Then & Now - Sheffield Trams

Stuart0742

And through town to Owlerton

Penistone Road, looking towards Beulah Road

Bit of a change here: in fact most of Penistone Road looks completely different to how I remembered it from the many times I walked to and from Hillsborough in the 1980s.

It's car 189 on that tour of 30th March 1958 again, outside Newboulds Bakery.

Parkside Road (again)

This was a popular location with tram photographers due to the number of trams used to shift the crowds when Wednesday were playing at home.

Junction of Parkside Road and Penistone Road: this might not be spot on as the road layout has changed and all the buildings in the then shot have gone.

Cars 8 of 1928 and 247 of 1936 on 6th October 1956: Wednesday beat Sunderland 3-2.

Junction of Parkside Road and Catch Bar Lane

Car 511 (1950-1960), with the Kop and part of the South Stand clearly visible . Both are now obscured by tree growth. Then shot taken on 11th January 1958 (Wednesday 4 Portsmouth 2). Now shot taken 11th August 2011.

Two more views at the junction of Parkside Road and Catch Bar Lane

Looking along Parkside Road towards Penistone Road and Hillsborough Park

A coincidence I didn't notice until preparing these shots for the website. Car 194 (1934-1958) on 12th October 1957 (Wednesday 0 Blackpool 3). Now shot taken on 11th August 2011 (Wednesday 0-0 Blackpool, Wednesday winning on penalties in the Milk Littlewoods Rumbelows Coca-Cola Worthington Carling League Cup).

Looking along Catch Bar Lane

Car 404 (1919-1954), 20th March 1954 (Wednesday beat Arsenal 2-1). More foliage obstructing buildings in the background.

Back to Crookes. thanks to some inclement weather and poor judgement I still have some more to do:

Looking along Pickmere Road:

And further along Pickmere Road was Crookes depot. Works car 373 started life as horse tram no 8 in 1897 and converted to an electric works car in 1906.

Just up the road, from the side of the Ball Inn. The pub sign has changed and there has been some infilling, but no drastic change.

Down the road this time, to the Old Grindstone.

Looking up the hill towards Lydgate Lane, not much has changed: much of the stone has been cleaned and the road layout is different:

Looking the other way,however, much has changed:

Good work as usual MA

Wet work as well on the day in question.

Across town to Ecclesall. I made a bit of a pig's ear of the Ecclesall terminus shots, so heading back to town along Ecclesall Road South we find (or don't find) RIppon Bros:

The original Ecclesall terminus, looking straight up Psalter Lane.

The "then" shot dates from between 1913, when car 2 had a top cover fitted, and 1922 when the Ecclesall route was extended from this terminus to Millhouses Lane.

I have already done a then & now for the Cavendish Building, but I like this "Then" shot so much I just had to use it.

Then: April 1909 with decorations for the visit of the Prince & Princess of Wales to open new buildings at the University. Car 148 heading towards town.

Now: December 2014 with snow and not many people about. Car 102 heading towards town. The 1909 motor has been replaced by a Stagecoach lol:rolleyes:.

My plans for this year's Christmas visit to Sheffield were stymied by the Boxing Day snow, so I have fewer "then and nows" than anticipated. Nether Green & Fulwood will have to wait!

Western Bank and Childrens Hospital

Makes a change from having the University as a background.

J G Graves' building has gone but the Childrens Hopsital remains. No traffic other than car 529 in the 1950s, and not a lot more on 27th December 2014 due to the heavy snowfall of the previous day.

Back to the Pond Street/Sheaf Street/Paternoster Row/Howard Street junction (as it used to be)

Looking from Pond Street up Paternoster Row, with what was Howard Street and is now a pedestrianised area heading off to the right, with Cravens built car 454 dominating the then shot. I probably should have been a little further back for the "now" shot

Looking towards Suffolk Road, with the Kennings Building on the right, Roberts car 514 dominating the shot in the 1950s and a bus shelter dominating in 2014 :unsure:.

To me the station car park in the background is not that dissimilar to the building there in the 1950s.

And looking the other way, along Pond Street, there has been a bit of change :o.

Not entirely sure whether I was in exactly the right spot, but I don't think it matters too much, as the change is so apparent. Then was June 1949, now was December 2014. It is a shame that the tramcar is in the way - it would be nice to see what the rest of Pond Street looked like 65 years ago from this angle.

