Sheffield Schools

Stuart0742

My wife went to Hurlfield Girls School on Hurlfield Road from 1959 to 1964. Her brother went to the Central Technical School on Gleadless Road from 1965 to 1968. I believe the following year these two schools merged to form Ashleigh School. Are there any ex-Hurlfield Girls out there?

Correct Mike,

Central Technical and Hurlfield Girls merged in September 1969 under the Education Committee's Comprehensive schools rearrangement plan as Ashleigh school (which I attended for 6th form from 1972 to 1974)

Hurlfield girls became Ashleigh lower school (higher up the hill but catered mainly for years 1 to 3 (Y7 to Y9) and was demolished in 1988 to build a small modern private housing development on the site.

Central technical became Ashleigh upper school (lower down the hill but mainly exam classes in years 4, 5 and 6th form (Y10, Y11 and post 16 education)

It remained open longer, eventually remerging with Hurlfield Boys school to become Myrtle Springs school, but it eventually succombed to the same fate as Hurlfield Girls in the 1990's when the only remaining school, the former Hurlfield boys school became Myrtle Springs until it also was demolished and rebuilt on the same site as the current Springs academy.

My mother went to Hurlfield School, but back in the 1940s when it was on Abbeydale Road next to Abbeydale School, as seen on Map 52.

A couple of questions, therefore: when did Hurlfield School move to the Hurlfield Road area, and why was it called Hurlfield School when it was on Abbeydale Road.

My mother went to Hurlfield School, but back in the 1940s when it was on Abbeydale Road next to Abbeydale School, as seen on Map 52.

A couple of questions, therefore: when did Hurlfield School move to the Hurlfield Road area, and why was it called Hurlfield School when it was on Abbeydale Road.

This answers your questions I think.

Guest Lizzyunderhill

Which schools are missing from this list

St John Fisher as mentioned by ShellyBarnes,

Carter Lodge

Birley

Anymore??

Well, I went to Heeley Bank School in Heeley, (which is where the Old Heeley Workshop is or was held)and then on to Henry Fanshawe which is in Dronfield. My brother went to Abbeydale Boys' Grammar and my mother went to Abbeydale Grange which at that time was just for girls.

I wonder if anyone has any old school photos taken around the time of 1930-1935? I once had access to a grainy photo containing who I think was my mother, but unfortunately the file is now corrupted and won't open.

She would have started there around 1931 I think.

I once had access to a grainy photo containing who I think was my mother, but unfortunately the file is now corrupted and won't open.

She would have started there around 1931 I think.

Hi Lizzy,

do you still have the corrupted file/photo ?

If so send me a PM (private message) and I will forward you my email address.

PS, Heeley Bank School has stood empty and unused for a few years now.

Anyone recognize themselves on this Chaucer school photograph?

I bet they do but they are not saying. B)

Must have been taken later than March 1959. I left at easter that year and I don't remember any of us wearing the school badge. W/E.

I bet they do but they are not saying. B)

Are you in this picture ukelele lady? :rolleyes:

Have a guess? B)

Yes I think you are on it, but as there isn't anyone holding a small 4 stringed Hawaiian instrument I am at a loss as to which one could be you. <_<

Binstead71 could be right, he seems to be fairly definate in his response.

Guest Nigel379

Had a bit of fun reading about the school's and members so I thought I should add my own dates:

Myers Grove - Nigel379 - 1971-77.

Alas there are always changes as Myers and Wisewood have now combined to form the Forge School on the site of the Old Myers Grove as of this September.

Also attached is a photo from 1946 St Stephens School. My father is seated front right as you look.

Just read through all this list very interesting, I would like to add Burngreave Boys Gordon 1955 That school is now known as Byron Junior School. Also All Saints Pitsmoor was a secondry school untill 1949 when all senior students, who would leave school at 14, were transferred to Burngreave Boys and Girls schools. The 2 photos are J1 and J2 1949 All Saints Pitsmoor.

Gordon Lawton

I've just found this old pic of Mr Newham's class of boys taken in July 1958, just after the school was opened but before the 'official' opening. The building in the background has now been demolished.

attachicon.gifChaucer_...uly_1958.jpg

pOP nEWHAM WAS a great teacher , he taught me at Parkside rd. 1957 .A group of us went to his house at Stannington after we had left to tell him how we were getting on in our respective jobs . his wife made us tea and biscuits fond memories

Guest David Hague

Does anyone rmember Deerlands School on Lindsay Road in Parson Cross. If you do i like to hear from you i went there in the 90s

I bet they do but they are not saying. cool.gif

attachicon.gifchaucer.jpg

The three lads in the middle -Dawson-Fieldhouse-Barraclough- back row 2nd from right Greenfield?

On 3/9/2009 at 06:33, Stuart0742 said:

Inspired by DaveH's topic about Norfolk School on Craddock Rd, there are quite few such topics on the site here is a index to known topics.

Start your own topic about your own school and add to this index

What School did you go to All Saints Lyons Street/Sutherland Road.

Burngreave Council School

Crookesmoor School

Firth Park Grammar School

Frecheville Comprehensive School

Newhall School, Paget St/Sanderson St, The Empire of Jerold Bronks!

Norfolk School

Sharrow Lane School

Wisewood School

If you want a link adding to this list just reply to this post.