Captive Queen

dunsbyowl1867

She'd have been impressed :(

Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21587

May not be in the main list Dunsbyowl but it has been mentioned a few times in the Norfolk Park in the 1970's thread. SteveHB has posted pictures of all the Norfolk Park pubs there, mainly by myself, Poppychristina and SteveHB.

However, none of us seem to have a picture of this pub in our collection and SteveHb has been reduced, like yourself, to using a picturesheffield link.

As I prefer using our own pictures to picturesheffield links due to the extra hassle of getting to see what is usually a small low resolution version of the picture there is the challenge, - has anyone got a picture of the Captive Queen?

May not be in the main list Dunsbyowl but it has been mentioned a few times in the Norfolk Park in the 1970's thread. SteveHB has posted pictures of all the Norfolk Park pubs there, mainly by myself, Poppychristina and SteveHB.

However, none of us seem to have a picture of this pub in our collection and SteveHb has been reduced, like yourself, to using a picturesheffield link.

As I prefer using our own pictures to picturesheffield links due to the extra hassle of getting to see what is usually a small low resolution version of the picture there is the challenge, - has anyone got a picture of the Captive Queen?

eh, no I have not :)

eh, no I have not :)

No, that's because we didn't go and sup in there very often.

It also had a chip shop round the back inthe old quarry, so for many it was straight out of the boozer at 10:30, closing time in those days, then straight in the chippie.

It was built on the top edge of the old quarry just outside Norfolk in 1972 and opened in April 1973

I seem to remember Stuart0742 telling me that after leaving school in July 1972 he went to work for British Telecom (Post Office telecommunications as it was then) and one of the first jobs he did after training was fitting the phones in the brand new Captive Queen.

The building is still there today but it is now a Zionist church. Previously this church had been a prefabricated building in the bottom of the quarry.

Nice roof on this one- not the usual 'orrible flat roof job of other estate pubs

I agree theimposter1979,

but the Horse & Lion on the same estate,

would take some beating.

;-)

Nice roof on this one- not the usual 'orrible flat roof job of other estate pubs

Roof on The Captive Queen doesn't look as good these days though does it?

I agree theimposter1979,

but the Horse & Lion on the same estate,

would take some beating.

;-)

Best two pub roofs in Sheffield!!

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! :o

I have actually got a picture of my own of the Captive Queen after all :o

It was taken on 29 July 1981, - the day of the Royal wedding of Charles and Diana

OK I took it with a Minox subminature camera so the quality is not great, but at leasts it is OUR, no copyright terms and conditions to use on this site picture.

This is the captive queen when it was open and selling beer.

It was taken on 29 July 1981, - the day of the Royal wedding of Charles and Diana

OK I took it with a Minox subminature camera so the quality is not great, but at leasts it is OUR, no copyright terms and conditions to use on this site picture.

Excellent, Thank you for posting it up, I was away from Sheffield that day, visiting Newcastle, prior to leaving for University in September 1981.

Excellent, Thank you for posting it up, I was away from Sheffield that day, visiting Newcastle, prior to leaving for University in September 1981.

Not too bad a picture I suppose but I wasd hoping that the telephone wires would show up, they're the ones which Stuart0742 fitted as his first job in Sheffield after leaving school and training to work for HM posts and telecommunications (later to become BT).

The pub was brand new then, that was in 1973

I was hoping that the telephone wires would show up, they're the ones which Stuart0742 fitted as his first job in Sheffield.

A telephone wires of the early 70's in Sheffield is going to be a difficult thread to promote :blink:

A telephone wires of the early 70's in Sheffield is going to be a difficult thread to promote :blink:

I'm sure Stuart could make it work, its a sort of follow on to the red telephone boxes thread.

..and the same pub as it is today, the church of the Nazarine