Hyde Park Flats

SteveHB

I used to play in the gardens on our block, can remember being able to paddle in a makeshift paddling pool, but as you say they had to be locked up due to vandalism and certain people using them as urinals. The middle staircase on the big block used to scare me stiff, i had a paper round and that was part of my delivery area, ive never delivered papers so quickly as i did there. As a youngster, they used to have firework displays in the churchyard, that was mainly my playground, that and playing kick can round the back of the Samuel Plimsoll pub. Tried many a gymnastic move on the "bars " of the playground. In fact i think ive still a photograph of the old dog track, when they used to have the open days, with the tug of war teams (mainly the fathers that used to frequent the choice of pubs in the area). The church yard used to be swamped with kids when it snowed, you could make an ice slide from the top right down to the cross outside the church. I often walk through that area, and it seems like a ghost town now, but in my imagination i still hear the hustle and bustle of the old flats, the kids shouting and playing, and the music that was blasted out of open bedroom windows. Yes they were truly good memories that i would love to experience all over again.

Please try and post you photo of hyde park dog track ASAP

,would be much appreciated.

Guest wybourn school

I have the exact same memories!

We lived at 93 Bevis Row facing the dog track but it was too low to see the races. Our family of Mum, Dad and four girls moved into the flat when it was brand new, having moved from Whites Lane on the Wybourn. We thought we were moving up in the world with central heating, waste disposal unit, balcony and a new cooker to boot!

Perhaps some of you will remember me as a little girl as I am quite distinctive with third degree burns............?

Hi there are you Grace and if so can you remember me your friend Nancy Truelove.If it is you please get in touch as i have often thought about you.

I have the exact same memories!

We lived at 93 Bevis Row facing the dog track but it was too low to see the races. Our family of Mum, Dad and four girls moved into the flat when it was brand new, having moved from Whites Lane on the Wybourn. We thought we were moving up in the world with central heating, waste disposal unit, balcony and a new cooker to boot!

Perhaps some of you will remember me as a little girl as I am quite distinctive with third degree burns............?

I've only just seen this post

I've sent you a PM

I lived on Hyde Park in the early 80s, I was probably five or six at the time. High Pavement Row, numbered in the 40s - I think it's still there, in what's now the red block?

I went to St. John's School, Mrs Godbehere's class. We didn't live there long but I met up with some of my classmates again later in life at Myrtle Springs.

I remember walking past the derelict dog track with its huge scoreboard on my way to school (would love to see photos of this),

jumble sales at St. John's Church,

standing on our balcony watching the chaos on Park Square roundabout before the traffic lights were installed,

the long walkway lined with front doors which led to a concrete space which had big concrete vents in the middle and was covered in broken glass,

running into the lift in front of my parents and the doors closing (I was terrified!)

Can't believe it was almost 30 years ago.

Guest Trefcon

I 'helped' demolish part of 'em ! Me and my brother.

I was burning the re bar that held the concrete together, great job, bars springing all over the shop, trying to av' yer eye out !! Then it all went into the crusher.

Dean.

I 'helped' demolish part of 'em ! Me and my brother.

I was burning the re bar that held the concrete together, great job, bars springing all over the shop, trying to av' yer eye out !! Then it all went into the crusher.

Dean.

Did you demolish them AFTER the council had spent a fortune of ratepayers money doing them up for the 1991 World Student Games or BEFORE? B)

Guest transit

....A new group has been started on Facebook , dedicated to the people who lived / have memories ect of the Hyde Park flats !!! Link here ....

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_24612968758&ap=1

Guest MAUREENONEONEFOUR

Hi and welcome to Sheffield History,

I heard that the lad who was involved in the television tragedy had what would be called "Learning Difficultes" these days, and that because of his condition and age, that was why his identity was kept "secret", although I also understand that it was an open secret as to who it was.

I don't really remember the elderly lady being killed.

I knew HPF very well, having an aunt, uncle, and cousins who lived on there, (on Lord Row) and then moving on there myself a little while later.

I remember playing hide and seek with my cousin, up and down the two internal staircases at the junctions of the main block, with the small flats opening off them. I was petrified when the lights would go we also used to go up to the top floor of the main block of the flats and play in the rooftop gardens which sadly had to be barricaded off from the public before the flats were very old. :(:(

Hi ...I lived on hyde park flats from 1981-88.On Rows Ropry and Bungay

They were good times,good neighbors,friends.The boy you are on about is in my in laws family oh btw it wasnt him that actually pushed the tv set over !!! But as he was the elder of the 2 he was held resposable.A very sad accident that should never have happend ,and changed the lives of 2 families.

