Peat's sausage!!!!!

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Now I might slavver (dribble?) a bit writing this, but surely I'm not the only person around who remembers Peats Butchers and their "out of this world" Pork sausages? All right, it probably had loads of that 'monosu' stuff in it, but with new potatoes, and garden peas, and a dollop of Lurpak butter, this was food for the gods. There were two shops that I know of, one at the bottom of Wadsley Lane and the other on Crookes Road. Every Saturday, that was my job. Walking up to Crookes to buy the Sunday joint. Always the same order, "a piece of Silverside about 7/6d! and that did two meals for a family of five. I know the Peats factory was just past the Wednesday ground on Penistone Rd, but what happened to the pork sausage recipe? Please, please, please, if you know, tell me, and I'm on the next plane back to Sheffield! :P:P :P

I can only say two words about this "Fred Funks" not sure about the spelling - Fred is probably correct !, bottom of Dykes Hall Road, been there since ***** was a kitten, or about 100 years (from census returns)

Fred 'the funkster' Funk

Famous sausage manufacturer based opposite the co-op at the bottom of dykes hall road as you say

Has always had huge signs announcing that they had won the world sausage championship of the world for the zillionth time running (or something like that !)

Guest codeyes

Now I might slavver (dribble?) a bit writing this, but surely I'm not the only person around who remembers Peats Butchers and their "out of this world" Pork sausages? All right, it probably had loads of that 'monosu' stuff in it, but with new potatoes, and garden peas, and a dollop of Lurpak butter, this was food for the gods. There were two shops that I know of, one at the bottom of Wadsley Lane and the other on Crookes Road. Every Saturday, that was my job. Walking up to Crookes to buy the Sunday joint. Always the same order, "a piece of Silverside about 7/6d! and that did two meals for a family of five. I know the Peats factory was just past the Wednesday ground on Penistone Rd, but what happened to the pork sausage recipe? Please, please, please, if you know, tell me, and I'm on the next plane back to Sheffield! :P:P:P

Tsavo.

My first job when I left school in 1966 was as a trainee butcher at Norman Peats. I had previously worked at the Middlewood Road shop as a Saturday lad for 12 months before that.

The shop on Wadsley Lane was the only one that "old" Mr Peat kept on for himself and a firm from Nottingham called Parrs took the rest over, even though they kept the Peats name.

Apart from the sausages Peats were world famous for their Pork Pies which were surrounded by a red "ribbon"

I worked at all their shops between 1966 and 1969 and they were at ending up as a deputy manager.

Middlewood Road ( where Pearson's now is )

Holme Lane ( Chatanooga)

Crookes on the Main Road ( 2 shops....the other one was called Hygenic Meat Stores

Ridgeway Road

Jaunty Way

Park Gate ( Rovrum)

I worked also at the "factory" by the Wednesday ground for about 4 months before I joined the Navy. This is where all the carcasses were cut and forwarded to the shops. The famous sausages were also made here as was black pudding.

Guest tsavo

Thanks for the info, Codeyes. Just one question....can you remember the sausage recipe? (only joking)

...and yes the pork pies were terrific too!

Guest codeyes

Thanks for the info, Codeyes. Just one question....can you remember the sausage recipe? (only joking)

...and yes the pork pies were terrific too!

I remember that there were only 3 "types" of sausage made there in those days. Beef, Pork and the well orange tomato sausage........The pies won national awards for years.

Mind you...must agree that Funks are today's sausage makers......

Guest tsavo

Tsavo.

My first job when I left school in 1966 was as a trainee butcher at Norman Peats. I had previously worked at the Middlewood Road shop as a Saturday lad for 12 months before that.

The shop on Wadsley Lane was the only one that "old" Mr Peat kept on for himself and a firm from Nottingham called Parrs took the rest over, even though they kept the Peats name.

Apart from the sausages Peats were world famous for their Pork Pies which were surrounded by a red "ribbon"

I worked at all their shops between 1966 and 1969 and they were at ending up as a deputy manager.

Middlewood Road ( where Pearson's now is )

Holme Lane ( Chatanooga)

Crookes on the Main Road ( 2 shops....the other one was called Hygenic Meat Stores

Ridgeway Road

Jaunty Way

Park Gate ( Rovrum)

I worked also at the "factory" by the Wednesday ground for about 4 months before I joined the Navy. This is where all the carcasses were cut and forwarded to the shops. The famous sausages were also made here as was black pudding.

I've been trying to remember where the Hygenic Meat Stores were on Crookes Rd. I can remember the other Peat's shop on the corner of Toftwood Rd, but the other one rings no bells at all. Any idea what number Crookes Road?

Guest jossman

Tsavo.

When did you join the mob?? As you can see by my avatar I too am an ex matelot. I joined HMS Ganges in 1960 and retired as MAA of HMS Amazon.

I remember going in Peats at the bottom of Wadsley Lane as a kid for bullseyes which I'd take to school and swap for comics. Late sixties/early seventies.

I can see the butchers face but can't remember his name. The guy had silver/white hair and a tash to match.

Guest codeyes

I've been trying to remember where the Hygenic Meat Stores were on Crookes Rd. I can remember the other Peat's shop on the corner of Toftwood Rd, but the other one rings no bells at all. Any idea what number Crookes Road?

Tsavo.

If you stand looking in the window of the shop on the corner of Toftwood and turn right as though you atre walking towards the old bookies shop ( I don't think that it is there now) HMS was only about six doors down on the same block.

Guest tsavo

Thanks Codeyes, that puts it on the block that housed the Sheffield Penny Bank, Priestleys fish shop and Bole hill Fisheries on the corner of Bole Hill Lane. Still don't remember HMS, but Tempus Fugit and I'm just not keeping up with it!

An old picture of Crookes shoppers here at another butchers shop, the Imperial.....long gone before I happened along though.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=t02369

I remember that there were only 3 "types" of sausage made there in those days. Beef, Pork and the well orange tomato sausage........The pies won national awards for years.

Mind you...must agree that Funks are today's sausage makers......

sorry codeyes but i disagree crawshaws sausage is far more superior than funks firm and full of meat. :rolleyes: