Images of Sheffield's Great War Soldiers - Surnames A-L

dunsbyowl1867

Theres papers and medal index card on Ancestry lin46.

Get back to me if you need more help.

Dean.

Thanks someone has said he got a victory medal but the age of him doesnt add up to when he died they say when he joined up he was 29 and 1 month in 1915 but when he died he was 29 in 1918 would be good if there was a diary or something from this time would he have been on the war medals Honor list and what did he receive his medal for and when did he receive it he had 6 brothers and 1 sister i wonder if his brothers were in the army as well i dint know there date of births but only there names William James, Herbert, Fredrick Percy,Austin Francis Joseph Edward George graney.

Guest Trefcon

Hi lin46, is there a Sheffield angle to this ? As i only have stuff on Sheffield men, and only do any research on Sheffield men.

Here with his medal card anyway -

as you can see he was entitled to the British War, and Victory medals. He was entitled to the British medal because he was in overseas service between the dates 5/8/14 and 11/11/18. The Victory because he was in an 'operational area', ie in a theatre of war.

Again, his papers and the medal card are on Ancestry, there is a page listing his NoK.

All the info on his papers refer to him being born and bred and living at Codnor, Derby's.

Dean.

Hi lin46, is there a Sheffield angle to this ? As i only have stuff on Sheffield men, and only do any research on Sheffield men.

Here with his medal card anyway -

as you can see he was entitled to the British War, and Victory medals. He was entitled to the British medal because he was in overseas service between the dates 5/8/14 and 11/11/18. The Victory because he was in an 'operational area', ie in a theatre of war.

Again, his papers and the medal card are on Ancestry, there is a page listing his NoK.

All the info on his papers refer to him being born and bred and living at Codnor, Derby's.

Dean.

Thank you very much i have been to Ancestry and printed the papers off it tells me what medals he got and things left to his mother. He had 8 brothers and a sister i wondered if his brothers served in the war as well? i am doing a family tree on Graney which was my Granddads surname he was a Sheffield man but moved to Ashton u lyne were he married my Grandma he has passed away over 20 years now but all the family came from Sheffield my granddad lived in attercliffe his mother and father Robert and Annie she was bowler before she married lived and died in Sheffield but actually ran a boarding house and a chip shop in Blackpool its very interesting but i need to get some birth and marriage certificates but some are in Sheffield and some are in matlock Derbyshire ?

Thank you very much i have been to Ancestry and printed the papers off it tells me what medals he got and things left to his mother. He had 8 brothers and a sister i wondered if his brothers served in the war as well? i am doing a family tree on Graney which was my Granddads surname he was a Sheffield man but moved to Ashton u lyne were he married my Grandma he has passed away over 20 years now but all the family came from Sheffield my granddad lived in attercliffe his mother and father Robert and Annie she was bowler before she married lived and died in Sheffield but actually ran a boarding house and a chip shop in Blackpool its very interesting but i need to get some birth and marriage certificates but some are in Sheffield and some are in matlock Derbyshire ?

Hi lin46,

Ordering of birth/marriage & death Certificates can all be ordered online

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

you just need the index reference, try Free BMD, not complete yet

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

or Ancestry.co.uk they have the full indexes.

Guest Unitedite

Hi there,

I have been researching my family history for some time now and I have identified three separate WWI casualties, which I have detailed below.

James Midhurst Jordan

Birth: 29-12-1898 in 88, Martin Street, Nether Hallam, Ecclesall Bierlow, Derbyshire, [sheffield, Yorkshire - West Riding],

Death: 12-09-1918 in Flanders and France [No 53398; Private; Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry] Missing, presumed dead 12-09-1918

Parents are: Arthur Jordan 1865 – 1916 and Mary Ann Jordan [nee Dickinson] 1866 – 1942

John Henry Dannatt

Birth: 03-01-1896 in Woodhouse Mill, Sheffield, Yorkshire - West Riding

Death: 21-09-1917 in France and Flanders

Parents are: Thomas John Dannatt 1851 – 1927 and Mary Harriet Dannatt [nee Barlow] 1857 – 1926

George Allott

Birth: 07/08/1892 in Coisley Hill, Woodhouse, Sheffield, England

Death: 16-04-1918 in France and Flanders

Parents are: Walter Allott 1864 – 1941 and Sarah Potter 1868 – 1942

I have looked at your pinned list, which I must state is a most impressive piece of research to say the least, but I cannot see as to whether any of them were photographed.

The reason for this might well be down to the fact that these were quite "late" casualties when the "novelty" of publishing such images in newspapers had long passed.

As you can see, I have been able to assemble a reasonable amount of information about them already, but it seems that photographs likely to prove elusive.

However, if you do come across any photographs of them at any time during your researches, then I would be very interested to see them.

If you would like any of the information that I have gathered together in the meantime, please let me know.

Kind regards;

N

Hi

Sorry to be a pain, but how do I contact deansgirl. Hunted through member's list to no avail. I'm hoping to get a copy of

Fisher. Wilfred, HMS 'Superb'. Sheffield Independent War Album.

Hope y ou can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Marcelle

Please note : This message about Sheffield's Great War Soldiers is from Deansgirl, so if you are going to PM asking for images please send the request to Deansgirl and not to RichardB or Dunsbyowl

]Images of Sheffield's Great War SoldiersHere with a list of images I have of Sheffield men who died or served in the Great War.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Can you tell me how to contact deansgirl to arrange for a copy of the above photo

Appreciate your help.

Marcelle

Hi

Sorry to be a pain, but how do I contact deansgirl. Hunted through member's list to no avail. I'm hoping to get a copy of

Hope y ou can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Marcelle

Hi Marcelle,

the members name deansgirl (Dean) is now Trefcon.

