Tapton - Wessie Mick - 1976

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Thornbridge - Phil Geary - 1966

Thornbridge - Smiffster - 1983

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Wybourn - Cads Kelly - 1969

Upto date list

I can't see Stuart's "yesterday 7.30 " post.

Can you see it now ukelele lady ?

Can you see it now ukelele lady ?

Yes that's very visual, but it's not down on the list as with many other

peoples letters on other threads. Not all peoples letters are being posted

to the list or is it just at my end? Has the posting format changed?

Yes that's very visual, but it's not down on the list as with many other

peoples letters on other threads. Not all peoples letters are being posted

to the list or is it just at my end? Has the posting format changed?

UL

What number post is this I think it is 128

Stuart

You seem to have lost 24 posts, scratchy head time <_<

Well, thats the post office for you, and I bet they had a first class stamp on as well! :angry:

I still haven't got my letter from the doctors which was posted on 2nd September, nearly 3 weeks ago! :o

If the wife hadn't phoned them up in dispair I could have been dead by now :blink:

And I bet they go on strike before much longer <_<

Guest Donnalouise

Inspired by DaveH's topic about Norfolk School on Craddock Rd, there are quite few such topics on the site here is a index to known topics.

Start your own topic about your own school and add to this index

Burngreave Council School

Crookesmoor School

Firth Park Grammar School

Frecheville Comprehensive School

Newhall School, Paget St/Sanderson St, The Empire of Jerold Bronks!

Norfolk School

Sharrow Lane School

Wisewood School

If you want a link adding to this list just reply to this post.

can anyone remember ParkHill School I think I left in bout 79/80

can anyone remember ParkHill School I think I left in bout 79/80

Hi Donnalouise, welcome to the site, I am sure somebody will remember Parkhill School.

Have you seen our Parkhill topic

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;hl=parkhill

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=46437

Did you go to Norfolk School after Parkhill, there is a very active topic about Norfolk School stated by DaveH our Norfolk School expert, both Dave and myself are ex Norfolk Students (not called pupils anymore lol )

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=32766

Guest Donnalouise

Thanx u il check it out, i didnt go to Norfolk as i moved out of the area if i had`nt moved id av gone to Hurfield

[(sorry if spelt wrong) as my older brother an sister went there.

Hi Donnalouise, welcome to the site, I am sure somebody will remember Parkhill School.

Have you seen our Parkhill topic

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;hl=parkhill

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=46437

Did you go to Norfolk School after Parkhill, there is a very active topic about Norfolk School stated by DaveH our Norfolk School expert, both Dave and myself are ex Norfolk Students (not called pupils anymore lol )

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=32766

Thanx u il check it out, i didnt go to Norfolk as i moved out of the area if i had`nt moved id av gone to Hurfield

[(sorry if spelt wrong) as my older brother an sister went there.

Hurlfield (correct spelling)

Oh dear, - our old rivals.

Many a fight was fought between us in Northern Avenue shopping centre.

However, -

1)

We did get to use the Hurlfield School swimming pool as we didn't have one and it was a long treck by bus down to Park Hill baths.

2)

Later ended up doing my first teaching practice there

3)

After school got to know some ex students of Hurlfield really well and became good friends. Also got to know a couple of the staff which helps when you're training to be a teacher.

Guest binsted71

I left Chaucer at Easter aged 15. It was just a few weeks after the school had been officially opened by the lord mayor. Mr Newham the deputy head was my teacher then. My year of birth was 80 years after the Great Sheffield Flood.

I've just found this old pic of Mr Newham's class of boys taken in July 1958, just after the school was opened but before the 'official' opening. The building in the background has now been demolished.

I've just found this old pic of Mr Newham's class of boys taken in July 1958, just after the school was opened but before the 'official' opening. The building in the background has now been demolished.

Here's another one taken in the same year I believe. I'm not on it, these are much much much

older than me. lol

Guest binsted71

Here's another one taken in the same year I believe. I'm not on it, these are much much much

older than me. lol

I too have this photograph somewhere and I guess you aren't on this one but could be on the other one?

older than me. lol

Lucky you u/lady. All just a year older than me. I can only put names to 3 faces, all ex Hillfoot and P W S lads. Top centre Michael Oates, next but one to the right is Peter Devoto and next to him on the end is John Kyte. W/E.

Lucky you u/lady. All just a year older than me. I can only put names to 3 faces, all ex Hillfoot and P W S lads. Top centre Michael Oates, next but one to the right is Peter Devoto and next to him on the end is John Kyte. W/E.

Would that be Michael Oades W/E seem to just remember the face and could that be David Knowles next to him on the left, very hazy on these.

Would that be Michael Oades W/E seem to just remember the face and could that be David Knowles next to him on the left, very hazy on these.

Yes I think you are right neddy it could be Oades, here he is again top row 4th from the left with the late Fred Pass to his right. W/E. Thankyou to `Weerz me mam ?`

Yes I think you are right neddy it could be Oades, here he is again top row 4th from the left with the late Fred Pass to his right. W/E. Thankyou to `Weerz me mam ?`

I remember the teacher Harry Dowson , he went up to Chaucer too.

