Jump to content

St Clement's Church, Newhall

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Recommended Posts

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Anyone with a touch of nostalgia for the Newhall district will find this interesting.


By George Long

Price: One Shilling.


I am glad to be asked by George Long to write a preface to his farewell History of St. Clements, Newhall. I must first congratulate him on the hard work he has put into the book. He has succeeded in giving an account, which makes the parish live in the minds of readers.

Val Maynard Smith spoke for all of us outsiders who have had any opportunity to try to help in Newhall. We have the deepest admiration for those who have lived so courageously and cheerfully in what must be one of the outwardly most depressing neighbourhoods in England. We admire too, of course, and yet more the few who worked so hard to keep St. Clement`s going with so much against them.

I sympathise with the disappointment felt when it was closed. Nobody wanted this to happen. Apart from anything else, St. Clement`s is the best Church Building in Sheffield 9. Yet the parishioners must take some of the blame the tiny congregations hastened the decision.

Bits of St. Clements, though not the building, will continue elsewhere. The War Memorial East Window is to be flown to Canberra, Australia, to fill a similar position in the Church of All Saints. The communion plate is to be used in a new St. Clements to be built in the new housing estate in the Gleadless area. The pews are going to the rebuilt St. Mark’s, Broomhill.

We of the Attercliffe Parishes welcome those who live in Newhall into our very large Parish. They will be one of us, without distinction, having a full claim on our pastoral care and an equal share of the time of we clergy. Our churches are their churches and they are members of our large Attercliffe family.


Vicar of Attercliffe with Carbroook.

(Panel showing lists of Priests, etc, has been photocopied from original and is show separately on a later posting)




During the past years of redevelopment in Newhall, a certain amount of anxiety and concern for the future of the small band of loyal workers has experienced St. Clements: closely associated with the Church. The news that the Church and the Church Hall were to close down at the end of July 1961, and the Parish of Newhall transferred to the Attercliffe Parishes, was received with deep regret.

The Church Council held special meetings; it was discussed with a great deal of feeling with the Bishop and the Archdeacon of Sheffield, who were responsible for the decision. Many of our older people, who remember the Church being built, shared our feelings about the loss of our beautiful Church and the Church Hall.

Most people in Newhall are aware of the numerous changes and problems that have contributed to the end of the services of these two important buildings. The industrial expansion and the slum clearance have reduced the Houses and the population to half of what they used to be. Our City Council representatives have reminded us; that when the future planning is complete, the Parish of Newhall will no longer exist.

Many in Newhall would have liked to have seen the work of the Church prolonged for a further period, but the problems of keeping the two Buildings in good condition and the heavy financial commitments on repairs to the Hall would not have been justified. When we look back on the History of the seventy-five years of Church work in Newhall, we are reminded that the Church had a very short life in comparison with many of the Churches in the surrounding districts. In point of time, the Church is just an Infant, but it is gratifying to know that the two Buildings which served the people of Newhall leave many happy memories and record of hard and faithful work by those responsible for erecting them and working amongst the good folk in the East End of the City.

In introducing myself as the Writer of this Book, may I say that no literary merit is claimed for what it contains? It is a simple record from an old Newhall boy. For the greater part of what it contains, the writer has had to rely on the printed record, chiefly the Magazines and the minutes of the Council Meetings, not forgetting my own memories and stories of the past that I have gathered from many of the old people in the District.

For information concerning the early history of Newhall, I am indebted to the Late Mr. G. R. Vine’s book, “The Story of Attercliffe” and also the late Sheffield historian Joseph Hunter.

Finally it remains for me to thank the Vicar of Attercliffe, Mr Howell Thomas, for his great assistance, and Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt for their help in searching for records.


43 Clixby Road,

Sheffield 9


To write a story of Newhall and ignore its early history would be like showing a picture with the background missing, leaving the blue sky and the distance for the imagination to fill.

Of the many hundreds that have lived in Newhall, many would hardly imagine the district having a background of blue skies, a sparkling river, lovely trees and green grass. This charming picture was true in the seventeenth century. From Brightside Lane, which was a lane in those days, you had a pleasant view of Newhall. The background blue skies, the houses intermingled with the green grass, the oaks and the sycamore trees.

From Newhall Road bridge, which was a Pack Horse bridge, you could rest on your morning stroll and gaze upon the short reaches of the Don, glistening and reflecting a clear blue sky, as it flowed along the tree fringed bank, which was a pleasant walk to our neighbouring parishes.

The view today is unfortunately not so pleasant and charming to the eye, its rural outlook destroyed by the industries that built vast steel works in the district. The Don has been converted into a muddy river. A conduit of all the imaginable filth and junk rolling defiled against the waterside pollution of the works. In place of the lovely trees, the work’s tall chimneys intermingle and dwarf the houses --which are slowly being pulled down... the Houses that sheltered our fathers and our grandfathers who were the steelworkers, the men whose knowledge and skill made possible the great steelworks, that almost produced the steel on the doorsteps and in the backyards of these dingy and soot-grimed houses.

