Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames A-L

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Old Kit Bag

Hi,

been researching WW I soldiers from the North East for some time & I would be grateful if you would post a pic of L/Cpl Batty. W.H. Died. 7780 Coldstream Guards. Born Sunderland, enlisted Sheffield.

All the best

Jim

Guest Trefcon

His image appears in de Ruvigny's roll of honour, of which you can see on Ancestry.

SDGW have him as you know born Sunderland, but his orbit in Ruvigny's states he was born Sheffield, schooled here and married here. He joined the police force prior to enlisting.

Dean.

Guest Old Kit Bag

His image appears in de Ruvigny's roll of honour, of which you can see on Ancestry.

SDGW have him as you know born Sunderland, but his orbit in Ruvigny's states he was born Sheffield, schooled here and married here. He joined the police force prior to enlisting.

Dean.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the photograph & the details

All the best

Jim

Hi Dean,

do you have any images for any of these guys (I know they aren't on your list):

Pte. Harry Elliott 1958 RAMC (survived the war)

Gnr. John Henry White 786415 RFA (K.I.A.)

Regards

Chris.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Chris, afraid i cant help, i dont have those. I've not checked, but are they Sheffeild men ?

Dean.

Hi Chris, afraid i cant help, i dont have those. I've not checked, but are they Sheffeild men ?

Dean.

Hi Dean,

yes, both born in Sheffield.

Harry Elliott born around 1892 and John Henry White born 1897.

My great grandfather also served in the Great War, his name was Robert William White (born 1886), think he spent time posted to India.

Regards,

Chris.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Chris, was your great grandfather 795968 RFA, his father William Charles White of Mrytle road, Heeley ?

Hi Chris, was your great grandfather 795968 RFA, his father William Charles White of Mrytle road, Heeley ?

Hi Dean,

No, he had the same parents as John Henry White - they lived at Wallace Road, Sheffield.

Chris.

Chris, do you have any of Roberts service details ?

Dean.

Hi Dean,

afraid not, I just know he served abroad. My nan said once that he was a quartermaster's sergeant in India, I think, but that's all I know.

Couldn't match him to anything on Ancestry because I know where he was born and where he lived in Sheffield.

Chris.

Guest lelad

I've just found this site and seen the list of Sheffield soldiers. I think my grandfather is listed

Deakin. W. Served/Wounded. Pte. K.O.Y.L.I.

Can anyone tell me how do I get a photograph of him.

Many thanks

Lelad

Guest lelad

Here with W. Deakin Lelad.

Dean

Thanks Dean

We think this is my grandfather. Do you know where the original picture is from and if so do you know how I might be able to get hold of a copy.

Thanks

Lela

Guest Trefcon

Hi Lela, afraid i didn't keep an actual ref for this image, sorry. I can say that the image i posted will be the best you'll get though.

Dean.

Guest m111mmh

lookig for photo of w .a.h briggs served /wounded pte york/lancs plus any more imfo thanks mh

Hi,

I dont surpose you have a picture of William Henry Howson, his number was 54117 then it changed to 1045804.

He was in the 132nd Battery 13th Brigade Royal Field Artillery and he was still in the army in 1921.

thanks

mick

Guest Trefcon

Hi Mick, afraid not mate, sorry.

I do have his basic details in my 'paper' database, he'll be on the new site in the next upload.

Dean.

Hi Mick, afraid not mate, sorry.

I do have his basic details in my 'paper' database, he'll be on the new site in the next upload.

Dean.

Thanks Dean for looking, would you have a picture for a Private Harold Norton 143004, 25th bn Machine Gun Corps ( infantry ) He died aged 19 on the 14th april 1918?

thanks again

mick

Guest Trefcon

No luck again Mick.

I do have this image of the family headstone at Norton cemy though.

MIC states he was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals.

Born and enlisted at Sheffield, Died of wounds, and was formerly 45696 South Staffordshire Regiment.

Not looked for any 'papers'.

Dean.

No luck again Mick.

I do have this image of the family headstone at Norton cemy though.

MIC states he was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals.

Born and enlisted at Sheffield, Died of wounds, and was formerly 45696 South Staffordshire Regiment.

Not looked for any 'papers'.

Dean.

Dean,

Ok and thank you for looking

mick

Guest Peter S

Hi

this is a great website. Any chance of a photo of

Grady. Walter Henry, Died. 2nd Lieut. Royal Fusiliers. Ecclesall Road.

Thanks

Guest Nikki6118

Im desperate for a picture of Ernest Ridgeway (Private) 1st Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 4687688

He died 2 May 1944 Age 33 in a POW camp in Poland. Ive managed to get a picture of his grave, but i would love to get a picture of him. My grandmother has little memory of him and it would mean the world to her to see a picture of him again. He was born and lived in Sheffield.

Thanks

Nikki