Gravestones laid flat on Church Street and Campo Lane

RichardB

OK, one isn't a photo, but, bonus, the other one is ....

I'd been told the old stones outside the Cathedral were old gravestones, now, sadly the inscriptions won away. But I never knew that they were originally laid down flat, as per the following pictures

Well, they did always say Campo Lane was very narrow ! Seems they "stole" a bit off the back of the Churchyard, then "stole" a bit off the front as well. Caused a bit of a stir - I'm sure the kids used to sing a rhyme about it, going up the Broomhall or somewhere to abuse Rev Wilkinson ...

Picture Sheffield link : http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s02186

Trying again with the second picture ...

Picture from Illustrated Guide to Sheffield - Pawson and Brailsford

less graves on that one

So the place must have got busier and busier and ended up with them squishing the poor deceased together

less graves on that one

So the place must have got busier and busier and ended up with them squishing the poor deceased together

The second "picture" is much earlier, I think its from Pawson's and Brailsfords Illustrated Guide to Sheffield (1862) - notice the military figures walking around the place, may help to date the picture, but, I will check the book.

The Campo Lane one, is much later, just how cramped the place was is incredible.

I've blown the first picture up because it's currently my favourite ever picture posted on the site

I absolutely love it

Picture courtesy of Picture Sheffield

So what was the pub in the immediate right of picture ?

Campo Lane from White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham, 1901. I think the 1st road off to the RIGHT is Paradise Street. I reckon it's number 26. The building is between North Church Street and Paradise Street.

Regards,

Andy

According to the 1901 census, Thomas Hitchen and wife Alice Mary live at no 26 Campo Lane, he being a Licensed Victualler. No Pub name though!

Regards,

andyc

No 26 Campo Lane is The Ball. From White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham, 1905. Landlord is Thomas Hitchen

Regards,

andyc

Please review this photo, from PictureSheffield ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16818&pos=1&action=zoom&id=19506

This makes me think the house numbers are lower than those already stated (read the descriptions); also the Elevated view can only have been taken from the top of the Blue Coat Charity school building. Blah, blah, drone, drone, I think the pub is the East Parade Hotel ....

Guest tsavo

Campo Lane from White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham, 1901. I think the 1st road off to the RIGHT is Paradise Street. I reckon it's number 26. The building is between North Church Street and Paradise Street.

Regards,

Andy

Andy, do you have the page above for Heavygate Rd? Was born on there and would love to see it if possible.

Thanks, (hopefully)

Hello tsavo,

Is it the Street listing for Heavygate Road you want 1901?

Thats a coincidence... I'm about 50 yards from Heavygate Road and can see the Street while I'm sat here typing.

Regards,

Andy

Guest tsavo

I was born at 208. Depending how old you are, you may remember three cottages opposite the bus station. They were demolished some years ago. Later moved to Aldred Rd.

Re: The Pub: I was wondering about the odd and even number sides myself. Numbers usually start lowest numbers nearest the Town Hall. My logic here is the road breaks (in italics). The building numbers are working up between North Church Street (not visible on the photo) and Paradise Street which we can see. I thought a road break was only inserted on the side of the street the side road was on. I'll try and find out cos it's got me thinking now.

Regards,

andyc

Guest tsavo

Thanks for the list, Andy. They made a bit of a bodge with the listings, 208 was just past the top of Greenhow Street, towards Highton Street. It was the only yard with it's original railings from the pre war period. Due to it's closness to the main road, we children had to be protected from the traffic!

George Herbert Sayles at no 163 Heavygate Road is my great great uncle (think I've got that correct). He worked in his mothers shop, my great great great grandmother Emma Sayles (nee Morton). She had a shop at no1 Grouse Street as late as 1911, then aged 73, and may well have run the shop until her death in 1918. Small world.

Regards,

andyc

and then I lived on Greenhow Street, from 1977 till I left Sheffield in 1981, third house down from the junction with Camm Street (now that was a GREAT chip shop, at the far end of Camm Street), number 54 Greenhow Street

According to the 1901 census, Thomas Hitchen and wife Alice Mary live at no 26 Campo Lane, he being a Licensed Victualler. No Pub name though!

Regards,

andyc

Thomas Hitchen had the Golden Ball 1871 moved to the Grey horse Blast Lane 1881 (later became Stoke Street) 1891,

Didn't have his address 1901, so thank you, can you see a Alice aged about 12 with the family,cant read her name in the 1891.

Hello Neddy,

Complete household at 26 Campo Lane 1901 Census.

Thomas Hitchen aged 56, Head of house, married, licensed victualler, born Yorkshire Sheffield.

Alice Mary Hitchen aged 39, wife, married, born (looks like) Salop(?) Donnington Wood (difficult to read).

Ada Fry, aged 20, servant, single, general domestic servant, born Yorkshire Sheffield.

No others, but Alice could have been elsewhere on the night of the census.

If you want a copy, PM me an email address. I can't post it here because of copyright.

Regards,

Andy

Hello Neddy,

Complete household at 26 Campo Lane 1901 Census.

Thomas Hitchen aged 56, Head of house, married, licensed victualler, born Yorkshire Sheffield.

Alice Mary Hitchen aged 39, wife, married, born (looks like) Salop(?) Donnington Wood (difficult to read).

Ada Fry, aged 20, servant, single, general domestic servant, born Yorkshire Sheffield.

No others, but Alice could have been elsewhere on the night of the census.

If you want a copy, PM me an email address. I can't post it here because of copyright.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks for that, 1891 has an adopted dau Alice ???? age 2 will have to look elswhere for her.

Guest tsavo

Thanks for that, 1891 has an adopted dau Alice ???? age 2 will have to look elswhere for her.

Salop used to be the abbreviation for Shropshire. Doesn't help much but .....

Hello tsavo,

Looks like Alice Maud Sexton aged 2, adopted daughter, on the 1891 census, born Clown (Clowne?), Derbyshire.

I can't find an exact match for her 1901, but there is an Alice Saxton, down as 12 year old niece to head of house John Saxton at Long Eaton, Derbyshire. Her place of birth states Derbyshire. There's also another niece listed. A 21 year old Annie Parkin born Ripley, Derbyshire. Dunno if this helps.

Regards,

Andy