It is from the Fells that the name Newhall is derived. The Fells were a family of wealthy iron masters, dating from the 17th century. They were known to have gained their wealth and position from the oldest Iron Works in Sheffield, named the Attercliffe Forge, formerly held under the Lord of the Manor and at one time worked by the Earl of Shrewsbury.

Sanderson & Newbould, a name closely associated with Newhall, for many years owned the site on which the forge was built. Later one of their factories was sited on Newhall Road, --in 1941 these premises were unfortunately damaged by a number of German bombs during the Second World War.

Until demolition of the Newhall area, the memory of the Forge, the Fells and the Sandersons lived on in the name of the public house, The Forge (at the corner of Don Road), also in the names of Fell Street, Fell Place and Sanderson Street.

The younger John Fell inherited his father’s business at the age of 28. He married Alice Bagshaw, daughter of a well–known Castleton family, but alas she died at the age of 27. Three years later he married the beautiful Elizabeth Laughton, the younger of two sisters from Scotter in Lincolnshire. They took up their residence in the handsome red-brick house known as Newhall, which stood where in later years Newhall School was built.

G. R. Vine tells us in his book, The Story of Old Attercliffe that there were two lovely approaches to the stately home of the Fells. One was from the top of Newhall Road, Attercliffe, a pleasant Avenue, lined on both sides with sycamore trees, turning at Don Road and finishing at Pelham Street. The other was from Brightside Lane, where Windmill Street used to be (later the entrance to the new Machine Shop of the English Steel Corporation) and this avenue continued down Don Road.

The mansion was about 130-feet long and faced the tree-lined border of the River Don, to which the lawns of the house sloped down. The position of Pagoda Street indicates roughly where the front of the house was situated. It had two flights of steps leading to the left and right of the carriageway.

John Fell died at the age of 66. His wife, known as Lady Bountiful of Newhall, became the owner of the business and continued to live at Newhall. She died in January 1795, aged 85. Hunter, the famous Sheffield historian, describes this grand Lady as a great friend of humanity, who spent the latter part of her long life in the practice of benevolence. One of her many gifts was a sum of £1,000 in response to the appeal for funds to build the Royal Infirmary. She was invited to lay the foundation stone, but was too ill to attend. Mr. Swallow, her manager, adviser and friend during her widowhood, laid the Stone on her behalf.


Church work began in Newhall in November 1886, when Miss Thomson, the daughter of the Archbishop of York, laid the foundation stone of the Mission Hall in Sanderson Street. In later years, when the Church was built, this became the parochial hall, or as many of the older inhabitants called it, “T`owd Church”. As the parish hall, it proved a great asset as a recreation centre, a meeting place, a labour exchange and a school.

A large amount of the money needed to build the Hall came from the Church Extension Society, which prospered under the benevolence of many loyal churchmen and businessmen who gave generously at a time when the Church of England was taking a deep interest in the working class districts.

The name of Alfred Wilson, of Sharrow Road Snuff Mills, stands prominently in the ranks of benevolent churchmen who gave generously to the building fund for churches in working class areas. Mr Wilson inherited his father’s business and his generous disposition. They were the landowners of the ground on which Newhall School was built and he also donated £500 towards the cost of building the Hall.

Over the years extensive alterations and repairs were done to the building, which was built at a cost of £1,800 and was sold for £3,000 in 1962.

In the early days of the Church, there was no Parish of Newhall. The Mission Hall was in the Parish of St. Thomas, Brightside, a large Parish, which made it difficult for the Vicar to visit all his people. The services were conducted by the Curate in Charge, John Richard Shaw, who was in charge from 1886 to his death in June 1896 at the age of 46.

Early records of the Mission Hall have not been found, but William Edginton took Mr Shaw’s place in 1896. Mr. Edginton was much respected and by all accounts a good Parochial worker for the old people in the parish. He paid regular visits to his former parish after he left in 1905 to become the Vicar of St. Simon’s. When he died suddenly in December 1919, at the age of 74, many people were touched by the news, for it evoked memories of the days when he had patiently toiled amongst them. He was popular in the early days of the parish; many homes in time of sickness and trouble were cheered by his presence.

Little is known of the Rev. Charles Gallimore, Vicar from 1905 to 1916. He was the first Vicar of St. Clements and left to became the Vicar of Laughton -le-Morthen.

Nurse Gertrude was a very old member of the Church. Her service to the Parish extended from 1906 to 1930, when due to ill health she left Sheffield. She could be classed as ‘Newhall’s Florence Nightingale’. She had a room in the parish and every morning it was full of people waiting for attention.