And now for something a little different, and something with coincidences which I was not aware of until processing this then and now tonight:

Ridgeway Road, just approaching Gleadless Townend tram stop

Not quite the same position for the now shot (based on the tramway signpost ahead of the tram in the then shot, but I was working from memory.

The then shot is of tram 22 taken on 27th December 1994. The now is of the same tram (now renumbered 122) taken exactly 20 years later. Pure coincidence on both the tram and the date!

It also appears that in the intervening 20 years I have gone from holding the camera tilted slighlty to the left to tilted slightly to the right :unsure:. I never was very level-headed, though :wacko:.

Sorting through my then and nows I have found a few from January 2012 which for reasons unknown I did not post at the time.

So, to add to the Pond Street/Howard Street ones from yesterday, another view of The Howard. With this one I deliberately put more sky in the now shot to highlight the height of the building behind The Howard.

Stores car 349 started life as car 271 in 1907 and was converted in 1927. It was used as the illuminated car in the last tram procession in October 1960 and then went to Crich, being used as a generator vehicle before being scrapped in the late 1960s.

I've just spent an enthralled half hour, or perhaps hour, I lost track of time, going through this whole thread which evokes many memories. I was delighted to see a shot of 506, the car in which little Athy and his Daddy (as I still called him then) rode on Last Tram Day morning. Immense thanks to the people who have put so much effort into assembling this thread - or rather, archive - over the last few years.

Looking at post 95, I wonder what the intriguingly-named "Gallons Ltd." made or sold: petrol? Milk? Cowboy hats? Whatever it was, it was a quality product because it says so above the shop, but I can't read the rest of the script.

Looking at post 95, I wonder what the intriguingly-named "Gallons Ltd." made or sold: petrol? Milk? Cowboy hats? Whatever it was, it was a quality product because it says so above the shop, but I can't read the rest of the script.

"Gallons" was a grocers/general provisions merchants, having quite a few shops in Sheffield ........ Whether it was Sheffield based I don't know but a search on "Picture Sheffield" throws up more shops.

The shop I remember most in that row was "Boldocks" the fishmonger where my mum would buy shellfish on a Saturday to save going into town to the market.

Having not done any of these for two years :o I have been out and about. Looks like some of the enthusiasm for the forum has returned :)

Out to Nether Green for the first two. Not a massive change here, really. The now shots were taken on 27th December 2016.

The first shot is car 213 at Nether Green, which was the terminus of route F (for Fulwood) during the short period when route letters were used, the practice ending in 1905. Car 213 was built at Nether Edge works in 1903 and withdrawn in 1930, having received a top cover in 1908. It would have been a bit bracing on the top deck on this day.

nether green 213.jpg

The second shot is of car 149. New in 1901, covered top fitted in 1903 and withdrawn in 1924. It is working on the Nether Green to Nether Edge service, which ended as a through service in 1925. The route to Nether Green via Broomhill was closed in 1936.

nether green 149.jpg

Back to Broomhill for the next two.

Not a lot of change at Crookes Junction, either. Looking up Crookes Road from the junction, the buildings on the left have gone but everything else remains (except the trams, of course). A 1957 shot of car 144 heading for the LMS Station, despite the LMS having vanished 9 years previously. Trams from Crookes did not normally run to the Midland Station, so perhaps the car was heading into town from Crookes depot prior to taking up service on another route, possibly the Walkley service, where half of the cars ran to and from Midland Station.

Then was 12/04/57, now was 27/12/16

crookes junction144.jpg

Looking the other way, with plenty of snow and slush around. Car 53 is on a workers service to Brightside via Savile Street. Love the location of the stop, right on the junction. Then was 18/01/55, now was again 27/12/16crookes junction 53.jpg 

And down the hill towards town. A bit more change here and so a bit more randomness about the now shots.

Looking from the junction of the Crookes and Walkley routes down Hounsfield Road. The pointsman's hut is now superfluous as the lines to Walkley have gone although their location is still obvious. Then was 21/4/57, now was 27/12/16.  

I should probably have been further to my left, but I think the change is clear. At least there is one building remaining for reference.

hounsfield road 252.jpg

Looking the other way, when the Walkley route was still extant, with car 288 heading past the Scala Cinema. The now shot was really guesswork, limited by not wanting to stand in the middle of the road. I think it gives an indication of the changes in this area :o

Then was 27/5/47, now was 27/12/16

winter street 288.jpg