The 1819 comment on the tunnel to the Manor

RichardB

Rev. Joseph Hunter's view from 1819 (his spelling, not mine)

--------------------

Of the foundation of the castle of Sheffield, of its inhabitants, and finally of its demoltion, everything has already been said. It remains therefore only to say, that so total has been the destruction of it, and so completely is its site occupied by modern buildings, that the only vestiges of it are some portions of what appear to have been ancient cellars of the castle, now belonging to the hotel.

It seems to have occupied the whole space between the Wain-gate, Dixon-Lane and the rivers : and to have had communication by a drawbridge with the orchards on the right bank of the Sheaf, where now is preparing the bason of the Sheffield canal.

The subterraneous conneion between this place and the Manour, a mile and a half distant, may be mentioned, to add one more to the instances of traditions so palpably absurd connected with ancient edifices

--------------------

So it seems the tunnel story was "absurd" even in 1819

Interesting - good post

It always strikes me that the site was a rubbish one for Sheffield's castle

Why not on the top of one of the hills (e.g. where the ski village is)

Surely that would have been grander and more successful ?

The water on two sides gave defense, the Castle was also on an incline, so only two sides to defend, or build a defesive wall; whilst Medievil ski-ing may have been popular, I guess the need for water to live on, drove that particular decision.

On that subject, I believe Parkwood Springs and the ridge along to Shirecliffe has never really been built on, maybe just too steep; I await any other thoughts on this...

Well I worked that one out, but where would they get drinking water from stuck on top of a large hill ?

If they were simply building for altitude, they would have built at Crookes, Mount Pisgah Road (excuse my spelling, there's a letter missing and I don't know where)

Is that the highest point in Sheffield ?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking for good vantage points for pictures and think it's unlikely I'll make it to the top of the university tower as I'm not a student

Supposedly, Mount Pisgagh (that looks a better spelling) is the highest point (you now have to tell me the reason for the street name obviously) ....

again I am willing to be corrected, but, from the dates we are talking about .... Biblical maybe ???

"Holy Sh*t this is a Way High Avenue, Dude", only dates back to early Eighties Comedy movies, Keanu Reeves, I believe ... maybe ...

probably made up .... :rolleyes: