Roxy Nighclub

Sheffield History

Welcome to the site !!

Tell us more

I love the Roxy and anything you can tell us would be very cool

Guest lancashire lass

Does anyone know Roxys address, I know its Arundel Gate but does anyone know the number.

never new the number the address given was always the roxy arundle gate sheffield

if my old mate john still works on the complex ill see if he knows the number for you

Guest belfrybum

roxy's was legendary! i used to go with worklads on thursday grab a granny night.so huge inside,the toilets at the back were ideal for courting couples! or was that just me?

met my present partner there!

Guest billyblade

Just seen on frontpage of sheffield telegraph that roxys is to reopen as a live music venue

That would be brilliant if Roxys were to reopen.It would make a fantastic live music venue.

Used to love Roxys.It was the place where we always said at the beginning of the night we were not going to go, but always ended up going anyway!!

Used to go with all the lads I went to Loxley/Stannington college with studying engineering round about 1994.We'd have a class night out round about once every two months.

Also remember going on a few occasions 1989/1990 when Latino house music was all the rage!

Anyone could get in Roxys,they used to drag you in as you walked past!

I worked there for 6 years till september 95 it could hold 3.500 pepole and i was told that it was the biggest night club in europe at the time

have seen many bands play on that stage all for free perk of the job

Tika, can you recall whether the lighting rig was changed since those Hitman and Her programmes up to the time when the Roxy closed? Do you know whether the lighting rig was removed when the venue closed? Would be nice to see some other pictures of the inside of the venue other than those Hitman and Her clips.

The lighting rig was never changed exept for some added extras on the back of the stage when it had the refurb done as far as i know when the club shut down all the lighting rig and sound system was removed

and i was told that the sound system was unique to the club hand built amps by calsbrough

there was loads of designs done by carlsbrough for new lighting rigs with lasers and things but they never got installed when i was there

I worked there for 6 years till september 95 it could hold 3.500 pepole and i was told that it was the biggest night club in europe at the time

have seen many bands play on that stage all for free perk of the job

The max capacity IS 2,500 but you could squeeze in 3,000 if pushed.

never new the number the address given was always the roxy arundle gate sheffield

if my old mate john still works on the complex ill see if he knows the number for you

Yes John still works on the complex lol

At the time customers had moved elsewhere - mainly to Pulse and Vogue and also Kingdom

Add to that the pub scene had moved to West Street so it was further for people to walk to get to Roxys

And finally the emergence of dance music hurt Roxys too who were best known for commercial chart and party music which went out of fashion

It closed because Nobles wasn't able to buy it so they closed it down. Steven Noble took over Barry Noble's empire in 1996.

Guest Slimsid2000

what would you like to know

What did you work as a bar girl, a dancer, a bouncer? (only joking about the last one)

I have done loads in that club did a bit of glass collecting done some barwork a bit of door work (open and closed them oiled hinges) :) a lot of promotion work and even redecorated that place over the years

Guest seanylove

im only22 but my dad told me about roxys night club he said anyone could get in and if you couldnt pull a bird in there you wernt trying haha.I also watched the utube footage from the hitman and her and it looked brilliant. I dont think night clubs today are as good as back then. i wonder what it looks like inside imagine walking around it now i bet it would be really weird walking around with it all empty and disused it might be like going back in time 20 years haha

Guest seanylove

im only 22 but my dad told me about roxys night club he said anyone could get in and you were garenteed to pull evan if you were the ugliest bloke walking the face of the earth haha. ive watched the utube footage and it looks brilliant much better than nite clubs these days. i wonder what it looks like inside nowadays if you went in would it be like going back in time 20 years ibet it would be a bit weird with it all disused and quiet

Wow, new to this site, but how many memories is it stirring !!!!

Roxys - first club I ever went to - didnt know any better at the time he he. This would have been mid to late 80s.

I remember having to wear trousers, shoes and a shirt with a collar to get in on a Sat - nitemare !!

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

I knew one of the djs. Poxy Roxys or cairos? I think Roxys always won in the end, where we'd all pile in., and fight for the taxis at the end of the night! Grab a granny night on thursday or on saturdays see most of the 14yrs trying to pass for 18. Fridays was the best!

Guest seanylove

does anyone know when the refurbishment will be finished? and when it will be openin up as a live music venue?

Guest witch74

The academy is opening in April. The first gig is local band reverend and the makers on the 11th and the human league are playing on the 20th. I think its going to be a welcome addition to sheffields live music scene.