Sheffield's Railway Stations

Stuart0742

Dore & Totley Station from what know is the Park and Ride, and recently a Garden Centre

Brightside station in the early 20th century, sorry about the poor quality, taken on camera phone from a book, in the dark. :D

temporary_zpsd24c6032.jpg

Guest Chris86

Hi all, have recently moved to Tankersley and have an intrest in Railways, as result I spent a bit of time between christmas and new year wondering about looking for any sign of then ever having been here!

I visited the sites of both Westwood station and Birdwell and Hoyland Common as they are both an easy walks from my house, and there is absolutely no trace of either- in fact there is apparenly no trace of the alignment/trackbed evident. Both sites are now woodland. In addition, where Westwood station is noted on the map futher up in the thread is slightly out- I believe having looked at a number of maps that it was located nearly opposite what is now the Tankersley Manor Hotel (just before the junction as you drive towards Sheffield, on the right).

Having found the pictures of both on the forum I was quite shocked that there was no sign of the formation given the size of the stations and the fact it was double track so some fairly serious earthworks must have been necessary.

Im going to make an effort to try and walk more of the disused railways between Sheffield and Barnsley so if anyone is interested I will post anything of mild excitement on here?

Chris

Hello Chris 86 and welcome.

Sounds like an interesting project.

By all means, please keep us updated with anything you find. (and equally interesting, I suppose, that you don't find) :)

Photos and maps are always a bonus.

Im going to make an effort to try and walk more of the disused railways between Sheffield and Barnsley so if anyone is interested I will post anything of mild excitement on here?

Chris

I would be up for doing that too Chris - i know a little of the lines and history. I agree with you that sites can be swallowed up so quickly, either by development or nature.

Guest Chris86

Well,

That being the case i will try and keep posted on what I find/don't find. I will have a bit of a bash at marking out on maps where the stations would have stood and post them as well once i have figured it out. Birdwell and Hoyland common is easy as its former site is immediately adjcent to the road up to my house, the other one is more difficult! I will also try and take a few photos too.

I must have walked approximately 3km as close to following the formation as I could between christmas and new year and you would never have known it was there, I also had a good stomp about on the site of the old Wharncliffe and Silkstone colliery site and found 'possibly' an original fencepost and one railway sleeper- I think the site of the sidings for the pit are now a surface drainage/flood relief Lagoon.

Chris

I am curious as to where the distances for the various stations came from. Could just be my memory playing tricks but I am sure there was a mile marker at the south end of Midland station that read 165.

I guess that would be the distance from London St. Pancras station, the terminus of the Midland Railway.

I guess that would be the distance from London St. Pancras station, the terminus of the Midland Railway.

Sheffield (Midland) is 159 Miles 49 Chains from St Pancras

The most recent sectional appendix I have (updated January 2014) has Sheffield at 158 miles 40 chains. It should be noted that the Midland Main Line now starts at 0 miles 12 chains since the rebuilding of St Pancras.

A lot of mileages were based on distance from the appropriate London terminus, but that is not always the case.

Where I am only one line is measured from London, which is the Midland Railway's line. The West Coast Main Line mileage into Carlisle is measured from Lancaster and resets to 0 for the line north to Glasgow. The Cumbrian Coast approaching Carlisle is measured from Maryport, the Tyne Valley from Newcastle, the Glasgow & South Western from Glasgow and what remains of the Waverley line from Edinburgh. It can all get a bit confusing, especially if all the freight and link lines in the area are included as most of them have their own mileages.

Sheffield (Midland) is 159 Miles 49 Chains from St Pancras

Check my previous post it should have read 158 Miles 41 Chains, thought I was a mile out. :o

Chapeltown (Mid)

Location Arundel St (Original Station)

Opened 1897

Relocated 2/4/1982

Closed Still open

There is a six page photo feature on Chapeltown South in the June 2014 Issue of Railway Bylines (Volume 19 No 7). Nine photos of the station buildings and structures with no trains in sight.

Have you any photo's of Neepsend station ? The grandfather of one of my neighbours used to catch a train from Neepsend to Ecclesfield,  though he does not remember in what direction. W/E.

Thanks for those fascinating photos, Mr. Stone. Has the station been taken over as a private residence, or is it just quietly slumbering? It looks as if it's in pretty good original condition externally.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 09:56, Athy said:

Thanks for those fascinating photos, Mr. Stone. Has the station been taken over as a private residence, or is it just quietly slumbering? It looks as if it's in pretty good original condition externally.

I do believe that it is now a private residence. There are more pictures here

These photos would make a modern manager shudder at the cost of his labour overheads. I doubt Sheffield (Midland) has so many  nowadays!

Here are some pictures of the old Chapeltown station before they moved it a couple of hundred metres nearer to the centre of Chapeltown. It is now at the side of the Asda. More pictures can be found here 

Station now and then.JPG

Chapletown station3.JPG

On 07/01/2014 at 17:29, Guest Chris86 said:

Hi all, have recently moved to Tankersley and have an intrest in Railways, as result I spent a bit of time between christmas and new year wondering about looking for any sign of then ever having been here!

I visited the sites of both Westwood station and Birdwell and Hoyland Common as they are both an easy walks from my house, and there is absolutely no trace of either- in fact there is apparenly no trace of the alignment/trackbed evident. Both sites are now woodland. In addition, where Westwood station is noted on the map futher up in the thread is slightly out- I believe having looked at a number of maps that it was located nearly opposite what is now the Tankersley Manor Hotel (just before the junction as you drive towards Sheffield, on the right).

Having found the pictures of both on the forum I was quite shocked that there was no sign of the formation given the size of the stations and the fact it was double track so some fairly serious earthworks must have been necessary.

Chris

You can follow the old track bed in unbuild on areas using this map 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/index.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.48245&lon=-1.48711&layers=168&b=1&r=30

Looking over Archer Road railway bridge and Millhouses Station.

Beyond the Station you can see the Engine Sheds located in front of Frank Guylee & son tool works

To the right of the Station Pickford Holland Refectory with its square brick chimney and quarry on the opposite side of Archer Road, further along Archer Road, Laycock Engineering with its round brick chimney.

Spent most of the six week holiday down at Millhouses in 1958 trainspotting with my mate, some times we`d buy a platform ticket and catch the train to the Midland Station, some of the trains had a few of the old 3rd Class carriages (the ones without corridors) we new if we got into one of these we could get down to the Midland without caught by the guard!! 

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW013684

Millhouses Station.jpg