Grove Lodge and Cottage for Dunsbyowl

Guest Gramps

Guest Gramps

Plans as requested. The 1890 map identifies the properties by name, and they're easy enough to identify on the 1850s map. The house called West Grove was lost to development. There was also a Grove House further up Pitsmoor road on the left but I don't have a large scale map for it. Do you have names and dates for occupants of these two properties ?

Sorry about the fuzziness, - the maps were in acetate covers which seems to interfere with the focus on my camera.

1890 Plan

1850 Plan

Plans as requested. The 1890 map identifies the properties by name, and they're easy enough to identify on the 1850s map. The house called West Grove was lost to development. There was also a Grove House further up Pitsmoor road on the left but I don't have a large scale map for it. Do you have names and dates for occupants of these two properties ?

Sorry about the fuzziness, - the maps were in acetate covers which seems to interfere with the focus on my camera.

1890 Plan

1850 Plan

Many thanks Gramps - Collected a couple of grand tomb photos in Pitsmoor Churchyard - good to see where they lived. Anyone any further information

Many thanks Gramps - Collected a couple of grand tomb photos in Pitsmoor Churchyard - good to see where they lived. Anyone any further information

Edward Hobson, merchant of Snig Hill.

Guest Gramps

Here are a few 'bits' :)

Edward and Hannah Hobson are shown at Pye Bank in the 1841 census, along with their children - Henry, Caroline, John, George, and Eliza.

In 1851 Edward is aged 51 and Hannah 52. George (20) and Caroline (19) are at home on the night of the census.

From the directories we have

1825 Edward - 'razor manufacturer and dealer in all kinds of hardware' at 18 Snig Hill

1828/9 Edward - 'hardwaremen and razor manufacturers' at 18 Snig Hill

1833 Edward - 'cutlery manufacturer and hardware dealer' at 18 Snig Hill

1841 Edward - 'wholesale dealer. in Sheffield goods' at 67 Snig Hill

1846 Edward - 'pen and pocket knife, razor and scissor manufacturers' at 67 Snig Hill

1846 Edward - 'hardwaremen' at 68 Snig Hill

1849 Edward - 'cutlery dealer and merchant' at 68 Snig Hill, house at Tower Hill

1852 Edward - 'cutlery dealer and merchant' at 68 Snig Hill, house Pye Bank

The George named in the first MI is probably the son who was 20 years old in 1851 but I haven't looked for him.

Thank you Gramps

Here are a few 'bits' :)

Edward and Hannah Hobson are shown at Pye Bank in the 1841 census, along with their children - Henry, Caroline, John, George, and Eliza.

In 1851 Edward is aged 51 and Hannah 52. George (20) and Caroline (19) are at home on the night of the census.

From the directories we have

1825 Edward - 'razor manufacturer and dealer in all kinds of hardware' at 18 Snig Hill

1828/9 Edward - 'hardwaremen and razor manufacturers' at 18 Snig Hill

1833 Edward - 'cutlery manufacturer and hardware dealer' at 18 Snig Hill

1841 Edward - 'wholesale dealer. in Sheffield goods' at 67 Snig Hill

1846 Edward - 'pen and pocket knife, razor and scissor manufacturers' at 67 Snig Hill

1846 Edward - 'hardwaremen' at 68 Snig Hill

1849 Edward - 'cutlery dealer and merchant' at 68 Snig Hill, house at Tower Hill

1852 Edward - 'cutlery dealer and merchant' at 68 Snig Hill, house Pye Bank

The George named in the first MI is probably the son who was 20 years old in 1851 but I haven't looked for him.

Guest skeets

Thank you Gramps

HI Dunbyowl The epitaph on the first tombstone is the strangest one l have ever seen . skeets

Guest Karin

Hello Grove Lodge and Cottage for Dunsbyowl,

I have just registered with this site. AND, EDWARD AND HANNAH HOBSON are my GGGGrandparents! Could you tell me if you are related and how? This is so exciting, I have yet to touch base via internet with anyone related to the HOBSONS.

I look forward to your email to me.

Thanks very much.

I have just registered with this site. AND, EDWARD AND HANNAH HOBSON are my GGGGrandparents! Could you tell me if you are related and how? This is so exciting, I have yet to touch base via internet with anyone related to the HOBSONS.

Thanks very much.

Sorry Karin I am not related - I just thought they were intersting gravestones. :)

Guest Gramps

Thanks very much.

Hi Karin,

Welcome to Sheffield History.

I looked a little further into this Hobson family - just info available via Sheffield Records OnLine.

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

It seems the business went to John Barber Hobson, who is listed as a Cutlery Dealer at 67 Snig hill in 1857 and just round the corner at 3 King street in 1893, house at 244 Fulwood Lane. This could be John the son of Edward aged 13 in the 1841 census and suggests that Edward's wife Hannah's maiden name was Barber. There were quite a number of Barber families in the cutlery business in Sheffield at that time.

In 1861 the census returns show an age agreement with the 13 year old John of 1841.

John Barber HOBSON 33 head YKS Sheffield

M A HOBSON 33 wife YKS Denby

M A HOBSON 5 daughter YKS Sheffield

J B HOBSON 2 son YKS Sheffield

To find people related to you and your Edward You might like to browse through the ENG-SHEFFIELD-L mailing list archives here ...

