Sheffield Schools

Stuart0742

Guest SheffBlade

Not quite what I had in mind Stuart, but what an interesting list.

I didn't realise we had a member from our rival school Hurlfield (having apologised somewhere on the site for never taking any pictures of it before it went)

So far then, with 5 named members our old school seems to have the most SH members listed, - so there's a sporting challenge to the other schools, - can you beat Norfolk at most members on this site? There are some very good, very popular and very big (student number wise) schools in Sheffield so this one is open to anyone and of course its the school that wins, so for once its a team game! get all your old school mates to sign up to Sheffield History and put a post in the "which school did you go to?" thread to start them posting!

I also went to Norfolk though only for 2 years as it closed down while I was there :(

'90 - '92 (ish)

Guest SheffBlade

The reason for Stuart0742's request for other schools in Sheffield is that we are trying to put together a schools list but this is proving more difficult than we first thought as many schools have closed, new ones taken their place and older ones which have remained open have changed their names, in some cases several times. For example,

Hurlfield Boys School,

Hurlfield Comprehensive,

Myrtle Springs

Springs Academy.

How many different names has your school gone under in its history?

Yes Myrtle is now Springs Academy. Same site but brand new building and school

Waltheof is also now Park Academy

I also went to Norfolk though only for 2 years as it closed down while I was there :(

'90 - '92 (ish)

OK Stuart0742, note this one when you update the list in the earlier post.

SheffBlade will take Norfolk School up to 7 members which means that our school is winning the little schools contest I started earlier.

Obviously I can't repeat that modified school motto that got some of us in to trouble at an inter schools football match in 1967 - 8 in a public site like this, but it was something like

"No **** with Norfolk"

(fit in your own nearly rhyming word)

Reminds me of Bernard Matthews first advertising slogan for his turkeys before he came up with "They're Bootiful" It was -

"Norfolk and good"

Guest paul h

Hi didnt go to this school but topic was originally places now gone, Another school is st John fishers ( hope I spelt it Correct )It is now a fire training centre, dont know what year it closed but it is over 15 yrs I think . I also have a photo of the school not a good one as I was far away in my album. Can take a better photo if anyone would like.

Michele

Hi I went to St John Fishers from 1965 to 1967 I believe we were either the first or second year to use the school. After St John Fishers I went to The Central Tech at Gleedless, yet another one to bite the dust.

Hi I went to St John Fishers from 1965 to 1967 I believe we were either the first or second year to use the school. After St John Fishers I went to The Central Tech at Gleedless, yet another one to bite the dust.

Got any dates on the Central technical at Gleadless. I went there for 6th form when it was Ashleigh 1972 to 74, but one of my junior school mates who passed his 11-plus went there from 1967 -72.

Guest paul h

Got any dates on the Central technical at Gleadless. I went there for 6th form when it was Ashleigh 1972 to 74, but one of my junior school mates who passed his 11-plus went there from 1967 -72.

Hi Dave

What dates are you looking for?

I think you will find your school mate passed his 13+ to go to the CT (it was called the school for the second chances),

I was born in 54 so at 13 the year would be 67 I was in the 6th form for six months (I left at xmas to start at Firth-Browns) That was 1971, I guess.

Form teacher was Mr (desperate Dan) Jarvis

Hi Dave

What dates are you looking for?

I think you will find your school mate passed his 13+ to go to the CT (it was called the school for the second chances),

I was born in 54 so at 13 the year would be 67 I was in the 6th form for six months (I left at xmas to start at Firth-Browns) That was 1971, I guess.

Form teacher was Mr (desperate Dan) Jarvis

No it was his 11 plus, he went there straight from junior school in 1967.

For sixth form only I was there from 1972 to 1974 so missed you by a year.

Did A levels in Maths Physics and Chemistry

Maths teacher and Form tutor

Mr. Newsum

Physics Teachers

Mr. Groarke

Mr. Harrington

Chemistry Teachers

Dr. Richardson

Mr. Pemberton

Any of these sound familiar?

When I am running short of stuff for the Norfolk School thread I will try to start one for Ashleigh. I have already posted some pictures and information about it in the "Those Gleadless Pictures" thread.

Guest paul h

Hi Dave

Beg to differ the youngest year was 13 at CT

yes Groarke & Newsum ring bells

But the stars of the show were:

Mr Knight (spike): History teacher - Once offered Ian Sen out first and then the rest of the school after

Mr Ken Wosterholme- Metalwork teacher & ex-boxer good guy - once fought Spike at 4 o clock on the school playing field with the school out to watch

Mr Sam: metal work teacher- deaf as a post but very good with metal, if you upset him he would send you to see -

Mr Walker: Maths head - be afraid this guy was the BOSS at CT

Mr Crisp: Bricklaying teacher

The Ian Sen I refer to was at that time "cock of the school" his father was the landlord of The Cutlers at Gleadless town end.

Guest Gramps

I'd like to add the Boy's Charity School. This school was built in 1706, rebuilt to house more students in 1826, and existed (I think) until about 1911 when it either became the Bluecoat School, or it was superceded by it. I'd love to find out more about the school, as my great great grand uncle is there in the 1901 census.

