Vulcan Inn

Stuart0742

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 15.06.19.jpg

The Vulcan Inn on the corner of Sussex Street and Sussex Road

Vulcan_2.jpg

Not sure when the Vulcan closed but it looks like Stephen Bake was there until the end

Added to main entry

Not sure when the Vulcan closed but it looks like Stephen Bake was there until the end

The other Vulcan boozer, more familiar to us, on Northern Avenue opposite the top of Cradock Road, is also now closed. Don't know if I've got any pictures though.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 15.06.19.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 15.10.06.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 15.10.54.jpg

Here's how it looks at the time of writing. The Vulcan Inn is currently Vulcan Studios a band rehearsal space

• Like 1

Guest leksand
On 07/03/2009 at 16:58, Stuart0742 said:

I'd assumed that too & it would be fitting. An old pub with a long-term licensee (he took on the licence in 1946 and saw it through 1968 at least), in an area stripped of it's historic trade, shut up when he decided to throw in the towel. It could easily be, and probably is, the case.

However, recently I noticed a picture of the Corner Pin, Atlas, dated 2008, with a similar kind of pane above the door. The problem here is that the person there stated, Henry Dawtry, ceased to be licensee of the premises at the very start of 1965. Not only that but the detail indicated that they were operating under a beer licence! (It became a pub late in 1964).

Point being, perhaps when they were renovating the Vulcan, there were layers to be peeled away and Stephen Bake's pane was what they finally hit. That said, you'ld think there would still be a few people around who could confirm one way or t'other.