Noahs Arks

gibbo47

Does anybody else think that the three Noahs Arks in your list at mansfield road,four lane ends and hollinsend are all the same pub?. At various times Intake has been in Handsworth district and hollinsend.

I believe you could be correct, however, I'm more familiar with the Noah's at Crookes top. If you can put your thoughts on the matter into a statement, we'll kick it about between us. If the consencus of opinion is that they are one and the same place then we will update our records.

Many Thanks for your input, the lists are not claimed to be perfect, just an attempt to "put the information out, for comments".

If you spot any more errors (I know there are other errors, or as in this case, duplicates) please let us know - we appreciate constructive criticism - anything along the lines of

you list is wrong regarding "Pub name" because of "Evidence"

if greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Site, have fun, wallow, ask stuff, pass comment ...

Map Chaps, do we have this area covered please ?

(I'm still hiding from the twelve 1959 maps ...)

The Noahs Ark is at or near the junction of Mansfield Rd and Hollinsend Rd so it is likely that at least 2 are the same place

Not quite sure of "Four Lane Ends" Handsworth, You can't really describe that area as Handsworth, will dig a little deeper

The Noahs Ark is at or near the junction of Mansfield Rd and Hollinsend Rd so it is likely that at least 2 are the same place

Not quite sure of "Four Lane Ends" Handsworth, You can't really describe that area as Handsworth, will dig a little deeper

Right

That junction was called "Four Lane Ends" I didn't know that, or did I and I have forgot

So as gibbo47 says al 3 entries could be the same place.

But

We then have 2 conflicting entries for 1951 for Mansfield Rd and Four Lane Ends Handsworth

What is the source data for 1951?

Right

That junction was called "Four Lane Ends" I didn't know that, or did I and I have forgot

But

We then have 2 conflicting entries for 1951 for Mansfield Rd and Four Lane Ends Handsworth

Google Street View

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...6106558786,,0,5

Further up mansfield road on intake school in stone it says Handsworth school board 1884 it was once known as Handsworth district.

Right

But

1951 transcribed data; source Internet.

Do we have a conclusion ? Are they one and the same place ?

1951 transcribed data; source Internet.

Do we have a conclusion ? Are they one and the same place ?

Yes, only reservation are the 1951 names

Guest transit

....looking up towards it , although the 95 bus blocks a bit! ( AEC Regent V's ) - note also ,the old "Rex cinema " behind (now a carpark with supermarket alongside!)

I live just up the road from the Noahs, and yes they are all one and the same.

Ok then we all agree they are the same place.

So who was the landlord in 1951 Albert Furniss or Henry Wolstenholme?

Ok then we all agree they are the same place.

So who was the landlord in 1951 Albert Furniss or Henry Wolstenholme?

Noah's Ark is fairly local to where I live. Suprisingly I can't remember me and Stuart0742 ever drinking in there.

It is on Mansfield Road.

It is close to Hollinsend Road (the pub on the corner of these 2 roads being the Royal Oak)

"4 lane ends" is a fairly common term in Sheffield to describe a fairly major crossroads ans I have heard the junction referred to as such and the 1950's OS map clearly marks it with this name.

It's a bit of a silly name for this particular junction as although you can go in 4 directions it only involves 3 roads (Hollinsend, Hollybank and Mansfield which passes straight through the junction. Birley Moor Road starts lower down near the old bus terminus and squash / bowling club on the shire brook which marks the old boundary between Sheffield and Derbyshire.

Given that there are several "4 lane ends" in Sheffield and that Handsworth is a mile or two away I can't see it being this one.

The noahs is my local i will ask around to see who was landlord in 1951.

Some very good old photos of the area around four lane ends inside the pub.

The noahs is my local i will ask around to see who was landlord in 1951.

Some very good old photos of the area around four lane ends inside the pub.

In our time we have drunk in the following pubs on Mansfield Road

The Elm Tree (managing to avoid fights) NOW CLOSED

The Woodthorpe Arms (both as a traditional and a crappy "theme pub") NOW GONE + REPLACED WITH NEW HOUSES

The Ball (only narrowly managing to avoid fights)

The Foxwood (still do sometimes)

The Royal Oak (rarely, best not to when there's a football match)

But we have never actually been in the Noahs Ark

In 1948 the landlord of the norfolk is Henry Wolstenholme address 225 handsworth road s9

did he run two pubs at the same time or is it miss transcribed.

Is there four roads that cross in handsworth?.

In our time we have drunk in the following pubs on Mansfield Road

The Elm Tree (managing to avoid fights) NOW CLOSED

The Woodthorpe Arms (both as a traditional and a crappy "theme pub") NOW GONE + REPLACED WITH NEW HOUSES

The Ball (only narrowly managing to avoid fights)

The Foxwood (still do sometimes)

The Royal Oak (rarely, best not to when there's a football match)

But we have never actually been in the Noahs Ark

The Noah's Ark

The Royal Oak (see what I mean about when theres a match on from the adverts outside)

The Foxwood / Embassy Ballroom (a favourite haunt of DaveH / Stuart0742)

The Ball

The Woodthorpe Arms (site of)

The Elm Tree (courtesey of Google Street View)