Then & Now - Sheffield Trams

Stuart0742

Looking the other way, down Pinstone Street: another one where the angle was not perfect due to different road layouts and a reluctance to stand in the middle of the road.

Railgrinder 330 again.

Darnall

Looking along Main Road towards Handsworth. Most of the buildings to the left of the trams survive - everything to the right has gone

Car 339: built by the United Electric Car Co of Preston in 1907 and numbered 261, extensively modernised and rebuilt in 1927, renumbered 339 in 1937 and finally withdrawn from service in 1956: not a bad innings!

Car 72 (if I am reading the number correctly) was built at Queens Road in 1930 and lasted until 1960.

Looking down Main Road towards the Staniforth Road Junction. Boots is now a dental centre, and the railings are not too dissimilar. A perfect replication of the then image would have involved standing in the middle of the road again.

Car 182, built at Queens Road in 1934, withdrawn in 1957.

Looking along Staniforth Road towards Main Road. Another now shot with a less than perfect angle. I am not standing in the middle of Staniforth Road to achieve the perfect reproduction :o

Car 175 had a Cravens body on a Brill truck and was built in 1902. It had a top cover fitted in 1904 or 1905 and was withdrawn in 1939.

Shoreham Street, at the junction with St Mary's Road

I wasn't expecting the Premier Motor Body building to be extant.

Car 150 was built by W Hill of South Shields in 1930 and lasted until 1960.

Abbeydale Road at Woodseats Road

Not a great deal of change here (apart from the traffic lights and a lack of trams). Car 222 yet again, this time using the crossover and trolley reverser

Beauchief Terminus

The usual proliferation of traffic lights!

Car 98, 1932 Queens Road vintage and car 506, built by Chas Roberts in 1950. Both were scrapped in 1960

Woodseats, Abbey Lane Junction

Car 212 built at Queens Road in 1935. In the second photo, two Roberts cars and an unknown "standard", probably 222 again (as it is on a special tour).

Other then and nows for the Woodseats area will have to wait until I am upstairs on a double decker bus.

amazing pictures Madannie keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for that, andyrad. I've been enjoying your old shots of Sheffield buses as well, as it makes up for my lack of photgraphy in my youth.

Then and nows from me are likely to come in batches, as I don't get down to Sheffield very often. Nearly finished the latest batch (a few guesswork ones coming soon) and there will probably be no more form me until early next year.

I also appreciate that my "now" images are lacking a signature such as that white van, but I always travel by public transport when in Sheffield.

Thanks for that, andyrad. I've been enjoying your old shots of Sheffield buses as well, as it makes up for my lack of photgraphy in my youth.

Then and nows from me are likely to come in batches, as I don't get down to Sheffield very often. Nearly finished the latest batch (a few guesswork ones coming soon) and there will probably be no more form me until early next year.

I also appreciate that my "now" images are lacking a signature such as that white van, but I always travel by public transport when in Sheffield.

Thanks for the kind words,

I work at one of the car dealers on Saville street and was showing a collegue one of your then and nows and he said "i thought i saw someone with a camera and a tripod!" when he was on his way home, must have been some time last week!

Thanks for the kind words,

I work at one of the car dealers on Saville street and was showing a collegue one of your then and nows and he said "i thought i saw someone with a camera and a tripod!" when he was on his way home, must have been some time last week!

Not me, guv :) . The now shots were taken using my compact Samsung camera - I am not always comfortable in certain parts of Sheffield with a large SLR camera and a camera bag - and the compact is so fast at turning on it enables me to get shots of buses and trams which I wouldn't otherwise obtain. I do carry a mini-tripod (for use at night on railway stations, mainly), but I would look a right fool kneeling down to use that on Savile Street lol

Hang on.....I am a right fool :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Back to town. A bit of a guess, this one, which on reflection I might have got a bit wrong. It does highlight the changes in the area, however.

Ecclesall Road Junction

Based on the kerb visible on the right of the then shot being part of Cemetery Road, I think the location is approximately where I was stood.

Car 133, built at Queens Road in 1942 to replace a car with the same number destroyed in the blitz. It lasted until 1960.

Not me, guv :) . The now shots were taken using my compact Samsung camera - I am not always comfortable in certain parts of Sheffield with a large SLR camera and a camera bag - and the compact is so fast at turning on it enables me to get shots of buses and trams which I wouldn't otherwise obtain. I do carry a mini-tripod (for use at night on railway stations, mainly), but I would look a right fool kneeling down to use that on Savile Street lol

Hang on.....I am a right fool :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

ah wasnt you then...

your not a fool, if you are then i am too! :o I know what you mean about the erm...lets say less desirable areas and carrying expensive equipment!

Out to Crookes

School Road terminus

Either the wall has shrunk or the road level has been raised. The trees have got a bit bigger, as well.

Car 256 was built at Nether Edge works in 1906 and fitted with a lower than usual top cover to enable it to pass under Heeley railway bridge. It was withdrawn in 1931. The destination Heeley via Queens Road dates the picture to after November 1911, when a through service from Crookes to Heeley (and later Woodseats) was started.

And back down to the University area. These are "best guess", as things have changed somewhat in the area :o

Looking down Western Bank, with the tram turning into Hounsfield Road

Car 427, Queens Road, 1920, withdrawn in 1950

Looking the other way, up Western Bank

Car 456 was built by Cravens in 1926 and was withdrawn in 1957.

Looking up Hounsfield Road. In a reversal of the usual procedure, it looks like the then picture was taken from the pavement whereas I stood in the middle of the road :o . The building site and scaffolding got in the way of a more precise "now" shot, but the change is readily apparent.

And at the other side of the Arts Tower (whatever happened to that gigantic Sheffield History advert?).

Winter Street. Just about the only reference point is the Star & Garter on the extreme left of the picture.

Another Cravens built car, 453, built in 1926 and withdrawn in 1956.

Last couple for now, at Intake.

Another view of Intake terminus, to complement Stuart0742s shot earlier in the thread. Having studied the maps carefully, I think I was not quite far enough up Mansfield Road, but the changes are apparent.

Car 145 built by W Hill of South Shields in 1929, withdrawn in 1956

Car 346, built by United Electric Car Co of Preston in 1907 as number 268, rebuilt in 1927, renumbered 346 in 1937 and withdrawn in 1955.

This car has the destination "SPECIAL", which suggests to me that the photo was taken on 1st May 1955 when it was used for an LRTA tour. Apparently this car, as with all the "Preston" cars (originally 258-272, later 336-350) did not have air brakes and was not allowed to use Duke Street and City Road, so travelled to Intake via Darnall and Prince of Wales Road. (tour details from Tramway Review Issue 215, September 2008)

Looking down Mansfield Road, from the junction with Sharrard Road

Car 300, a 1939 Queens Road product, withdrawn in 1959.

Attercliffe Road / Staniforth Road Junction

Then taken 16th February 1958, now taken 27th December 2010

Car 277, built at Queens Road in 1937 and withdrawn in 1958

and another view of the same row of shops

Car 264 built at Queens Road in 1937, withdrawn 1960 and now at Crich Tramway Museum

Some parts of Attercliffe have changed a bit :o . At least Clay Street and Fell Road still exist to help with the location.

From Clay Street, looking towards Kirkbridge Road (or where it was, anyway)

Car 33 built at Queens Road in 1930 and withdrawn in 1957.

Back to Town:

Hallatt's Cafe on The Wicker

The cafe has gone, although the buildings behind the tram are still there: regrettably the electrified railway has also gone :angry::(

The car is Queens Road built 267: 1937 - 1960