The Triangle

Stuart0742

One of the favourite train spotting locations in the North of the city was Brightside Station, see topic about this.

In the south of the city was "The Triangle" an area of land between the lines from Dore & Totley Station to Bradway Tunnel and Totley Tunnel, these 2 lines were joined by Dore South Chord, therefore forming a triangle.

You can access the triangle from either Twentywell Ln or down through Poynton Woods.

In recent years heavey vegitation restriced the view of the railway, however some clearance took place late year.

View looking towards Dore Station

West Portal of Dore Tunnel (South Chord)

East Portal of Dore Tunnel

View from above the West Portal looking towards Dore West Junction

Onetime favourite photo Location, Chesterfield Line looking north towards Twentywell Ln Bridge

No Details known, sorry

The triangle is now used by local BMX bikers who have created themselves a circuit, sadly no longer a trainspotting location

Guest Gramps

The triangle is now used by local BMX bikers who have created themselves a circuit, sadly no longer a trainspotting location

Nothing changes much, we did the very same in the early 1950s, but our 'off-road' bikes then were strictly DIY contraptions :)

One of the attractions of the triangle was that there was a chance of seeing one of those Beyer-Garrett locos pulling a mile-long mineral train out of Hope - usually quite late in the evening.

Quite frequently referred to as 'The Cutting' and the freight trains were often held on the curve between Dore & Totley South and West Junctions awaiting a path. The distance between the junctions was 419 yards.

One of the favourite train spotting locations in the North of the city was Brightside Station, see topic about this.

In the south of the city was "The Triangle" an area of land between the lines from Dore & Totley Station to Bradway Tunnel and Totley Tunnel, these 2 lines were joined by Dore South Chord, therefore forming a triangle.

You can access the triangle from either Twentywell Ln or down through Poynton Woods.

In recent years heavey vegitation restriced the view of the railway, however some clearance took place late year.

View looking towards Dore Station

West Portal of Dore Tunnel (South Chord)

East Portal of Dore Tunnel

View from above the West Portal looking towards Dore West Junction

Onetime favourite photo Location, Chesterfield Line looking north towards Twentywell Ln Bridge

No Details known, sorry

Just up the road from the Triangle is Totley Tunnel East Signal Box

14/3/09

Guest bus man

I was trying to find out the name for the tunnel on the cutting I couldnt find it in the rail atlas or in Qual maps so I asked a firend who works for net work rail I now know what the official name is but does any one else ?

I was trying to find out the name for the tunnel on the cutting I couldnt find it in the rail atlas or in Qual maps so I asked a firend who works for net work rail I now know what the official name is but does any one else ?

I think it is Dore Tunnel

I used to spend many an evening down there in the mid eighties

Hi RichS

Welcome to the site, hope you find something of interest on here, sure you will.

The mid 80's that would the days of class 31's on the Manchester/Liverpool service, 1st generation DMU's on the Hope Valley service and still a good variety of loco hauled services on the Chesterfield line.

What are your memories of the triangle?

I mainly went down there on summer evenings after school and saw the Class 123 Intercity DMU's on the Manchester - Hull also 31's on the the Valley, Peaks on the London Run, also some 47s as well.

Saturdays were spend down at midland or about on travels.

20's & 40's to skeg

No heat 47's anyway

But a couple of times a year we did a week in devon & Cornwalls chasing my favorite of the time (this changed when i started working with them) class 50's

Guest bus man

I used dore station most evenings for spotting from around 1973 - 1976, does anyone remember the 08 which use to travel up the hope valley line onece amonth around 615pm it was going to earles it was a swop for refueling , never saw it going the other way