Steam Workings through Sheffield

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Just seen a post on Sheffield Indexers about the Tornado steam train being in Sheffield on Tuesday 24th March. Is this true and where best to see it and what time ? The poster was asking for directions to Wincobank Junction and Mill Race junction.

Dean.

Guest bus man

Its listed as a light engine movement (suspect loco and support coach) York NRM - Sheffield - Barrow Hill tuesday 24th March 2009 suspect its to get it threre for there open day which think is in april

No times listed Ill see what I can do , however , owing to recent major problems there may be problems getting them .

Guest Killamarsh GC

Its coming to sheff for a naming ceremony, east mids trains are naming a unit tornado on tuesday

Guest bus man

As its technicaly a LE movement I assume it will do what it did on the test run and run tender first to barrow hill there is nothing in the timeings I ve seen which sugests it turns, dont think they can turn it at BH as its too long even with the turntable extensions

As its technicaly a LE movement I assume it will do what it did on the test run and run tender first to barrow hill there is nothing in the timeings I ve seen which sugests it turns, dont think they can turn it at BH as its too long even with the turntable extensions

So it will run into Sheffield forward, then reverse out via Nunnery junction tender 1st to Woodhouse and the Barrowhill.

In the past on steam specials to Sheffield, would turn the loco at Dore Triangle.

Just trying to plan a good location

Guest Killamarsh GC

Turning loco's at Dore has to be in an emergency as there are no signalled moves to complete it. The last time we used it was for a crane that had come for the track relaying at Sheffield North last year when it arrived marshalled the wrong way round. We got special permisssion for the move and i accompanied the loco driver for the move.

more.

A fantastic bit of engineering!

Great photos Dean - see they managed to kepp the crowds away then?

Guest Trefcon

Was told it was arriving at platform 5, so every one headed that way and then it pulls onto platforn 1! It did then pull out and reverse onto 5, i think but i had to go.

Yes, you weren't allowed near it! about 150 people there to see it, all well behaved.

Dean.

As Dean says Tornado arrived at Platform 1

Then after leaving its support coach moved to Platform 7 via platform 5

In Platform 7 the naming ceremony with a East Midlands Trains Power car being named Tornado took place

It then returned to platform 1 to pick up the support coach

After leaving Sheffield on time the route took Tornado via Nunnery Junction and on to the ex GC tracks, via Darnall, Woodhouse, Beighton to Barrow Hill

Seen here at Woodhouse Station

Towards Woodhouse junction where it would diverge right towards Beighton.

After leaving Sheffield on time the route took Tornado via Nunnery Junction and on to the ex GC tracks, via Darnall, Woodhouse, Beighton to Barrow Hill

Seen here at Woodhouse Station

Towards Woodhouse junction where it would diverge right towards Beighton.

Great pictures from Deansgirl and Stuart0742 of the Tornado locomotive.

I suspect that Stuart will have "wagged it" from work to go and sit beside the track in the best position to get these pictures.

(Note that its an old teacher using the kids expression for skivving off AWOL from school, - "wagged it")

Great pictures from Deansgirl and Stuart0742 of the Tornado locomotive.

I suspect that Stuart will have "wagged it" from work to go and sit beside the track in the best position to get these pictures.

(Note that its an old teacher using the kids expression for skivving off AWOL from school, - "wagged it")

The advantage of having a job with flexi-time is that you start early, acrue some spare hours then you can have a day off.

Even got the Mrs to sit beside the track today as well as standing for a hour and half with all us old trainspotters at the Midland Station.

The advantage of having a job with flexi-time is that you start early, acrue some spare hours then you can have a day off.

Even got the Mrs to sit beside the track today as well as standing for a hour and half with all us old trainspotters at the Midland Station.

So she got the day off as well!!

If I had known perhaps I should have wagged it (There's a novelty, - a teacher wagging it from school!)

So she got the day off as well!!

If I had known perhaps I should have wagged it (There's a novelty, - a teacher wagging it from school!)

It was her 1st day as a trainee trainspotter, buying her a notebook tomorrow lol

It was her 1st day as a trainee trainspotter, buying her a notebook tomorrow lol

Won't she need an anorak as well?

Guest Killamarsh GC

It was a great day at Sheffield yesterday, due to the changes in platform arrangements (due to the fact steal loco's can't use crossovers between platforms) I was called in to conduct the loco through its shunting!! Two weeks ago I had my first footplate ride on her between Tyne Yard and Darlington, what an experience!!

It will run tender first from Sheffield along with its support coach

What configuration do you think the two A4s be in when they're transiting to Barrow Hill then?