Sheffield Castle

RichardB

This is too long to post, please read the attachment.

Information from "The Story of Sheffield Castle" by David Saville (available from The Print and Design Shop, 279 Sharrow Vale Road, Sheffield s11 8ZF (Phone 0114 2679402)), and probably lots of other places.

The piece gives rise to a lot of questions e.g.

Where are the info. boards, what was on them ?

What can the Customer Information Centre tell us ?

Has anyone managed to get a decent picture of the remains we are allowed to see ?

There are pictures in the book, including one claiming to be a bit of burnt wood from the original castle, any ideas ?

The bells, the bells, where are the bells

Enjoy reading; go buy the book...

1996_Castle_Market_Exhibition_Centre.doc

I like both of those replies, a decent picture and a better version of the layout than the one I'd seen (very grim), thank you muchly for those.

Apparently there is a glass pane set into the floor, showing a charred remain of some wood from the original Castle, could someone local pester the Market people about this please ?

I think myself and james are going to go down and see it for ourselves and take cameras (if permitted)

Potted history - Sheffield Castle ...

wooden castle, burned down, stone one replaced it, Mary Queen of Scots blah, blah, 1647 Sheffield Castle ordered to be "Sleighted and demolished" by Parliament, "only a few stones remain" blah, blah.

Meanwhile, here's a picture of a Sheffield Castle door (1900), is there more than we are led to believe ?? Where did he find that ? is it, what the caption says it is ? Is the Pope ? .... and do bears really ...... ?

Get you down that hole, with a decent camera, hold yer breath, poisonous fumes, I laff in yer face :rolleyes: