Roxy Nighclub

Sheffield History

Guest ROSIE

does anyone know when the refurbishment will be finished? and when it will be openin up as a live music venue?

Refurb is on track and due to open on friday 11th April, with Reverend and the makers then on Saturday 12th KT Tunstall, having said that it still looks like a building site inside. It will be called A.M.G SHEFFIELD. lol

Looking forward to Hed Kandi: Back To Love: Live Launch Night SATURDAY 10TH MAY - OVER 18S ONLY

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember Hit man and Her thanks for that ADMIN brings back a few memories, dont forget Battle of the bands aswell. :rolleyes:

Guest wayne

the main manager was mike

and assistant manager was kevin

both from the old limit and leadmill :rolleyes:

DJ Malcom Dale

DJ Gary

Light rigs fiona then by mariea

Mary front pay desk

Pat office

colin caretaker

cleaners Kath .Maureen

Groups who played the roxys

Sinnita

London boys

Lonnie Gordon

Shooting Party

Kylie Minogue

Jason Donovan

Sandra

Sonia

the drifters

Pat and Mick

Tina Charles

BANANARAMA

Pepsi & Shirlie

BERNARD MANNING

Su Pollard

Eric Bristow

Carling academy looked great last night with the blue and pink lights shining on the front of the building, looks a bit grim today in the daylight though. Hopefully a great night out for the future.

Sue :)

Guest fusion45c

Carling academy looked great last night with the blue and pink lights shining on the front of the building, looks a bit grim today in the daylight though. Hopefully a great night out for the future.

Sue :)

Nice to know you liked the look of the lights - I hope the eased you aching feet - Believe human league may be playing here in a few weeks will check out details - been in the building before for many events in the 80's saw chrissie hinde and the pretenders and the world disco dancing championships in the 80's - would have been there on opening night but went to wok mania instead as you well know!

Nice to know you liked the look of the lights - I hope the eased you aching feet - Believe human league may be playing here in a few weeks will check out details - been in the building before for many events in the 80's saw chrissie hinde and the pretenders and the world disco dancing championships in the 80's - would have been there on opening night but went to wok mania instead as you well know!

If you had said you wanted to go to the opening night we could have gone there instead. How do you fancy Hed Kandi? Human league doesnt sound to bad though. Might have to cut my hair like Phil Oakeys was, my parents wont tell me off this time. he helol he he

Guest fusion45c

If you had said you wanted to go to the opening night we could have gone there instead. How do you fancy Hed Kandi? Human league doesnt sound to bad though. Might have to cut my hair like Phil Oakeys was, my parents wont tell me off this time. he helolhe he

Never Heard of Hed Kandi - but the Human League -Now that's a defferent story - (may go on the 20th April if i can get some tickets - to celebrate getting my main pc back working and online - only took 121 days - and microsoft said it wasn't possible - the sooner we all buy macs the better) - and the reason i didn't mention the carling academy was i did not think anybody would now be seen in a night club with a oap like me - i meam i love this site - mentioned crazy daisys - ledgends -(i knew the pub at hillsbrough's name seemed familar - and after two years I now know why - they mentioned josephines (but strangley no mention of the topless barmaids ? - it's true honest) and also it went try to get in to josephines if not cario jaxs - and if not there the roxy was spot on. Even an old dj name i have worked with is mentioned on the site - Know how do i sign up for the brewery trip help please - will be on line at 22:00 ;-)

Never Heard of Hed Kandi

Thats cause youre an oldie. he he

Sheffield academy site

The hedkandi is on this link (nice art work)

Hedkandi

Classic night club anthems, you know the stuff I like fusion45c, that kinda thing. lol

Sue

Ps Brewery visit might be off keep in touch.

