Then & Now - Sheffield Trams

Stuart0742

Up to Fargate now:

Approaching the junction with High Street and Church Street. I should really have waited for a Supertram to come past, but it was raining and I was in a hurry.

151 was one of 25 cars built by W Hill & Co of South Shields in 1930, withdrawn in 1957.

A bit further up Fargate

Car 509 of 1950, scrapped in 1960.

• Like 1

And so to the top of Fargate

Looking down Fargate with the Town Hall to the right: I got my angle slightly wrong here: perhaps I shall revisit this one when the tree has vanished, revealing more of the left hand side of Fargate.

Car 236, built at Queens Road in 1936 and seen on 27th March 1954: now shot taken on 24th December 2010.

And looking towards Leopold Street. Having not been able to get decent shots of this area previously due to the big wheel, I now find the only appreciable change in this scene to be obscured by a Christmas tree :o . Why is there a hayrick-like construction on Fargate?

Car 234, another 1936 Queens Road product.

Moorhead

Looking down The Moor on 16th November 1957 and 24th December 2010. 1935 built "standard" car 220 on the right and 260, a "domed roof" or "improved standard" car of 1937 is entering The Moor from the Furnival Street direction. It is also obscuring Redgates :angry::o

Looking the other way from approximately the same place as car 102 approaches from Furnival Street on the same day. Someone has put a building where the old road was

• Like 1

Two more from The Moor, both looking up Pinstone Street, and in both of which the now is not quite in the same position because of all the junk (or is it street Furniture?) which litters The Moor these days.

Car 347 started life as number 269, built by the United Electric Co of Preston in 1907, rebuilt by Sheffield Corporation in 1924, renumbered to 347 in 1937 and withdrawn in 1952. Not a bad innings.

Car 14 was one of the original batch of 25 electric cars built by Milnes of Birkenhead in 1899, gaining a top cover in 1912 and being withdrawn in 1929.

Attercliffe Road / Staniforth Road Junction

Then taken 16th February 1958, now taken 27th December 2010

Car 277, built at Queens Road in 1937 and withdrawn in 1958

and another view of the same row of shops

Car 264 built at Queens Road in 1937, withdrawn 1960 and now at Crich Tramway Museum

Thanks for those images madannie

My wife is related to the Baldocks who ran the meat / fish / game shops on Attercliffe

Round the corner and onto what was Furnival Street, which is a much changed road. The now shot is not from the same place as the then as I do not want to stand in the middle of Furnival Gate, and the complete lack of landmarks to pin down the location exactly means the comparison might not be exact. It does, however, give a clear indication of the changes here.

Car 260 of 1937 again: this time seen on 23rd November 1957. Now shot taken on 24th December 2010

And at the other end of Furnival Street

Queens Road built car 219 which served the city from 1935 until 1960 is seen turning into Furnival Street on 28th December 1957, the now shot being taken on 27th December 2010.

Paternoster Row

Two comparisons looking along Paternoster Row, seemingly as free of traffic now as it was 50 -60 years ago. Nice view of Arthur Davy & Sons' building.

Car 102 of 1932 is seen on 20th September 1953 as it enters Brown Street: my attempts to get a decent now shot with a bus in were thwarted by the poor light and the speed of the buses, so First 69051 is a bit blurred.

Car 501, the prototype post-war vehicle built in 1946 is seen on 22nd May 1949, before the 35 cars of the production batch had been built.

Back to Haymarket:

Haymarket - High Street Junction

Car 25 of 1929 turning from Haymarket into High Street. Supertram 101 heading up High Street in a blur, demonstrating how poor the light was when I took the now shot.

Further down Haymarket

Roberts car 503 of 1950 is seemingly under investigation on 5th January 1958 as a good crowd looks on.

The Intake tram terminus from 1902 to 1935 was at the junction of Mansfield Road (originally Main Road) and Woodhouse Road, as seen here.

Thew usual caveat applies: clearly to replicate the exact angle of the "then" image would have entailed standing in the middle of Mansfield Road, and however crazy I am, I am not doing that. :wacko:

And so up Mansfield Road to Manor Top. The road layout again made an exact replication difficult. Not sure why I didn't wait for a Supertram in the now shot :unsure: .

