Hyde Park Flats

SteveHB

I did a bit of work wiring The Samuel Plimsoll after the shell of it had been passed to the Brewery to fit out. Later on I was repairing TV's when a colleague came back from the flats declaring "I'm never going to these flats again". He said that someone had peed in the lift on the way up, then as he walked to the customers door a girl with greasy matted hair stood on the walkway had lifted here skirt and pulled her knickers up. Then when he knelt down behind the customer's TV he found he was kneeling in dog dirt because the customer's dog did his business there! Some years later I was repairing high frequency plastic welding machines when the council bought some of the machines from a factory that was closing down and set them up in the basement as an ethnic minorities employment scheme.   

EUBrO5zWAAI_uX3.jpg

The Norfolk Picture Palace, from Talbot Street, Park. Opened 24th December 1914, seating 1000. Closed 24th December 1959, demolished 1966. New Inn, Duke Street in background

In the background - where Hyde Park flats would be constructed

As a sufferer of Acrophobia I can’t even imagine living in the business end of a high rise building. It’s nothing to do with council accommodation, I would feel just the same in a multi million pound penthouse, remember Richard Gere in Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts all but hanging over his penthouse balcony and him attempting to melt into wall farest from it, well other than for the Julia Roberts deficiency, that was me to a tee.

I’ve often wondered if folk with my fears are identified by the council prior to being housed in such buildings, in the private housing market it’s easy, don’t like it so don’t buy it or rent it.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 15:36, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 15.35.42.jpg

Hyde Park Flats taken from Sheffield City Centre

This picture has me Flummoxed! Judging by the Cars, it has to be 1984 or after, but where is the Canal Basin and where is the Parkway? What is this waste ground in the foreground?

Just shows what we forget.