Lawrence du Garde Peach

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I wonder if anyone remembers (or has any information on) Lawrence du Garde Peach, the playwright, author and dramatic historian. He lived at at Foolow in his later years, and he was involved in the formation of the Great Hucklow Players. I have come across a reference to him celebrating his 75th birthday in, I think, 1964.

He was famous on the local scene for many years, was regularly in the news in the 1950s, and, I think, merits a place on any list of Sheffield Celebrities in the second half of the 20th century.

Lawrence du Garde Peach (1880-1975), former editor of Punch and author of many Ladybird children’s books - who also compiled a series of ‘Up Hill & Down Dale’ programmes for Children’s Hour - founded the theatre in a disused lead-smelting mill in 1927 and ran it successfully for the next 45 years. The old theatre is now an Activity Centre run by the Sheffield Scout Association.

From : http://www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk/cms/place...-hucklows.shtml

Lawrence du Garde Peach (14 February 1890 – 31 December 1974) was an English author and writer of plays for radio, stage and screen. Today he may be best remembered as the author of over 30 books for Ladybird's Adventure from History series of nonfiction childrens' books, published from 1957 until his death, which was the largest series Ladybird ever produced, and remained in print until 1986.

Lawrence du Garde Peach (14 February 1890 – 31 December 1974) was an English author and writer of plays for radio, stage and screen. Today he may be best remembered as the author of over 30 books for Ladybird's Adventure from History series of nonfiction childrens' books, published from 1957 until his death, which was the largest series Ladybird ever produced, and remained in print until 1986.

Richard, that is excellent. I did not know about his links with children's books, although I knew that he was a prolific writer. I once met him at his home, more than 45 years ago, and he was a terrific chap to talk to.

I will search and see if I can find any kind of picture of him.

Richard, that is excellent. I did not know about his links with children's books, although I knew that he was a prolific writer. I once met him at his home, more than 45 years ago, and he was a terrific chap to talk to.

I will search and see if I can find any kind of picture of him.

Here is a sketch of du Garde Peach by Heap

Guest moor_larkin

Here is a sketch of du Garde Peach by Heap
Here he is with Geoffrey Ost........

I always wondered what the *L* stood for. All the references I have previously come across have never said what that initial stood for!! I used to wonder what it might be........... lol

Guest kevin paul

if anyone is still interested i recently did a job for a chap in great hucklow who used to live in a house occupied by L du garde peach.the name intrigued me so a cursory search on google revealed a snippet or two about the man principally:his first name was lawrence ,prolific writer in several areas, worked for british intelligence during WW1 started the hucklow players drama group,he died in 1974.not sure as to the accuracy of this information but i will try to verify asap.

if anyone is still interested i recently did a job for a chap in great hucklow who used to live in a house occupied by L du garde peach.the name intrigued me so a cursory search on google revealed a snippet or two about the man principally:his first name was lawrence ,prolific writer in several areas, worked for british intelligence during WW1 started the hucklow players drama group,he died in 1974.not sure as to the accuracy of this information but i will try to verify asap.

There's never a thread here considered "dead" any further information on any posting is much appreciated. Welcome to the Site Kevin Paul, check out the Pubs and the "Leg of Lamb and Trimmings" - we're still searching as hard as ever; or "Durnan" in the War thread (a superb effort), such a lot of information from one old picture; of "A Walk up Burngreave Road" - potential for a lot of History.

Read, consider, THINK, ask, contribute - we all learn a little from each input and if anyone believes I don't know where Burngreave Road is ... well they haven't got the point I've just made - I only said I didn't know to elicit a response (don't tell Tsavo, he thinks I'm thick lol )

Old Canny Street Kid said:
I wonder if anyone remembers (or has any information on) Lawrence du Garde Peach, the playwright, author and dramatic historian. He lived at at Foolow in his later years, and he was involved in the formation of the Great Hucklow Players. I have come across a reference to him celebrating his 75th birthday in, I think, 1964.

He was famous on the local scene for many years, was regularly in the news in the 1950s, and, I think, merits a place on any list of Sheffield Celebrities in the second half of the 20th century.

OKSK

Came across this photograph on Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.com/;s03114

Guest wellington03

Last November, a very knowledgeable ex "Village Player" gave a wonderful talk to our local history club, he told us the life story of "Larry" du Garde Peach, this is what I vaguely remember......his father was a Vicar from Sheffield, he grew up in the village of Gt Hucklow, he was a fluent German speaker, he was transferred into intelligence during the Gt War, after which he became a playwright, and editor of the Lady Bird history books, I think C 1927 he established a theatre in the canteen of his fathers holiday home for poor children (church) and started producing plays, the plays were rehearsed for three weeks, then the performance ran for three weeks, 6 days a week, the plays usually coincided with the full moon, so people could see to travel to and from the shows, Larry was very good at improvising, his shows usually had extra-ordinary sets, for the early shows he used submarine batteries borrowed from a manufacturer in Bakewell to light the stage. I think at some time in the 1930s ? Larry bought the cupola building opposite the Queen Ann pub and converted it into a bespoke theater, 250 odd seats etc, the performances ran regularly right up to 1971 ? (ish) when Larry decided to call it a day, despite the protestations of the performers, the theatre was sold to ..Scouts, a condition being the place could never be used for performances again. Larry always had a cigarette in his mouth, he married a Consultant Doctor (she kept him in funds at times) (and she regularly helped him in the shows). After final performances players returned to their dressing room places, IF there was a script waiting, they were wanted for the next play, if not that was the end of their "Village Player" career !. Every show was always sold out, the audience coming from all over the country. All facinating......I've a booklet somewhere ?.

Mike

Well, I've just read it! It brings back memories: I remember my parents talking about him but, as suggested above, they always referred to him as "L. du Garde Peach". It may be that Dad, who was head of English at Woodhouse Grammar during our time in Sheffield, took a school trip to the theatre, or perhaps he took Mum there.

There are several photos of him in his 1952 book "TWENTY FIVE YEARS OF PLAY PRODUCING 1927-1952". in the 1880's his father used to take Sheffield Sunday school children to Hucklow for a weeks holiday in the summer and continued this when he moved to a Manchester church. In the first war his father went to live in Great Hucklow. He is captioned as L du G on the photos which show him acting in the plays which he produced.