Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames M-Z

dunsbyowl1867

Thanks very much, both! I've been having a lot of fun researching the very big family these past few days - they moved to Sheffield in 1880/81, and also lived at 4 Edgar Street for some time in the 1880s/1890s, possibly 27 Carlisle Street from 1891, 18 Doncaster Street, 143 Daisy Walk, and finally 34 Hunt Street where the family was still based at the time of the war. If anyone else is looking for William Thomas Pridmore and his family, I've got all the available census data (they don't seem to be on the 1881 census) and a little bit more info. William Thomas was a bricklayer, I can't imagine how he supported a family of this size:

Ernest William, born 1878

Albert, born 1879, died 1917

John Thomas, born 1881, died 1914

Arthur Edward, born 1883, died 1914

Florence, born 1886

Beatrice E, born 1887, died 1889

Lilian M, born 1889

George R, born 1890, died 1891

Wilfred, born 1892

Oswald, born 1894

George Harry, born 1896, died 1918

Percy, born 1898, died 1899

Sidney, born 1900, lived until 1982 and had an equally huge family of his own.

Guest Sootybear

Hello there,

I have just come across this site quite by accident whilst researching family members. It is quite impressive and I hopr to be spending alot of time on it!! Could you please help me with:

Ward. Reginald, Pte. Royal Horse Guards. Sheffield Independent War Album.

Ward. Rowland, Served/Wounded. Pte. York & Lancs. Clun Street.

Reginald is definately a relative, but not sure on Rowland though! You help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi Trefcom,

Great website found by chance and amazed to find 7967 Pte Christopher Neville Smith, Coldstream Guards on your list. Killed Ypres 29th Oct 1914. The family would really appreciate the picture. You also have an anonymous Pte Neville on the list. Could we see that one as well - in case it's one of 'ours'? Many thanks! Linda

Guest alastair47

Hi alastair 47,

here with what i have.

Jesse Richard Rodinson, ex staff photographer with the Sheffield Telegraph.

His papers and medal index card are on Ancestry. He was discharged, gun shot wound right foot.

Nothing on George William Crookes apart from his medal index card on Ancestry, he ended up as mounted police.

Hope this helps,

Dean.

Hi Dean

I'm trying to find a photo of Pte Frederick Whitham from Heeley who was in the 2nd Yorks Reg't and killed at the Battle of Loos on 26/09/15. Is this something you can help with?

Many thanks

Alastair (acaisley@keoghcaisley.com)

Thomas Brooke Stanley DCM. He served with the 10th Australian Light Horse (see the film) at Gallipoli in 1915 where he was decorated for conspicuous gallantry. He was born in Stockbridge and raised in Sheffield, Dobbin Hill. War record at this link and much more about the battle at Hill 60 elsewhere. He was my mother's uncle/grandfather's sister's husband. he met his Loftus wife at Ghezireh, Egypt. Fascinating story so far!

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=8091913&I=1&SE=1

http://www.awm.gov.au/events/conference/gallipoli_symposium/manera.asp

Thomas Brooke Stanley DCM. He served with the 10th Australian Light Horse (see the film) at Gallipoli in 1915 where he was decorated for conspicuous gallantry. He was born in Stockbridge and raised in Sheffield, Dobbin Hill. War record at this link and much more about the battle at Hill 60 elsewhere. He was my mother's uncle/grandfather's sister's husband. he met his Loftus wife at Ghezireh, Egypt. Fascinating story so far!

Guest Trefcon

Hi Trefcom,

Great website found by chance and amazed to find 7967 Pte Christopher Neville Smith, Coldstream Guards on your list. Killed Ypres 29th Oct 1914. The family would really appreciate the picture. You also have an anonymous Pte Neville on the list. Could we see that one as well - in case it's one of 'ours'? Many thanks! Linda

Sorry for the delay Linda, been away for the past week.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dean

I'm trying to find a photo of Pte Frederick Whitham from Heeley who was in the 2nd Yorks Reg't and killed at the Battle of Loos on 26/09/15. Is this something you can help with?

Many thanks

Alastair (acaisley@keoghcaisley.com)

Hello again Alastair, afraid nothing for you this time. I dont have an image and there doesn't seem to be one in any of the published stuff i have.

There is an F. Whitham Yorkshire Reginment on the Vickers Roll of Honour at No 1 Gate at Sheffield Forgemasters, also an F. Whitham on the Heeley Christ Church Roll of Honour, both inscribed as died.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Newbynorm, thank you for the details of Stanley, i didn't have him in my files, now i have !

Would like a larger version of his image if possible ?

Dean.

Sorry for the delay Linda, been away for the past week.

Dean.

Been offline myself. Thank you so much for the pictures. I'll ask my father if he recognises the 'Neville' in picture no. 2. Linda

Guest Peter S

Hi

I would really appreciate it if you could forward images of the following soldiers.

Storey. George, Died. 18646 Pte. York & Lancs. 26 Sleaford St, Attercliffe.

Storey. John William, Died. 21569 Pte. York & Lancs. 45 Harwood St, Highfields.

Storey. William, Served. Sgt. R.E. Wincobank.

Thanks

Do you have this one Dean?

Simpson. S. L/Cpl. Wounded. Of 21 Fowler Street, Pitsmoor. 20/9/16 SDI.

Lance Corporal Stephen Simpson R15915 Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Wounded 30 August 1916. Died from wounds 10 Nov 1916

Guest Trefcon

Afraid not Oldbloke, but one does survive in the Independent if you look up the edition with that date (20/9/16) at the local studies.

What i do have is this from Burngreave cemetery.

Section G3, Grave 55

This inscription appears on a stone with the name Blyth.

Dean.

Guest juliethemuse

my father is Wheelhouse. Harry, Served/Wounded. 12609 Pte. K.O.Y.L.I. Darnall i am desperately trying to locate him as he is in his 80s now, do you think you could post his image thank you so much

Many thanks Dean

The Blythes were his grandfather's sister and her husband. His grandparents are also buried int the same grave.

Dave

Hi. I would like a copy of the photo of Pte Albert Wright KOYLI that you have. I have had his medals for some time and would love to add a photo th his frame.Pete

Guest treebaby76

Hi,

I dont know if im in the right place my great grandad fought in the 1st world war with the 2nd/5th yorks and lancs i have been searching for over a year now for details of any war memorial he is on he died in battle and is buried at arleux-en-gohelle (ochard dump cemetary) in france also i noticed you have image's of soldiers who were in the war and was wondering if you had anything regarding this?

His details are : 204977 Private reginald moore born roughly 1887-1889 died 20th january 1918

Any info you have will be gratefully appreciated

regards

Theresa

Guest Trefcon

Hello Theresa, no image of him i'm afraid.

Born - Wath-on-Dearne

Enlisted - Sheffield

KIA

Papers on Ancestry (abt. 25 pages)

Address 259 Broomhall Street, Sheffield.

MIC - Victory and British War Medal

He is listed in the Sheffield Councils Official Roll of Honour, this is in book form and can be viewed at Sheffield Local Studies Library.

Dean.