Aldine Court

RichardB

I don't know if Aldine Court is still there or not, does anyone have a recent picture showing it please. It is/was on the High Street, I can't for the life of me remember it ...

Thanks in advance

Aldine Court - isn't that the passageway down to Hartshead ?

If so - I got a picture (dull one) of the place from the bottom looking up towards High Street

I believe it's a passageway, used to be known as "Trippets Yard", as in Trippets Lane .... buts that's before you or I were born.

Was also the site (or next to the site) of a market that used to be around that area - though probably more towards where the Bankers Draft and Dove and Rainbow are now

At the time of the great flood there was a chap called William Leng who used to have his office at Aldine Court

He lived in Victoria Road, Broomhall Park which was about a mile away

He was the editor and part proprietor of "The Sheffield Daily Telegraph" and died in 1902 aged 77

I used to buy records from the shop up there in the late 80's early 90's

Was a hairdressers too

Actually come to think of it..

As you walked up there - on the right was a shop (the record shop that I mentioned) and then behind that was a cafe ?

Am I imagining that one ?

I have no idea why I took this bland picture last week but amazingly we end up talking about it !

This site rocks !

Just been reading the Watsons Walk bit which put me in mind of Aldine Court

From your picture it looks like it's had some major rebuild. Is your picture taken from right at the side of the Star building's rear loading area? I think Aldine Court was the site of one of the early Boutiques that opened up in less expensive locations during the 60's.

There was also a habber- haberd- habad- - - place that sold cloth , cotton, buttons etc. up there in the 50's

Here it is from the front on Google Street View.

"Aldine Court had been called Trippett’s Yard, Wreaks Yard, and in 1845, when Joseph Pearce set up a printing works here, was referred to as Wilson’s Yard (probably after George Wilson, of the Sharrow Mills family, who had set up a snuff shop on High Street in the 1830s)."

https://sheffielder.net/2021/08/28/aldine-court-named-after-a-venetian-printer/

No 27, High Street, Peter's Quality Shoe Repairs, entrance to Aldine Court, left. June 1996.s00802.jpg.117d9c395b60db3615cbaa897cde93bc.jpgs00802

Aldine Court, late 1800'ss12907.jpg.e85de1780d2c5aa8c19b03b3a743328e.jpgs12907

J.J. Greaves and Son, Auction Mart, Aldine Court, High Street. 

Date Period:1940-1959y00026.jpg.ee8676fab1333b3256759eb9cc8ec61c.jpgy00026  Photographer: Maurice Parkin

Rear of Sheffield Telegraph and Star Newspaper Offices, Kemsley House, Aldine Court. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07191&pos=17&action=zoom&id=10463

Aldine Court, below Kemsley House (Sheffield Telegraph and Star offices), looking towards High Street. June 2003.t13494.jpg.027dd564de7297d72dd9f5ca48ac0ebe.jpg t13494    Photographer: Ted Mace. 

Aldine Court has certainly changed a lot.  I knew it when you could watch the Telegraph and Star printing presses working from there. I have a brass bell that was taken off a steam driven press when it was de-commissioned.  The press was called "Steam Anna" and the bell rung to warn that it was starting up. Star, Telegraph and Green Un, following a great tradition of newspapers in Sheffield.

For some reason, possibly by Mr Leng, it was renamed Aldine Court after a printing font, Italian in origin, I prefer Triplets Yard.

I seem to recall a shop selling curtain materials on the right hand side of Aldine Court from High Street, 

The barbers was Lew Burgins…a very up market Gents….but that wasn’t in Aldine Court but one further down High St. on I think High Court. This was long before the business became almost peripatetic!

19 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

The barbers was Lew Burgins…a very up market Gents….but that wasn’t in Aldine Court but one further down High St. on I think High Court. This was long before the business became almost peripatetic!

Wasn't there a Lew Burgins (or similar name) hairdressers up on the gallery above Haymarket/Exchange Street back int he 80's/early 90's. I used to go to one there of a similar name.