Then & Now - Sheffield Trams

Stuart0742

Hi Paul,, The sight of this menu  prompted me to dig out my copy of the Last Tram souvenir published by the Star on 1st October 1960, and look at all the great photos of the era of Sheffield trams 1873 to 1960.

Bob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,, The sight of this menu  prompted me to dig out my copy of the Last Tram souvenir published by the Star on 1st October 1960, and look at all the great photos of the era of Sheffield trams 1873 to 1960.

Bob

Hi Bob and Steve,

Thanks for those Postings. It's over 60yrs since that fateful night in October 1960 but those pictures brought back a lot of childhood memories.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

• Like 1

What was a bus showing "2 Elm Tree" doing on Abbeydale Road near Broadfield Road. This was the Outer Circle route and only touched Abbeydale Road briefly after descending Carterknowle Road and then turning off almost straight away up Woodseats Road.

Was there a diversion on or was the driver lost?? Who knows?

3 hours ago, Transportphil said:

What was a bus showing "2 Elm Tree" doing on Abbeydale Road near Broadfield Road. This was the Outer Circle route and only touched Abbeydale Road briefly after descending Carterknowle Road and then turning off almost straight away up Woodseats Road.

Was there a diversion on or was the driver lost?? Who knows?

I think that would be a short runner (duplicate) picking up service at Woodseats Road bottom. I remember working something like that on part day duties, and picking up loads of school kids on route..

On 18/03/2021 at 18:50, BobN said:

Bob

I've still got mine, too. But I wonder who still has a bent penny (if you have, you'll know what I mean).

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've still got mine, too. But I wonder who still has a bent penny (if you have, you'll know what I mean).

We put six inch nails on the tracks and fashioned  miniature swords out of them, they looked great to our eyes.

• Like 1

Thanks Southside, what a lovely find. I can see I'll be watching that again to look at the people and their antics, the buildings no longer there and of course the Trams. 

• Like 1

Less horsemuck than I'd have thought, and more hats. Great great grandad's jewellers shop on the left on the Moor, just past Atkinsons.

• Like 1

Hi Ponytail,  My grandfather was 16 when this film was made, he lived with us until his death in 1967, how wonderful it would have been to sit and watch this with him, the questions I could have asked.

Even though I was nearly 21 at the time of his death I knew very little about his early years. He worked in the foundry at Hadfields during the first World War, said he caught the early tram down to Attercliffe from his home on Club Garden Road every day of the week throughout the war years.

Any one have any ideas as to what these two Carter's in the film are hauling up Haymarket?

Screenshot_2024-01-12-20-21-25-740.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-01-12-20-36-07-946.jpeg

12 minutes ago, southside said:

Hi Ponytail,  My grandfather was 16 when this film was made, he lived with us until his death in 1967, how wonderful it would have been to sit and watch this with him, the questions I could have asked.

Even though I was nearly 21 at the time of his death I knew very little about his early years. He worked in the foundry at Hadfields during the first World War, said he caught the early tram down to Attercliffe from his home on Club Garden Road every day of the week throughout the war years.

Any one have any ideas as to what these two Carter's in the film are hauling up Haymarket?

Screenshot_2024-01-12-20-21-25-740.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-01-12-20-36-07-946.jpeg

Not sure, I'm probably way off the mark, first thought was No.1 some sort of scrap metal. Having said that I do hope it's not food!! No idea on the second. 

Many questions I too would have liked to have asked my Grandparents born 1878/9 and 1884. 3 of whom died in the 1950's before I was 9 years old. I'm fortunate although I didn't get to talk to them about their early lives; dad's mother was an avid Scrapbooker and stuck everything into it and my mothers father saved everything about his life from postcards to receipts.

Amazing what they've been able to do with the film.