Here's a little about it...

http://www.villagepublications.co.uk/bradw...istorywin00.htm

And a scathing anecdote from Robert Leader.

"FROM what has been said in previous chapters as to the social condition of Sheffield, it will easily be understood that, in the eighteenth century, the tone of the town intellectually was low, while any signs of culture and refinement were rare. That part of the community which affected anything of the cultivation and graces of " Society" was small and narrow. The chief "function" in which it asserted itself was the Assemblies, held in their earlier days in two rooms of the Boys' Charity School, where, Mr. Hunter tells us, "the company enjoyed conversation, or the mazy dance, by light not of wax, which beamed from sconces of tin." It was not the tallow candles that shocked the feelings of the benevolent Samuel Roberts,* but the fact that the master of the school farmed the children and made his profit out of famishing them, pocketing everything he could save from the sixteen pence per head per week allowed for their maintenance. And it was further to enlarge his income that this worthy was allowed to hire out the rooms in which the boys ought to have slept, for the dancing and card assemblies. That it was possihle for the beauty and fashion of Sheffield to disport itself to the detriment of young lives, gives us a vivid insight into the callous state of public feeling—but perhaps it may be charitably ascrilbed rather to want of thought than to lack of heart. The scandal was stopped in 1762, when the subscribers erected for themselves the Assembly Rooms at the corner of Norfolk Street and Arundel Street" :)

Hi Dave

Beg to differ the youngest year was 13 at CT

yes Groarke & Newsum ring bells

But the stars of the show were:

Mr Knight (spike): History teacher - Once offered Ian Sen out first and then the rest of the school after

Mr Ken Wosterholme- Metalwork teacher & ex-boxer good guy - once fought Spike at 4 o clock on the school playing field with the school out to watch

Mr Sam: metal work teacher- deaf as a post but very good with metal, if you upset him he would send you to see -

Mr Walker: Maths head - be afraid this guy was the BOSS at CT

Mr Crisp: Bricklaying teacher

The Ian Sen I refer to was at that time "cock of the school" his father was the landlord of The Cutlers at Gleadless town end.

I am the same age as Dave and his junior school mate, I took my 11 plus (Failed :( ), so if a lad at Arbourthorne Nth takes his 11 plus in 1967 and goes to a grammar school it that area, which school would he have gone to.

Also if pupils started at Central Tech at 13 where did they go to before then?

I can remember the 11 plus in Sheffield but not the 13 plus, did students (pupils) get second chance at 13. If they did it was before my time.

Any further info appreciated

I am the same age as Dave and his junior school mate, I took my 11 plus (Failed :( ), so if a lad at Arbourthorne Nth takes his 11 plus in 1967 and goes to a grammar school it that area, which school would he have gone to.

I can remember the 11 plus in Sheffield but not the 13 plus, did students (pupils) get second chance at 13. If they did it was before my time.

Having failed the 11 plus at Hillfoot County School, myself and four other lads [including the future football referee K H] went on to take the Central Tech exam when we were all 12/13. As far as I can remember 4 passed and one failed [me]. The only second chance you got was for the Central Tech, and if you failed that you could take it again.

Having failed the 11 plus at Hillfoot County School, myself and four other lads [including the future football referee K H] went on to take the Central Tech exam when we were all 12/13. As far as I can remember 4 passed and one failed [me]. The only second chance you got was for the Central Tech, and if you failed that you could take it again.

When did this 13+ entry into Central Tech finish, was there still the 11+ option. I am sure in 1968/69 it was not available

When did this 13+ entry into Central Tech finish, was there still the 11+ option. I am sure in 1968/69 it was not available

It would be 1956/57 when we took the exam. No idea when the Tec closed, but as far as I can remember it was still open in the mid 60`s.

It would be 1956/57 when we took the exam. No idea when the Tec closed, but as far as I can remember it was still open in the mid 60`s.

What I am unsure of is when the 13+ finished

Hmmm....

I seem to have started a new line of enquiry here into something I had totally forgotten about, the 13+

Only 2 students from Arbourthorne North Junior School passed the 11+ in 1967, the last year the exam was taken. In 1966 it had been compulsory and in 1968 it had been abolished in Sheffield. In 1967 it was optional which probably explains the low pass rate that year. I personally opted not to take the 11+.

The 2 successful students were both friends of mine called Steven and they could opt which "grammar school" to go to if they passed. One of them went to Concorde Park (seems a long way to go from the Arbourthorne, but it was his choice) and the other to Central Technical School on Gleadless Road.

In September 1969 Sheffield secondary schools went Comprehensive, for Central Technical school this meant a merger with Hurlfield Girls School on Hurlfield Road, a school with which they shared a communal field and a renaming of both schools as "Ashleigh". It also meant that the Hurlfield Boys School on East Bank Road changed to a mixed sex intake of students and became comprehensive under the name of "Hurlfield".

I suspect that with 1967 being the last year of the 11+ and knowing that all schools would be comprehensive by 1969 any age related entry requirements were changed at that time to "normalise" them into a comprehensive 11-16 (or 11-18 with a sixth form) so that all schools from 1969 would operate the same system. This would also render any 13+ exam redundant and so would probably have been scrapped at the same time (1967 -9).

