topic well worth trying to keep in the foreground until the full story emerges!

I am sure there must still be people around in Sheffield who know something of the history of the former Osborn House. Certainly, I remember when it was a home, and one or two quite prominent people were involved in the management of it. I am not sure whether it had any direct link to Samuel Osborn's, or any member of that family, though I would not be surprised if this were so. As well as the offices on the corner of the Wicker and Blonk Street, Osborn's, of course, had extensive works on Rutland Road, not far from the old Royal Infirmary. And Samuel Osborn was major figure in his era: somewhere I recall reading some very interesting stories about his career, and he or one of his sons may have helped set up Osborn House. I always imagined that it was something to do with the Catholic Church.

In any event, this is a topic well worth trying to keep in the foreground until the full story emerges!

There are some records in the Archives - of the home I assume ;-)

Sheffield Archives: Osborn House [1943-1973]

Guest belboid

Thanks Belboid - very interesting. That building is absolutely MASSIVE isn't it ? I note that the BM article was from 2002 so the statement

Let’s hope that this fine but badly damaged building will now be renovated so that when you come up Spital Hill from town, you no longer feel you’re entering a war zone.

was obviously ignored by the Council! 7 years more decay!

it's no longer the councils' decision, twas they who flogged it on seven years ago. It went for £100,000 then, buyer unknown. It is a terrible shame it is still such a wreck.

I don't know Burngreave Road very well, however, a quick search ...

William LONGBOTTOM Physician & surgeon & medical & public vaccinator, Brightside West District 139 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Samuel MORTON Surgeon 8 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

George ROBINSON Surgeon 1 & 3 & 152 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Walter HALLAM Surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator Brighouse East District 30 & 32 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Frank S HARDY Surgeon 32 Burngreave Road White's 1911

William Edwin HEAL Surgeon 4 Burngreave Road White's 1911

Henry George DICKMAN Surgeon 8 & 10 Burngreave Road White's 1911

W. Dakin MART Surgeon 109 Burngreave Road White's 1911

John WIER Physician & Surgeon 1 & 3 Burngreave Road White's 1911

William LONGBOTTOM Physician, surgeon & medical officer and pyblic vaccinator for Brightside 139 & 141 Burngreave Road White's 1911

John Henry BROWN Physician & surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Road White's 1911

James MACKINNON Surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator for the Pitsmoor district 139 Burngreave Road White's 1919

W T Dakin MART Surgeon 109 Burngreave Road White's 1919

William C TAYLOR Surgeon 5 & 7 Burngreave Road White's 1919

John WIER Physician & surgeon 1 & 3 Burngreave Road White's 1919

William Rous KEMP Surgeon 103 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Alexander R R HUDSON Physician & surgeon 4 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Frank S HARDY Surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for the Burngreave District, S 32 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Arthur Henry Howard HOWARD Physician & surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Road; h. 72 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Henry George DICKMAN Surgeon 8 & 10 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Frederick Richard BRAY Physician & surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Road White's 1919

James MACKINNON DSO Surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for the Pitsmoor district h. 139 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

W T Dakin MART Surgeon 109 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Frank S. HARDY surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for the Burngreave district 32 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Henry George DICKMAN Surgeon 8 & 10 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

George JACKSON Physician & surgeon 5 & 7 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Miss Annie D SYKES Physician & surgeon 103 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

John WIER Physician & surgeon 1 & 3 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Frederick Richard BRAY Physician & Surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

John BROWN Surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Arthur Henry Howard HOWARD Physician & surgeon 12-14 Burngreave Rd.;h. 72 Burngreave Rd Kelly's 1925

John Henry BROWN Surgeon 14 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Alexander HUDSON Physician & Surgeon 4 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

So they weren't all postmen, shop assistants etc.

• Like 1

I don't know Burngreave Road very well, however, a quick search ...

William LONGBOTTOM Physician & surgeon & medical & public vaccinator, Brightside West District 139 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Samuel MORTON Surgeon 8 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

George ROBINSON Surgeon 1 & 3 & 152 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Dr Robinson

and his house

Well done, you have hit the nail on the head; stuff gets posted, pick it up run with it; expand, develop. Is he a "Worthie" ? Is his home on a Map, come on Folks, we can make so much more of our existing information,

A perfect response Dunsby.