My mom lived on Lord Row No 123

Guest koritsi

Hi there are you Grace and if so can you remember me your friend Nancy Truelove.If it is you please get in touch as i have often thought about you.

That's me! :)

Look in your private message box as I have sent you a message :)

Guest allthegearnoidea

That's me!

Look in your private message box as I have sent you a message

Hi I knew a Nancy Truelove back in the seventies when I lived on Dakre Row on the Hyde park or The Manor top

not sure where I lived at the time as we moved about a bit :) could she be the same lass ? (Steve Savage)

could

I've a book at home called The Hyde Park Redevelopment Scheme which was published in 1966 to commemorate the Queen Mothers opening the development on 23 June 1966. The book contains some fantastic photos which I've copied and uploaded onto this photobucket album.

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt255/Iwork2shop/Hyde%20Park%201966/

I've a book at home called The Hyde Park Redevelopment Scheme which was published in 1966 to commemorate the Queen Mothers opening the development on 23 June 1966. The book contains some fantastic photos which I've copied and uploaded onto this photobucket album.

http://s617.photobuc...%20Park%201966/

Billiant work, thank you.

My brother lived in Hyde Park flats during the late 70s. He lived on Roland Row which was 2nd from the top, number 124 I think. being about 10-13 at the time I thought it was ok. We used to watch the dog track out the back and send those polystyrene gliders from the front other the city centre. We also used to watch the coal trains go through Victoria and up over Woodhead.

Hello all! I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs and I am looking for info/ pictures/ stories on the 4 pubs at Hyde Park-

The Target

The Crows Nest

The Samuel Plimsoll

Earl Francis

Please pm or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com if you can help!

i worked at hyde park flats during the 80's. I worked for sheffield works dept and it was a sub depot under the flats with no windows. i have had numerous jobs and trades through my life and can honestly say that was by far the worste place I have ever worked. each time that you came out off the exit you feared objects on the head after being thrown over the balcony's. This is just my opinion from the outside. I dare say there will have been families that loved living there.

Hyde Park Flats.jpg

It really was one of the most incredible buildings I've ever seen 

No matter what people thought of the place by the end of it's lifespan there's no mistaking just how incredible the whole building was

My uncle bobby bussey lived on chancell row with his wife ethel and daughter carol sons richard and robert...... I used to go down every weekend coz i had a girlfriend down there and some girls as friends. Her name was sharon . People always made you welcome . They always made you welcome as they always did in the 70s / 80s..... Would love to catch up with the bussey,s all my cousins .........  

nightmareadventure72.jpg.248db4a41fd3b2181c5897ff6937bf3c.jpg'More of an Nightmare than an adventure'walkingstairs72.jpg.e21df52d6d39175d64d997a58d674c6e.jpg'Walking the stairs'

Memories from growing up on Hyde Park Flats - Artworks that I created reflecting a childhood from living in the high rise environment. © Eleanor Gates-Stuart

Great picture  S H , I always thought the flats of Park Hill and Hyde Park were a big mistake and an abomination but the foreground in that picture is great and brings back memories.

Hi everyone I’m new to this group. It’s fascinating reading about the history of the place I was born but never knew. I was born on derwent row in 1982 and taken into care in January 83. I never knew I lived there until now and would love to see some photos or hear any more info people have on the place. Did anyone live on derwent then? 

For my whole childhood I would pass Hyde park old and new and think to myself I know that place, I’ve been there. Even though I left at 4 months old it was familiar, I guess a bit like a homing pigeon would feel lol. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regard

victoria 

1 hour ago, Vix2531j said:

Hi everyone I’m new to this group. It’s fascinating reading about the history of the place I was born but never knew. I was born on derwent row in 1982 and taken into care in January 83. I never knew I lived there until now and would love to see some photos or hear any more info people have on the place. Did anyone live on derwent then? 

For my whole childhood I would pass Hyde park old and new and think to myself I know that place, I’ve been there. Even though I left at 4 months old it was familiar, I guess a bit like a homing pigeon would feel lol. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Kindest regard

victoria 

I came across this image on facebook, apparently this bridge on Hyde park flats is leading into Derwent Row (seen behind the adult in the background).

dwt_row_hpk.jpg

• Thanks 1