Grove Lodge and Cottage for Dunsbyowl

Guest Gramps

Guest Gramps

Hi Karin, there is no chance of locating the Greaves Hotel now, - I think the area was cleared before that last war. A few photos here, taken by the City Engineers department around 1930, show how depressed the Harvest lane area had become. It would have been very different when Edward set up home on Pye Bank; at that time Harvest lane was a pleasant country lane leading up to Woodside through allotment gardens, but by the time he died it was already becoming a slum area with cheap high density housing.

picturesheffield u00563

picturesheffield u00562

picturesheffield s16836

picturesheffield s16824

I notice in the report of the inquest you posted it states that Edward's right hand was paralysed so perhaps he had already suffered a stroke; this would go some way to explaining his state of mind.

Guest Karin

Thank you Dunsbyowl! I do have an article from a very long time ago, but this one provides a little more on the circumstances. It is indeed a sad story..a tragic love story.

I do appreciate you finding this. Could you please tell me how you got to the "thread"? Just trying to understand a little more on how to use the search application.

Karin

Yes, I never looked at it that way. A stroke would surely have affected his mind.

Thanks Gramps.

Guest Shawn Vieira

I recently was given a straight razor that belonged to my Great Grandfather and was possibly his fathers. My Great Grandfather was born July 29 1898. My Great Great Grandfather was born 18 Aug 1855. The razor is stamped E. Hobson Snig Hill Sheffield what I have been able to find is that E.Hobson was open from as early as 1825 to 1852. So I am beginning to wonder if this might have been my Great Great Great Grandfathers Straight. Since my Great Great Grandfather was born 3 years after the last record I could find. 

Karin, It's an interesting thought that I am shaving with something that your GGG Grandfather made, My GGG Grandfather used and has passed down.

Gramps, Dunsbyowl1867, This is a great forum. Thanks!

Of the 3 razors in the group photo it is the one on the bottom

IMG_20161013_225146 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20161013_225010.jpg

Plan of several Estates the property of [William - changed to James] Boothby situate at West Grove near Sheffield, 1828. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04200&pos=12&action=zoom&id=105084

Marked: Birley's Charity Land, Turnpike  Road from Barnsley to Sheffield [Pitsmoor Road],  Harvest Lane, proposed streets; land [belonging to George Bustard Greaves Esquire,  Mr Duke’s property, Jonathan Marshall, Esquire; Mr Harmer, Thomas Naylor, Pie Bank [Pye Bank], pleasure ground, farm yard, Middle Field Garden, Far Field, gardens occupied by Mr Needham, Lingard, Hewitt, Rawson, Richardson and Wostenhome, Robinson, Kent, Bingley, Twigg, and Kitchen.