Then & Now - Sheffield Trams

Stuart0742

Neepsend Lane/Ball St/ Mowbray St Junction

Now photo by VOX

Fantastic photo's Stuart0742, keep them coming, takes me back a bit, can't wait for the trip down Prince of Wales Rd, then down the "Cliff".

Regards Peter

Guest Francine

This is the start of a new series of Then & Nows, based on a set of Tram photo's I have. Please post comments and memories as the topic progresses.

My grandfather rode the trams (conductor) in the twenties and I think a bit earlier.. He was called Charles Frederick Drake. (known as Fred). He went blind suddenly c. age 57. He had been a valet to Duke of Connaught prior to return to Sheffield with Irish wife. Simply pipe dreaming that a photo or reminiscence will turn up. Cheers and 'any road up'

Francine X

Furnival St - Brown St - Paternoster Row

Furnival St

Brown St from Furnival St

Rutland Hotel just off to the left

Paternoster Row from Brown St

Kennings Building

Rutland Hotel for Transit :)

Looks like the tram in many of your photo's. Inscription on reverse side reads:

Built 1907 by U.E.C. on Peckham P22 trucks. Fleet No's 258-272 (Re-numbered 1937 No's 336-350)

The horse tramways of the Sheffield Tramways Co. were taken over by the Corporation in July 1896 Electric operation commenced on the 5th September 1899. Some cars of this class remained in service until the end.They were quipped with 2 BTH 40 hp motors and Westinghouse T2C controllers. Number 342 is now preserved at the British Railways Transport Museum at Clapham and number 349 of the same class, converted in 1951 for service as a stores car, was delivered to the Crich Tramways Museum in December 1960 where it has since been converted into a mobile electric generating unit.

Abbeydal Rd South

Towards Millhouses Park

No. 370 I Can't find this car in Chas Hall

370 was built at Queens Road in 1931 to the standard design, but it had an aluminium body and because of the lighter weight of this it had 40hp motors instead of the usual 50hp motors. It was withdrawn in 1957.

A couple on West Street: typical that I choose a time for the ""now" when the Cavendish building is surrounded by scaffolding

weststreet1mono.jpg

204: built at Queens Road in 1935, withdrawn in 1959.

118: built by Siemens-Duewag, Dusseldorf, 1992/3

weststreet2mono.jpg

23: built at Queens Road in 1929, withdrawn in 1957

112: built by Siemens-Duewag, Dusseldorf in 1992/3 and demonstrating the length of the new trams: it didn't all fit in the picture :o

A couple on West Street: typical that I choose a time for the ""now" when the Cavendish building is surrounded by scaffolding

204: built at Queens Road in 1935, withdrawn in 1959.

118: built by Siemens-Duewag, Dusseldorf, 1992/3

23: built at Queens Road in 1929, withdrawn in 1957

112: built by Siemens-Duewag, Dusseldorf in 1992/3 and demonstrating the length of the new trams: it didn't all fit in the picture :o

VERY good ones MA

Perfect positions

parksideroad_colour.jpgAnother Parkside Road shot: this time looking from Middlewood Road. The angle is not quite right for the now shot, as the proliferation of street furniture meant a direct replication would have had too many signs and poles in the way.

post-6334-096438400%201282390257_thumb.j

Car 189: built at Queens Road in 1934, now residing at the Tramway Museum, Crich.

middlewood_colour.jpgMiddlewood Terminus.

The Supertram doesn't make it quite as far as the old system, although the very last pole for supporting the overhead can be seen in front of the two shops.

post-6334-047634600%201282391005_thumb.j

Car 201, built in 1934 at Queens Road, the last to be outshopped new in the traditional livery and destroyed in the Blitz in December 1940, a replacement 201 being built to the later "domed-roof" design.

West Bar and West Bar Green

westbar.jpg

Car 112 was built in 1942 to replace a car with the same number destroyed in the blitz and it was withdrawn from service in 1960.

westbargreen.jpg

Car 296 heading up West Bar Green towards Tenter Street depot, behind another car. 296 was built in 1938 at Queens Road and withdrawn in 1960.

Found it impossible to get exactly the right position for this shot due to changes in road layout and a multitude of road signs and traffic lights, as well as the general difficulty in getting the angles right discussed in the Tram Locations thread.