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/i.../ENG-SHEFFIELD/

I'm sure I've seen references to Sheffield Hobsons when digging around in these exchanges looking for something else. I'd say your chances of finding someone with the same ancestor are pretty good.

At least you now have photos of the family tomb thanks to Dunsbyowl.

Guest Karin

1890 Plan

1850 Plan

Hello Gramps,

Here is an ad for Edward Hobson of Grove Cottage, Pye Bank. Would you have a map for either location or a picture?

Karin

Guest Karin

George Hobson is one of three sons of Edward Hobson. The other two are John Barber Hobson m. Dec 25, 1852 Mary Ann nee Field Dyson and Henry (The Elder) Hobson b.1823 who m. Ann nee Pearce.

Henry (The Elder) Hobson was buried at Highgate with his wife Ann, son Alfred, and youngest daug. Marian.

I am directly related to Edward Hobson thru Henry S. (The Younger) Hobson and Warwick Theodore Hobson, my father's Dad.

Glad to see I was able to upload the Edward Hobson ad!

Karin

Guest Gramps

Hello Gramps,

Here is an ad for Edward Hobson of Grove Cottage, Pye Bank. Would you have a map for either location or a picture?

Karin

The houses have long gone, but would have been about where the black cross is on this Google map...

http://www.earthtool...4...p;t=7&m=Map

..about twenty minutes walk from Snig Hill, across the river by way of the old iron footbridge. On this Google map Snig Hill is just to the left of Castlegate.

There are several pictures of old Snig Hill but none of the houses on Pye Bank, - these are from Picture Sheffield.

picturesheffield s13052

picturesheffield s13053

picturesheffield s19525

picturesheffield s19526

picturesheffield s19536

Hi Karin & Gramps

I found this painting by A Wilson from 1895 - no 68 can just be seen on the right. Looks like it had become a furniture shop by then.

Hi Karin & Gramps

I found this painting by A Wilson from 1895 - no 68 can just be seen on the right. Looks like it had become a furniture shop by then.

In 1834 Pigot & Co Directory

Edward Hobson is recorded as dealing from No 18 Snig Hill

as

Pen & pocket knife manufacturer

Razor manufacturer

Scissor manufacturer

Table Kinfe manufacturer

Guest Gramps

Looking at that trade advert I think this photo shows the business on the extreme right.

Definitely I would say. The first-floor windows are typical of a cutler's workshop and the business was in manufacturing as well as merchanting.

Guest Karin

Definitely I would say. The first-floor windows are typical of a cutler's workshop and the business was in manufacturing as well as merchanting.

Hello Gramps and Dunsbyowl,

What a lovely surprise!! Thank you for the photos. It sure is nice to put a pic to an address. You both have been working hard while I was sleeping.

Karin lol

Hello Gramps and Dunsbyowl,

What a lovely surprise!! Thank you for the photos. It sure is nice to put a pic to an address. You both have been working hard while I was sleeping.

Karin lol

Hi Karin - these are less of a lovely surprise though I imagine you will be interested to see them. Already posted on the site under a 'Victorian Suicides' thread.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=8643

Guest Karin

Hi Karin - these are less of a lovely surprise though I imagine you will be interested to see them. Already posted on the site under a 'Victorian Suicides' thread.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=8643

Thank you Dunsbyowl! I do have an article from a very long time ago, but this one provides a little more on the circumstances. It is indeed a sad story..a tragic love story.

I do appreciate you finding this. Could you please tell me how you got to the "thread"? Just trying to understand a little more on how to use the search application.

Karin

Thank you Dunsbyowl! I do have an article from a very long time ago, but this one provides a little more on the circumstances. It is indeed a sad story..a tragic love story.

I do appreciate you finding this. Could you please tell me how you got to the "thread"? Just trying to understand a little more on how to use the search application.

Karin

Hi Karin,

Click on the search option top right & ener subject ie suicides - it may give you a message it can't find anything - keep entering it until th results display :) best wishes

Hi Karin,

Click on the search option top right & ener subject ie suicides - it may give you a message it can't find anything - keep entering it until th results display :) best wishes

Karin it looks as though the Greaves Hotels was just the venue for the inquest rather than the place Edward committed suicide!

Guest Karin

Karin it looks as though the Greaves Hotels was just the venue for the inquest rather than the place Edward committed suicide!

I apologize...not really familiar with the roads. Please do not assume me pushy, but I have tried everywhere to find the Greaves Hotel, in a way the name seems most appropriate doesn't it, but cannot. Am I mistaken that there is no actual hotel but it is the name of group of hotels?

Upon your response, I promise not to push the issue. You have been so patient with this newcomer.

Respectfully yours.

Karin

I apologize...not really familiar with the roads. Please do not assume me pushy, but I have tried everywhere to find the Greaves Hotel, in a way the name seems most appropriate doesn't it, but cannot. Am I mistaken that there is no actual hotel but it is the name of group of hotels?

Upon your response, I promise not to push the issue. You have been so patient with this newcomer.

Respectfully yours.

Karin

Follow this link to the pubs section!

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...?showtopic=6102