Thomas William DEY Professor Of Dancing 107 Burngreave Road White's 1911

William Henry PEASEGOOD Professor of music 89 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Herbert Chisholm JACKSON Professor of Music 110 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Herbert Chisholm JACKSON Professor of music 110 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

John Henry LARDER Professor of music 116 Burngreave Road White's 1919

John Henry LARDER Professor of music 116 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

John WHITEHEAD Professor of music 89 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Francis CHAMBERLAIN manager 173 Burngreave Road White's 1911

John D THOMPSON Manager 105 Burngreave Road White's 1911

Benj. Saunders JONES manager 100 Burngreave Road White's 1911

Rowland WILSON manager 79 Burngreave Road White's 1911

Thomas Charles HURDLEY Manager 91 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Thomas David EVANS Manager 23 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Harry Addy FRITH Steel mill manager 65 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Frederick DARLEY Manager 187 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Thomas Arthur CALOW Manager 108 Burngreave Road White's 1919

James CLARKE Manager 40 Burngreave Road White's 1919

William Creswick BRAMELD Manager 95 Burngreave Road White's 1919

G. B. BAGSHAW Manager Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Bruce LYON Manager 161 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Frederick DARLEY Manager 187 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Thomas Arthur CALOW Manager 106 Burngreave Rd Kelly's 1925

Gilbert G BAGSHAW Branch manager, Sheffield Savings Bank Vestry Hall, Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Tom SWIFT Manager 1 Burngrove Place, Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

James CLARKE Manager 40 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

No shortage of money then ?

Mrs Phoebe Ann MADDEN Dentist 56 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

John Walter CARR Dentist 75 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

(Spike Milligan ...

I had a job as a toilet cleaner; it might be s$*t to you but it was bread and butter to me !)

Joseph Jefferson SMITH Secretary 107 Burngreave Road White's 1919

William Edgar STANLEY Secretary (Sybry, Searls & Co. Ltd,) 62 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Thomas W CASEY MP & general secretary Winding & General Engineers' Society 101 Burngreave Road & St Peter's Close White's 1919

Thomas W CASEY MP; General Secretary Winding & General Engineers' Society 101 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Jack CLOWES Draughtsman & secretary Burngreave Unionist Club. Ltd. 36 Sturton Road & Burngreave Road White's 1919

Jack CLOWES Secretary, Burngreave Unionist Club Ltd. Burngreave Road White's 1919

Alfred James BAILEY J. P. District Secretary National Union Of Genreal & Municipal Workers 21 Church St; h. 55 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

T H BAKER Honorary Secretary Foremen's Mutual Benefit Society Club 138 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Albert CLEATHERO Secretary 54 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

I couldn't honestly direct you to Burngreave Road; just a guess !

John S SLACK Superintendent, West Riding Constabulary 9-11 Burngreave Road White's 1911

James SOMERSET Police superintendent 9 Burngreave Road White's 1919

James SOMERSET Superintendent, West Riding Constabulary 9-11 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Samuel FLINT Superintendent 24 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Henry M CLARK Insurance superintendent 20 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Henry M CLARK Insurance superintendent, Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society h. 20 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

George Hartley STEVENSON Superintendent Burngreave Cemetery Burngreave Road White's 1919

Samuel FLINT Superintendent 24 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

Henry MAXEY 150 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1893

Henry MAXEY 150 Burngreave Road White's 1911

Rowland WILSON 150 Burngreave Road White's 1919

Charles Haydn HALLATT chemist 387 Attercliffe Common; h. 150 Burngreave Road Kelly's 1925

And the next:

148 Burngreave Road

I lived here with my parents from 1954 to 1969.

We had the garden that all our schoolfriends liked to come and play in.

We had a holly bush at the top of the garden which made a brilliant den. At the very top of the garden was our field on which we used to pitch a bell tent. It was quite scary sleeping in it at night as the cemetary was just over the wall.

During the late fifties we kept chickens for eggs and also to sell to the West Indian community.

In the next field was the 205 St Catherines Scout hut which I helped to build.