Looking down Haymarket and Waingate

waingate.jpg

Car 302, built at Queens Road in 1939 and withdrawn in 1959: bus 505 (4505WB), a Leyland PD2/30 with Roe bodywork, was new in 1958.

Two from The Wicker

Rather more traffic in shot then than now, for a change :)

wicker.jpg

Car 183 built at Queens Road in 1934 and withdrawn in 1960: bus 791 (XWJ791) is a Weymann bodied AEC Regent V new in 1957.

wickerarches.jpg

Car 264, another Queens Road product from 1937 which was withdrawn in 1960 and now residing at Crich :) . The bus is just a modern lump of metal and plastic (actually a Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B9TL, First 37258 (YN07MKZ), should anyone other than me care to know).

Wandering down Savile Street, we come to the Albion Works. Didn't quite get the angle right this time, but I'm not coming back for another go for a few months!

albionworks1.jpg

Car 296 was built in 1938 at Queens Road, lasting until 1960.

One looking the other way towards the Albion Works from Attercliffe Road

albionworks2.jpg

Car 231 was the first built at Queens Road with the modernised domed roof design, in 1936, and it was withdrawn in 1960.

Back down The Wicker and turning right into Bridge Street:

Looking towards Castlegate

bridgestreet1.jpg

"Roberts" car 518 was built in 1951 and managed a mere 9 years service before being scrapped :( . I like the destination "Cricket Ground"

Looking the other way, towards the site of Bridge Street Bus Station and West Bar. Rather more change is immediately apparent

bridgestreet2.jpg

Tram 501 was the prototype for the "Roberts" cars, being built at Queens Road in 1946, and 222 was another built at Queens Road in 1935. Both survived until 1960, 222 being the last tram in public service.

More nice work MA. Well done.

I'm following your photographic route around town to try to work out where you saw your "Mystery Clock" I'm guessing it was while you were taking tram photos.

No Luck yet.

More nice work MA. Well done.

I'm following your photographic route around town to try to work out where you saw your "Mystery Clock" I'm guessing it was while you were taking tram photos.

No Luck yet.

Be warned, vox, that my then and nows are not necessarily being uploaded in the order in which the modern images were taken, and that they were taken over the course of three days. In addition, there were convoluted perambulations between some of the locations :)

Some comparisons around Tinsley Tram Depot. Apologies for the spot in the bottom left hand corner of some of the now images: my compact camera has developed this strange and seemingly immovable spot on the lens :angry::(

Looking across Sheffield Road towards the Commercial Hotel

weedonstreet4.jpg

Car 219, the only one with a visible number in the then shot, was built by Brush in 1904, had a top cover fitted in 1909 and was withdrawn from service in 1930

Looking across Weedon Street: the angle is not quite right due to the changes in road layout and the advertising hoarding.

weedonstreet1.jpg

Car 269 was built at Queens Road in 1938 and withdrawn from service in 1959.

Further along Weedon Street

weedonstreet2.jpg

Car 89, built in 1931 at Queens Road and withdrawn in 1960.

Looking back from Weedon Street towards Sheffield Road. A bit trickier, as there are no reference points that I can see and the road layout is rather different. This is my best guess.

weedonstreet3.jpg

Car 536, the very last tram built for Sheffield, in 1952. It lasted a mere 8 years in service and was the last tram to be taken from Tinsley depot to be broken up by T W Ward :(

Be warned, vox, that my then and nows are not necessarily being uploaded in the order in which the modern images were taken, and that they were taken over the course of three days. In addition, there were convoluted perambulations between some of the locations :)

Plan "B" then.

Back to the city centre:

Top of Church Street, looking towards West Street

churchstreettop.jpg

Car 210, built at Queens Road in 1935, withdrawn in 1960

Looking the other way, back down Church Street. The then picture is not great quality, and the now was a bit fuzzy as well!

churchstreet.jpg

Car 243: 1936 to 1958, built at Queens Road

Leopold Street

leopoldstreet1.jpg

Car 222 of 1935 again.

leopoldstreet2.jpg

Railgrinder 330, originally Bradford Corporation 251, bought and regauged in 1943 and converted to a railgrinder in 1951. Now residing at Crich.

A third then and now for the Leopold Street/Fargate junction was scuppered by a large wheel :(