Guest djgarygee

the main manager was mike

and assistant manager was kevin

both from the old limit and leadmill :rolleyes:

DJ Malcom Dale

DJ Gary

Light rigs fiona then by mariea

Mary front pay desk

Pat office

colin caretaker

cleaners Kath .Maureen

Groups who played the roxys

Sinnita

London boys

Lonnie Gordon

Shooting Party

Kylie Minogue

Jason Donovan

Sandra

Sonia

the drifters

Pat and Mick

Tina Charles

BANANARAMA

Pepsi & Shirlie

BERNARD MANNING

Su Pollard

Eric Bristow

DJ Gary here!

I worked with (and sometimes without) Malcolm from 1985 - 1989 then moved to Cairos for a year....you can catch me now at Escapade in Chesterfield on a Tues, Thurs and Sunday night (the Old Zanzibar). lol

I am now the main Producer for Music Factory in Rotherham (Jive Bunny) and I am still DJing 6-7 nights a week lol I'm 46!

Would be good to have a Roxy reunion...now that really would be 'alright 4yuz' :)

It's great you all have fond memories.....it was actually the most miserable part of my life lol but hey ho!

Keep postin xx

Gary Gee (DJ)

Producer for the Music Factory Entertainment Group (Mastermix)

Guest lennonman

I have laughed out loud at this thread, brilliant memories of the Roxy, particularly 'the ramp of shame' where if all else failed, the Roxy was the place!! It was huge though, remember going to the under 16 nights in the seventies when it was probably the top rank. There were always teenagers making out under the stairs and sporadic fist fights everywhere! dont know if it would be allowed now. Glad to hear it is being used again, its an ugly building but loads of great memories inside....

Guest tommyking

I have laughed out loud at this thread, brilliant memories of the Roxy, particularly 'the ramp of shame' where if all else failed, the Roxy was the place!! It was huge though, remember going to the under 16 nights in the seventies when it was probably the top rank. There were always teenagers making out under the stairs and sporadic fist fights everywhere! dont know if it would be allowed now. Glad to hear it is being used again, its an ugly building but loads of great memories inside....

I visited the 'Carling' last week. Sporadic fist fights still go on - but gladly it had nothing to do with me. I guess that is what happens when you charge 1.80 a pint.

Just a quick one to say hi to Gary Gee from Mastermix - welcome to the site mate

Guest shely

Hi love the storys of the roxys great nights had there, I have some photos of our girls night in roxys if any one is interested but dont know how to download them.

Hi love the storys of the roxys great nights had there, I have some photos of our girls night in roxys if any one is interested but dont know how to download them.

I would absolutely LOVE you to post them on the site

I can do it for you if you want ?

Guest owl capone

Used to go to the Rock nights between 85-89. It started out as 1st monday in the month but proved so popular the 3rd monday was also added.

DJ was Radio Hallams colin slade and a mixture of Heavy rock was played. Particularly during the early days from

Glam metal Motley crue & Hanoi rocks to the excellent AOR Melodic rock tunes from the likes of White Sister, Dokken, Autograph ,Orion and many others. not forgetting mainstream Van Halen, Maiden etc.

I stopped going in late 89 when grunge took over Could never stand the New punk attitude of Nirvana and co.

Fantastic nights for 3 years Bring those days back as well as Bob Maltby era Rebels

Guest eightbelow

Just a boxing ring disguised as a night club. Ultimate Fighting and Mixed Martial Arts has never seen anything like it!

Guest owl capone

Just a boxing ring disguised as a night club. Ultimate Fighting and Mixed Martial Arts has never seen anything like it!

He Eight do you remember a certain Mr BN being a doorman there?

Guest jennyrr

I used to work at Roxys on the cig kiosk, left at 8 months pregnant!! but my best memories are of Mondays rock night, it was FAB!!!!!!! lol

does any1 know what year roxys closed and whats the building been used for since i know its now the carlin academy

It closed in 1996 It was used as a church by St. Thomas's they left it in a right mess inside when they left, then carling opened 11th April 2008. The building is rented by the carling academy, not owned by them.