I left Hillfoot easter 1958, does anybody remember miss Hamerton ? What a doll !

My favourite teachers mr Johnson and harry dowson. Most of the rest were homicidal. Headmaster mr Simmons number one. Does anyone remember him being knocked off his cycle by the mother of a pupil ? He had overdone it with the cane as usual. He broke his arm. So sad. he he

GRUMPY.

I LEFT HILLFOOT EASTER 1958, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER MISS HAMERTON ? WHAT A DOLL !

MY FAVOURITE TEACHERS MR JOHNSON AND HARRY DOWSON. MOST OF THE REST WERE HOMICIDAL. HEADMASTER MR SIMMONS NUMBER ONE. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER HIM BEING KNOCKED OFF HIS CYCLE BY THE MOTHER OF A PUPIL ? HE HAD OVERDONE IT WITH THE CANE AS USUAL. HE BROKE HIS ARM. SO SAD. he he

GRUMPY.

Hi Grumpy, welcome to the site, have you seen our topic on Parkwood springs, should be of interest to you.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=14689

Top Tip,please don't use all capitals in your posts, :) thanks Stuart

BRADFIELD SCHOOL late 50's

Never went to Bradfield school but like now schools had coaches to pick up and take the school kids home. My late father and my uncle use to do this job for my grandfather who had Whiteleys Coaches. There job was to pick up and deliver the school kids from Bradfield school from Dam Flask and the Strines area.

One Christmas in order we had heavy snow and in order that they could check the route to pick the kids up on the return to school after the Christmas break we went out in my grandfathers Vauxhall Cresta to do the ru over the weekend. everything was clear goimg out of Low Bradfield. As we went up the hill they use to go across an escarpment (which is now badley overgrown now and you wouldn't get a coach across) that was impassable because of the snow. So we went up to a junction and turned left at the top(road clear). About 100yds down the road we hit a snow drift which emersed the car. My father and uncle got out to try and get some help as they knew one of the school kids lived at the next farm down the road. Meanwhile I was in the white tomb being shoved sideways by the drift (about 8 yrs at the time very frightened. After what seemed an age the came back with the lad driving the tractor and pulled the car out of the drift and we went on our way. Needless to say they didn't pick the kids up for school that week.

A sad side to this story was that the lad commited suicide shortly after and I never knew his name. Would love to make contact with any of the school. kids they use to pick up

Guest Alan Dennis

Nether Edge Grammar 1939 - 1945.

Anyone still around? Headmaster Mr. Smith. Renowned English master, L. Buchan. Absolute swine, but a good teacher.

Me? I am Alan Biggin, living then in Bocking Lane. Remarkably, still alive.

My cycling pal was Pete Warren, of (then) Westwick Road.

BRADFIELD SCHOOL late 50's

Never went to Bradfield school but like now schools had coaches to pick up and take the school kids home. My late father and my uncle use to do this job for my grandfather who had Whiteleys Coaches. There job was to pick up and deliver the school kids from Bradfield school from Dam Flask and the Strines area.

One Christmas in order we had heavy snow and in order that they could check the route to pick the kids up on the return to school after the Christmas break we went out in my grandfathers Vauxhall Cresta to do the ru over the weekend. everything was clear goimg out of Low Bradfield. As we went up the hill they use to go across an escarpment (which is now badley overgrown now and you wouldn't get a coach across) that was impassable because of the snow. So we went up to a junction and turned left at the top(road clear). About 100yds down the road we hit a snow drift which emersed the car. My father and uncle got out to try and get some help as they knew one of the school kids lived at the next farm down the road. Meanwhile I was in the white tomb being shoved sideways by the drift (about 8 yrs at the time very frightened. After what seemed an age the came back with the lad driving the tractor and pulled the car out of the drift and we went on our way. Needless to say they didn't pick the kids up for school that week.

A sad side to this story was that the lad commited suicide shortly after and I never knew his name. Would love to make contact with any of the school. kids they use to pick up

Here's a picture of the whole of Bradfield school taken in about 1950-51

I left Hillfoot easter 1958, does anybody remember miss Hamerton ? What a doll !

My favourite teachers mr Johnson and harry dowson. Most of the rest were homicidal. Headmaster mr Simmons number one. Does anyone remember him being knocked off his cycle by the mother of a pupil ? He had overdone it with the cane as usual. He broke his arm. So sad. he he

GRUMPY.

We had the pleasure of Miss Hamerton [later Mrs Livingstone] for a whole year, sheer bliss ! W/E.

My wife went to Hurlfield Girls School on Hurlfield Road from 1959 to 1964. Her brother went to the Central Technical School on Gleadless Road from 1965 to 1968. I believe the following year these two schools merged to form Ashleigh School. Are there any ex-Hurlfield Girls out there?