As Stuart0742 the 13+ "second chance" is something we have heard of but was never offered to us (we would have been 13 in 1969 as it happens), but the way we developed educationally after moving from junior to secondary school I am sure we could have both easily passed at 13 and taken our "second chance". as it turned out, thanks to the comprehensive system we both did very well and in the longer term didn't lose out all by not passing the 11+

I remember meeting my junior school mate in August 1972 after leaving Norfolk with a batch of good CSE and O level passes and telling him "I'll be coming to join you at Ashleigh for the sixth form in September" his reply was "No you won't, I'm leaving school and looking for a job". it turned out that his O level results were not that good!

Secondary School - Member - Period / Year Left

Abbeydale Grange - Plain Talker - 1978

Ashleigh School - DaveH - 1974

Birkdale - RichardS - 1991

Bradfield - Zeb - 1983

Brooke - Hutch - 1967

Brooke - Knightstemplar - 1983

Burngreave Girls - Lynn.55 - 1969

Central Tech - PaulH - 1967 .> 1970

Chaucer - Waterside Echo - 1959

Chaucer - RichardB - 1980

Chaucer - PGMetcalf - 1983

Chaucer - Ukelele Lady - ????

City - Linzi - 1991

City Grammar - Lyn 1 - 1957

Colley - Dewtily Dave - 1960

Colley - Dunsbyowl - 1981

De La Salle - Gasman - 1958

De La Salle - Dex - 1972

De La Salle - Poppychristina - 1960??

Earl Marshal - Eightbelow - 1983

Ecclesfield Grammar - Buxtongent - 1958

Firth Park Grammar - Bayleaf - 1964

Firth Park Grammar - MickJJ - 1972

Firth Park Grammar - Davecanning - 1972

Frecheville Comp - Draco - 1983

Frecheville Comp - Stalborg - 1983

Gleadless Valley - Markbaby - 1976

Hatfield House - Syruo - 1963

Hatfield House - Bemerchez - 1969

High Storrs - Plain Talker - 1980

Hinde House - Johnm - 1960

Hinde House - Texxuk - 1969

Hurlfield Boys - PDB215 - 1966

King Ecgbert - Ellesse - 1962

King Ecgbert - Chris Akabusi - 2003

King Edward VII - Huthwaite - 1977

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - Stuart0742 - 1972

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - SheffBlade - 1990 > 1992

Norfolk - ShellyBarnes - 1976

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Norfolk - Wayneybabes - 1990

Notre Dame - Tommo - 1959

Sir John Fisher - Paulh- 1965 > 1967

Tapton - Wessie Mick - 1976

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Thornbridge - Smiffster - 1983

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Wybourn - Cads Kelly - 1969

Upto date list

Bradfield - Zeb - 1983

Brooke - Hutch - 1967

City - Linzi - 1991

De La Salle - Dex - 1972

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Upto date list

I went to Notre Dame 1965-1970

Yes Myrtle is now Springs Academy. Same site but brand new building and school

By moving the entrance it has also changed its post code from S2 to S12

Bradfield - Zeb - 1983

Brooke - Hutch - 1967

City - Linzi - 1991

De La Salle - Dex - 1972

Norfolk - Davekowl - 1963

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Notre Dame - xfox3x - 1970

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Upto date list

OK so 8 of us went to Norfolk.

That has already got its own thread and has generated over 140 posts to date.

Some of these other schools in the list have at least 2 members and thats all it takes to start to start a thread about their schools, - or even one member with a bit of research done about their former school.

Every school will have a history to tell, changes over the years, well known staff characters, famous "old boys", sporting achievements, - all sorts of stuff.

We would love to hear about YOUR school rather than just our own all the time.

OK so 8 of us went to Norfolk.

Make that 8 into 9

It appears that one of our new members, pidd, is also a Norfolk old boy!

Guest alan1927

Taken from the topic "What School did you go to" here is a list of Secondary Schools and associated members. This could be the start of your list DaveH

Secondary School - Member - Year Left

Bradfield - Zeb - 1983

Brooke - Hutch - 1967

City - Linzi - 1991

De La Salle - Dex - 1972

Norfolk - SteveHB - 1970

Norfolk - DaveH - 1972

Norfolk - Shely - 1979

Tapton - Pete61 - 1978

Thornbridge - Vox - 1964

Wisewood - mrsc - 1983

Any additions, errors or comments post here

[quote name='Waterside

I left Chaucer at Easter aged 15. It was just a few weeks after the school had been officially opened by the lord mayor. Mr Newham the deputy head was my teacher then. My year of birth was 80 years after the Great Sheffield Flood.

Hi Waterside

I went to a Chaucer school reunion a few years ago and through this an old school friend sent me some

pictures through the post. these were taken in the first few months of the school opening.

Some I've given away to the people who are on them but these two I've kept because there's people on them

I know who were the same age as my older sisters and they were also neighbours.

Now for the tricky bit, are you on them? you can PM me if you don't want your cover to be blown. he he