Two from the top of Prince of Wales Road:

Looking down Prince of Wales Road, with part of Prince Edward School on the right, with 1922 built tram 400 heading towards Intake and a Roberts car going down Prince of Wales Road.

I got this one a bit wrong, as I couldn't see a common reference. It was only when processing the images that I realised that the traction pole visible behind car 189 is still in situ and now in white :o. Car 189 was on an enthusiasts tour on 30th March 1958, and is still going strong at Crich :) .

And to the other end of Prince of Wales Road, by the railway bridge.

I even managed to get a white van in this one, just like vox does in his then and nows lol . Pity the railway is no longer electrified. Car 503, one of the post war Roberts cars, built 1950 and scrapped 1960 :( .

Darnall again: I like doing then and nows in Darnall, as not a great deal has changed.

Main Road

An overexposed shot of car 123 (1933 to 1959) in April 1958, and two single deck buses in August 2011.

The spur in Main Road, used for short workings of the Handsworth tram service.

Car 189 on that 30th March 1958 tour again.

And just around the corner at the original Darnall terminus in Staniforth Road is car 131, built in 1901, fitted with a top cover in 1903 and withdrawn in 1926. I like the time clock on the pole just behind the tram.

This one is an obvious best guess, based on comparisons of old and new maps.

B & C Co-op at the junction of Sheffield Road and Bawtry Road in Tinsley.

As far as I can tell, the location of the co-op was somewhere in the middle of the roundabout. Whatever, the area has changed somewhat in the last half century!

The top photo is of very scruffy car 255 with a white fender. Painting fenders white was a wartime measure to make the cars more visible during blackouts. The middle shot is of one of Rotherham Corporation's single ended cars, no 2. The bottom shot is a traffic roundabout in 2011!

Good work as ever MA

Thank you vox. I have to do something with my time when I am in Sheffield stocking up on Henderson's (and visiting relations)

Back to the City Centre:

Snig Hill, looking from Angel Street.

Queen's Road built car 197 (1934 - 1959) seen on 17th August 1957: modern image by me on 9th August 2011. I see that the building in the background (the name escapes me) is smaller than it was 54 years ago.

These two were interesting, and again subject to some speculation and compromises due to completely different road layouts. Things have changed a bit in this part of town :o.

Commercial Street, from Sheaf Street (ish)

At least there was one building to use as a reference point for this one. Car 95 was built at Queens Road in 1932 and lasted until 1959: car 144 was built by W Hill of South Shields in 1929, again lasting until 1959.

Sheaf Street, from Commercial Street (ish)

Looking from the bottom of Commercial Street along Sheaf Street towards the Corn Exchange. This one is more of an indicative shot to show the changes at this junction since the 1950s as I found it impossible to get an accurate location. Car 518 had a working life of just 9 years, from 1951 to 1960.

One more from Commercial Street.

Car 490 was built by Cravens in 1926 and was scrapped in 1954. Then shot: date unknown, now shot December 2010.

Back out to Woodseats

Bottom of Meadowhead

Not a great deal of background to this shot, but it gives me a chance to include a snowplough. 357 was originally double deck car 225, built in 1904 and converted to a snowplough in 1933.

Chesterfield Road, junction of Cobnar Road

Car 241 of 1936, date unknown, and First Group 37526 of 2008, 11th August 2011.

This one has a little extra interest for me as I believe that one of my relatives had the shop on the corner (no 861 Chesterfield Road) for a time, although I am not sure of the dates - my guess is either the late 1940s and/or early 1950s.

And stopping off on the way back to town at Lowfields

Looking up London Road from Lowfields School. It looks like the then shot was taken from the middle of the road, possibly from another tram, so the now is at a different angle. All is much the same, except for one building on the right hand side which has vanished. Pity the bus shelter was in the way, though.

Car 66, built at Queens Road in 1930 and withdrawn in 1957. I tried getting a bus in the now shot, but it obscured too much of the background.

Just around the corner, heading towards Highfields

London Road

Not a lot of change here, apart from shops changing uses and owners. Even the "London Road" sign is still there, now painted over.

Highfields Library

Another location where there has been little change: car 222 of 1935, destined to be the very last tram in regular service heading onto Abbeydale Road, and First 37497 going the same way.