Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames A-L

dunsbyowl1867

Guest TillyB

Hi All,

Fabulous site - and I really hope someone can help.

You don't happen to have any info on Ernest George Annely by any chance? Anything at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Til

Guest Trefcon

Hello Til,

below is what i have -

No doubt you have his CWGC page?

His name also appears on the Cemetery road Baptist Church roll of honour.

His medal index card is on Ancestry, with his widows address as 3 Grange Cresent road, Sharrow, Sheffield.

And this from 'The Holly Leaf', the teacher training magazine of the day, based at Collegiate Cresent, dated December 1917. You can ask to view this magazine at Local Studies.

"since our last issue our worst fears concerning Annely have been realised. He has been officially reported killed, and another has been added to our roll of those who scarcely assumed the dignity of command before they were cut off. Annely came to us from the Royal Grammer School, and left us for Borough Road College. All who knew him, knew him for a calm and gentle spirit, unruffled by the rush and turmoil of things. The Holly Guild gatherings and the Borough Road dinners will miss those sweet tenor songs which seemed part of himself: the teaching service will miss a man who trained his boys to be as courteous and urbane as himself. His contemporaries and his teachers will ever have the kindest recollection of him".

He sounded like a very nice chap indeed Til, God bless him.

Dean.

Guest TillyB

Hi Dean,

Thank you so much for the Annely information.

My paternal grandfather cut himself off from his family at about the ag of 15, and he never spoke of them again. Ernest Annely was his brother and a rather tragic tale. I know he was 'missing in action presumed dead' for a few days prior to them finding his body. I also know that his body was subsequently lost again and never recovered - but there is a memorial plaque to him in the CWGC graveyard.

Its really nice to know that he was a good man. The info that you sent is beyond anything I imagined I'd be able to find for him.

Thank you so much for your time and effort; it is very much valued and appreciated.

Warm regards

Til

Hoping for some advice on how to get a photo and/or an obituary notice for my grandfather's eldest brother, James Edward Meades. I believe he is the Meades listed as: Meades, J. Pte. Killed. Of 3 Higgett Road, Carbrook. 6/7/16 SDI. I have been on Ancestry and have found a Great War Honour Roll Listing for him. I also know he was buried at Sucrerie Cemetery in France. Any ideas? Thank you.

Jackie

Guest gaslamp

Hi,

I noticed that you have my Great Grandfather on your list of images for Great War Soldiers (Albert Himsworth; Pte; 13599; KOYLI) and I was wondering if you have any pictures of him?

We don't have any photos of him as he died when my Grandad was a new born so we would really be interested to see what he looked like.

Regards

Karl (gaslamp@hotmail.co.uk)

Guest Trefcon

Here you go Karl, and welcome to the forum.

His medal index card is on Ancestry, cant see any papers though.

Dean.

Guest gaslamp

Dean,

Many Thanks, I have tried to search for his service record but I believe it was lost in the fire which destroyed many of the WW1 service records. I do know that he died on 1 July 1916 at the Somme and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France.

Thanks again for your time and keep up the good work.

All the best

Karl

Guest Trefcon

Hoping for some advice on how to get a photo and/or an obituary notice for my grandfather's eldest brother, James Edward Meades. I believe he is the Meades listed as: Meades, J. Pte. Killed. Of 3 Higgett Road, Carbrook. 6/7/16 SDI. I have been on Ancestry and have found a Great War Honour Roll Listing for him. I also know he was buried at Sucrerie Cemetery in France. Any ideas? Thank you.

Jackie

Sent you a PM Jackie.

Dean.

hi deansgirl,just found this website .very interesting indeed.my grandfather was albert dodsworth 31169 cpl yorks and lancs.as far as i know he died at ypres.could you post a photo of him please.also could you tell me where vickers memorial is now sited.thank you .azz

These were sent to me from Canada, by a then unknown cousin of my husband. The Roll of honour was reportedly lost in the blitz, when the church at Spital Hill, Burngreave Road was destroyed.

Roll of Honour from Westbury Street / Cottingham Street.

Fred Mills No 52198 Staff Sgt HQ 27th Brigade RFA, killed in action 1 May 1917, Vimy Ridge. Original grave marker

new grave marker

Fred Mills

Guest Trefcon

Fantastic!!

Hi janem and welcome.

If i send you a personal message could you post me hi res copies to my email please ?

Which Church was it at at Spital Hill, the one that stood near the Vestry Hall ? Or the Burngreave Wesleyan Methodist one, across from St Catherines, this one was bombed. Or was it in fact Christ Church Attercliffe, this too was bombed. Just wondering wht the roll ended up at Pitsmoor ? I see a bit of Westbury street still remains, Cottingham street now under grass.

Born Sheffield

Enlisted Woolwich

Resided Sheffield

son of Fred and Agnes Mills

Husband of M.E.Else, of 18 Westbury street, Attercliffe

Landed in France 17/2/15

Victory, British War and 1915 Star

Fragments of his pre war service papers (enlisted 1904) survive on Ancestry.

This from Burngreave cemetery -

Dean.

If I could possibly ask another favour...

Gilbert. John William, Died. 3/3694 Pte. York & Lancs. 6/4 Hallcar Street.

There's a John William Gilbert in my family tree, but I don't know if it's the same one. He was born in 1888, known as Willie, married to Evelyn, was a steelworker, lived at 47 Danville Street in 1911. Beyond that, I don't know anything...

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Guest jwputtrell

Hi

Just found this forum and see my grandfather Cpl A Bookless RE and his two brothers Lieut Gordon Bookless Scottish Rifles and Lieut JH Bookless RNVR are listed. Would it be possible to see their pictures together with any other information you might have? Well done on all your splendid work

Jonathon Winter

Guest Trefcon

Hi Jonathon, i only have an image of James Harry Bookless, the others are in the Sheffield Daily Independent, all 3 are in the 11/5/15 edition, Gordon also appears in the 18/3/15 edition.

Here with James,

also the family headstone from City road Cemetery,

He died of wounds on board the Hospital Ship 'Dongola', and was buried at sea by the Rev. P.W. Clarkson.

Dean.

Guest jwputtrell

Hi Jonathon, i only have an image of James Harry Bookless, the others are in the Sheffield Daily Independent, all 3 are in the 11/5/15 edition, Gordon also appears in the 18/3/15 edition.

Here with James,

also the family headstone from City road Cemetery,

He died of wounds on board the Hospital Ship 'Dongola', and was buried at sea by the Rev. P.W. Clarkson.

Dean.

Thanks so much for that Dean. How do I go about accessing pictures from the Sheffield Daily Independant?

Best wishes

Jonathon

Guest Trefcon

Hi

The images are available at the Local Studies Library here in Sheffield, might be worth booking a viewer to avoid disapointment.

Regards

Dean

Guest central

Hi just found your forum and see you have a John lawrence Hobson on you list have you photo of him i hope its my grandfather its possible he played for shefield united in 1910

Guest Trefcon

Hello Central,

there is a family tree for him on Ancestry, the image below is from that tree

Dean.