Thornbridge Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Back in the 70's I worked for the schools service, and had a guided tour from the warden. it's an amazing, eccentric place. Mr Boot used to collect bits of properties he demolished and add them to the house. The hall panelling came from one place, the grand staircase from another, the stained glass from a third, and some of the chimneys from a fourth.

Outside in the grounds was an outbuilding with a small bay window which was said to have come from a caravan owned by Rudyard Kipling!

It's famous for the Thornbridge Clock. There are clocks throughout the house which are driven from a master clock via gears etc within the walls.

And in the master bedroom, set in the ceiling over the bed, was an enormous wind arrow connected to a vane on the roof. Apparently the original owner suffered from rheumatism, and when he woke up in the morning, would look up at the arrow, and if the wind was coming from a cold quarter, would stay in bed!

I was hoping that the walk programme would go further than the archway, because a drive from the front of the house goes diagonally across the road and straight through the arch to the railway platform. Where the drive meets the road is/was a large wrought iron gate, which was hydraulically opened from a tap in the porch, so the owner could turn the tap, get in his carriage, and by the time he got to the road, the gate would be open!

Anyone else go to Thornbridge Hall, near Great Lonstone from scholl. I first remember going at Primary school on a field trip for a week. I remember walking up the railway line through Dale head tunnel? out onto Monsal Viaduct, That started my love of the area! Then regularly camped on the field round the back doing Duke of Edinburghs Award.

Anyone else go to Thornbridge Hall, near Great Lonstone from scholl. I first remember going at Primary school on a field trip for a week. I remember walking up the railway line through Dale head tunnel? out onto Monsal Viaduct, That started my love of the area! Then regularly camped on the field round the back doing Duke of Edinburghs Award.

Yes Biggles, W had 2 or 3 stays there - had an excellent time. It helped to give my a lifelong love of walking in Derbyshire. I've seen it on TV recently - I think it has reverted to a private home?

Yes Biggles, W had 2 or 3 stays there - had an excellent time. It helped to give my a lifelong love of walking in Derbyshire. I've seen it on TV recently - I think it has reverted to a private home?

Its now owned by the woman who runs A4E, the company who takes money from the government, in exchange for getting the unemployed into work <_<

There was a documentary series on the tv about this firm.

Yes I went with school on a few occasions. One girl in our class said she was going to live in a house like that and we all fell about laughing - and now she does. She does run A4e plus a few other companies as well, and has done alright for herself.

Its now owned by the woman who runs A4E, the company who takes money from the government, in exchange for getting the unemployed into work <_<

She was also one of the 'secret millionaires' in the first series on TV.

Is this her Stuart?

Her name is Emma Harrison.

She is the boss of my wifes ex.

Didn't know she was a "secret millionaire" though.