Hello Trefcon Have just found this site looks brilliant .Would it please be possible to send me a copy of William Arthur Colley 82227 Gunner RFA of 12 Leigh St as this is my husbands Uncle who died on 28 June 1916 on the Somme and is buried at Bronfay Farm Military Cemetery.As his attestation papers were destroyed in the Blitz in WW11 we only have limited info on him.Would be most greatful for any info Many Thanks Skala

Guest Trefcon

For Unitedite,

Not much to add i'm afraid,

James Midhurst Jordan

MIC - Victory and British War medals.

SDGW - Born and enlisted Sheffield, KIA.

Name appears on the St Bartholomews roll of honour at Primrose View, Langsett Road.

George Allott

MIC - Victory, British and 15 Star. Landed France 27/8/15. KIA.

SDGW - Born Woodhouse, enlisted Sheffield. KIA.

Family headstone at Tinsley cemy -

Guest Trefcon

For Unitedite -

John Henry Dannett

MIC - Victory and British War medals, landed France 21/9/17.

SDGW - Born Woodhouse, enlisted and resided Chesterfield, died of wounds.

Cant find any papers for him, but there is a John Henry Dannett's papers that lived at 35 Albert Street, Chesterfield. He was discharged a week after attestation due to an hernia.

Is this your man, joining up later on ?

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

More for Skala,

just found this image as well.

His medal index card states he was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. He landed in France on 11/5/15.

He was born Monmouth, enlisting at Sheffield, he died of wounds.

Dean.

Guest lthursfield

Hi Trefcon

Am researching a relative, KRRC Rifleman Henry James "Harry" Thursfield from Sheffield who died aged 24 at High Wood on the Somme in 1916. As an employee of William Hutton & sons before enlisting (he was a spoon and fork filer in 1911), he appears on their great war memorial. He enlisted in the 11th battalion of the KRRC along with other employees (judging by the sequence of serial numbers) but is listed as serving in the 2nd battalion KRRC when he was killed.

Be most grateful for any information you or anyone else might have to aid with my research. I notice that you list Leonard Hattersley and Thomas Shaw on your list of photos. Both these names appear on the same William Hutton & Sons memorial in Sheffield as members of 11th battalion KRRC who perished in the Great War. Would it be possible to obtain photos of these individuals that might aid me on my further research of Harry Thursfield?

Best wishes,

Gordon Thursfield

Guest Trefcon

Gordon, if you get this would you PM me your email addy, iv'e tried replying to you but the machine is not working again!!

Dean.

Guest lthursfield

Gordon, if you get this would you PM me your email addy, iv'e tried replying to you but the machine is not working again!!

Dean.

Hi Dean

Have sent the PM ( i think?) with the email address.

Best wishes,

Gordon

Guest Unitedite

For Unitedite -

John Henry Dannett

MIC - Victory and British War medals, landed France 21/9/17.

SDGW - Born Woodhouse, enlisted and resided Chesterfield, died of wounds.

Cant find any papers for him, but wis a John Henry Dannett's papers that lived at 35 Albert Street, Chesterfield. He was discharged a week after attestation due to an hernia.

Is this your man, joining up later on ?

Dean.

Dean,

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to look into the history of these three soldiers.

I would have been somewhat surprised, [although delighted], had you been able to turn up any photographs of any of our WWI casualties, as I said before.

However, it was a least worth while my asking and I am still very grateful to you for your efforts.

John Henry Dannatt, was born in Woodhouse Mill on 03-01-1896. He was attested on Short Service [Number S7061] as a Private in the 1st Company Rifle Brigade [King's Royal Rifles] on 01-12-1914. His address on attestation was indeed 35, Albert Street, Stonegravels, Chesterfield. He as posted to Winchester on 05-12-1914 and discharged as being medically unfit on 07-12-1914. On leaving the army, he returned to Chesterfield and to his old job as a collier and he married a local girl, Nellie Jones on 04-07-1916.

He was obviously recalled to the colours at some point during the war, although none of the documentation relating to this second military service would appear to have survived.

However, a surviving medal index card states that he was subsequently posted to France on 21-06-1917.

We also know that by this time, he was residing at 17, Drivers Terrace, Canal Wharf, Chesterfield, Derbyshire and that he had [re]enlisted in Chesterfield, with the rank of Private; in the Royal Fusiliers [City of London Regiment]; Battalion: 32nd Battalion; Number: 66529.

He was wounded and "Died of Wounds" 21-09-1917. He is commemorated in the Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord, France.

The CWGC records state that he was the son of Thomas John Dannatt and Mary Harriet Dannatt [nee Barlow] of 35, Albert Street, Stonegravels, Chesterfield,

I hope that you find this interesting.

Kind regards;

N

More for Skala,

just found this image as well.

His medal index card states he was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. He landed in France on 11/5/15.

He was born Monmouth, enlisting at Sheffield, he died of wounds.

Dean.

Many many thanks for the images of William Arthur Colley and the information you sent.The first photo we already had and i think this may have been sent to you by my husbands cousin Gary Bond who we know is doing a project on the Great War soldiers.However the second one which looks as if it was from the local newspaper we did not have and were thrilled to receive.Strangely enough we have a photograph of William Arthur's Mother wearing a broach with an image in it of a soldier which we assumed was William Arthur.We had looked at it through a magnifying glass and it looks as if it is this very photo so you can imagine this means a great deal to us to see the original.Thank you once again for your prompt and very exciting reply all the family are very greatful.Best Wishes Skala

Hi Marcelle,

the members name deansgirl (Dean) is now Trefcon.

Hi there

Thank you for letting me know about the name change. Much appreciated.

Marcelle