Sheffield Station Dining Room

Guest longleyboy

Guest longleyboy

Any one have any info on the old dining room at Sheffield rail station ? Am looking for dates of opening /closing also any pics that anyone has.

Any one have any info on the old dining room at Sheffield rail station ? Am looking for dates of opening /closing also any pics that anyone has.

Do not remember any dining room at either of Sheffields two main stations. What I do remember is using the staff canteen at Victoria station every dinner time for at least two years in the early 60`s. No idea what platform it was on but the Cleethorpes train left from it, I still remember the announcers last few lines to this day, [ Grimsby town, Grimsby docks and Cleethorpes ].

Do not remember any dining room at either of Sheffields two main stations. What I do remember is using the staff canteen at Victoria station every dinner time for at least two years in the early 60`s. No idea what platform it was on but the Cleethorpes train left from it, I still remember the announcers last few lines to this day, [ Grimsby town, Grimsby docks and Cleethorpes ].

I think the dining room was at the north end of platform 1, not 100% certain.

There is still what looks like an old ticket office at the north end of platform 1, untouched by the looks of it - still has the old wood and brown tiles intact.

I think the dining room was at the north end of platform 1, not 100% certain.

Had a nosy around the northern end of Platform 1 this evening, was there as a "Dads Taxi". There is this plaque where the Refreshment room once was, now it looks like a dumping ground for old station rubbish.

Do you remember the red cube type screens, they are all in there as well as other junk.

It looks like the original features are still there behind wood protection.

You mean the pub that's now open? Yeah it's not too bad but it has a bit of a cold-victorian feel about it, you'll see what I mean. That's said there's a cosy little side room just before the toilets, but not really much space in which to swing a cat. On top of that, the beer contract is Thornbridge and that's not my cup of tea; it would be much better if it was a free house.

Sadly i can't report on the interior of the above mentioned room as when we arrived it was too full and the door staff wouldn't allow us in. Will have to get there earlier.

Guest gareth388

Sadly i can't report on the interior of the above mentioned room as when we arrived it was too full and the door staff wouldn't allow us in. Will have to get there earlier.

I mananged to have a drink in there a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with the job. Like has been mentioned, it has a very cold feel about it - there didn't seem to be any heating in the pub, apart from the open fire, which was not in use.

I think it is great they have make good use of what is a well preserved piece of history - recommended!