The early records of the church from which I have obtained most of the history are the minutes of the meetings, starting May 1916. The first Minute book, like all the books, contained a full report of the business discussed. This made my task much easier, and the minutes made interesting reading.

The first minute book is headed St. Clements (Eyre Memorial) Church.

The writing of this heading is a beautiful example of copperplate writing, the work of Mr. L. E. Keay, the Vestry clerk and secretary. Meetings were held annually at Easter. The Vicar occupied the chair, the churchwardens each gave an account of their yearly stewardship, and the officers were elected for the following year. In April 1921, a Council was formed under the Enabling Act of Parliament, which held meetings every three months. All members were allowed to attend and the officers were elected by the Parishioners.

The first Parochial Council consisted of the following Members: Delegates to the Diocesan Conference, Mr. Taylor and Mr. Dudley; delegates to the Ruri-Decanal Conference, Mrs. Thompson, Mr. L. Keay and Mr. Constantine; Chairman, the Vicar; Vice-Chairman, Mr. W. Turner; Secretary, Mr. L. Keay; Choir, Mr. W. Beaver; Church of England’s Men’s Society, Captain Ward; Junior Sunday School, Mr. Kearsley; Scouts, Mr. Denner; Men’s Institute, Mr. R. S. Brown; Young Men’s Bible Class, Mr. W. Garrett; Young Women’s Bible Class, Miss. Hatton; Women’s Meeting, Nurse Gertrude; Mother’s Union, Mrs. Constantine; Girl’s Friendly Society, Miss. Hickinbottom; Church Army Mission, Mr. Brumley; Magazine, Mr. Cowan; Magazine Distributor, Mrs. Turner; Ladies Guild of Work, Mrs. Dudley.

Mr. J. Thompson took over from Mr. Gallimore in March 1916. His period of service was most difficult, but very progressive. The results that followed, when the Church found a man of ability to give leadership and direction, are clearly shown in the history of St. Clement’s.

Mr. Thompson classed himself more of a businessman than a parish priest. He looked upon the Church as an industrial company, the Vicar managing director, the wardens business managers, the Vicar’s wife, wardens’ wives and Nurse Gertrude, the managers, and the congregation the shareholders. All the team worked ‘for the good of the company’, the Church.

Mr. Thompson’s energy, and the group of workers who assisted him, produced a mountain of work. They did their best to get the highest rate of interest and one successful year of business was in 1922, when the accounts showed the large sum of £2, 500 being raised.

We can assume from the above and the minutes of the meetings that they were very business-like. The members were keenly interested in the affairs of the Church. There appears to be one discouraging feature in the leadership -- that was that the wardens, Mr. Turner, Mr. Dudley, and Mr. Keay and many of the leading Officers did not live in the Parish.

In fact when we look at the position more closely; we find there was only a small number of people in the Parish who attended the Church, in comparison to the number who attended and lived outside the Parish. This in the final years, lack of support from within the Parish, was one of the main factors in closing the Church.

It is pleasing to note that in 1920 the position changed when Mr. Constantine, who managed a Pawnbroker’s Shop in Alfred Road and lived in the Parish, became the People’s Warden and managed the affairs for 16 Years.

Mr. Turner who lived in Darnall and Mr. Keay who lived at Firth Park were, I believe, the first wardens of the Parish. Both had a record of long service, and during Mr. Turner’s term of office, he participated in the formation of a separate parish and witnessed the new church being built. His two sons, George and Albert, followed in his footsteps, and became wardens and scoutmasters for many years. Mrs Turner was also a faithful worker for the Church.

St. Clements Church, a neat red-bricked building, with a seating capacity of 500, was built in 1914, at a cost of £6.000. J. D. Webster and Sons of Sheffield, who were architects & designers of the Emmanuel Church, Washford Bridge, which was destroyed during the Blitz, Mr. Webster was a prominent churchman, respected for his kind and genial ways. He was a founder of the Children’s Hospital and chairman of the management committee for a number of years. He died in October 1913, at the age of 74, and was succeeded by his Son, John Douglas Webster. Miss Eyre, the daughter of Archdeacon Eyre, laid the foundation stone.

It was named the Eyre Memorial Church in memory of her father, who died in June 1912, following a long and painful illness. His wife, hopelessly ill at the same time, passed away eight weeks later. Archdeacon Eyre was buried in Ecclesall Churchyard and at his funeral the Archbishop of York, Dr. Cosmo Lang, paid a touching tribute.

The Eyre Family gave many gifts to St. Clements, which included the handsome oak Pulpit. The Font was a gift in remembrance of Mrs. Eyre from the Women of Sheffield. The Church was consecrated in September 1914, five weeks after the outbreak of World War One.

The Church’s birthday became a day of Memory to the Men of Newhall who served and sacrificed their lives in that Great War. Out of a population of 7.000, 600 Men were called to the colours and in Alfred Road alone 100 left their homes to serve their King and Country –surely a record for one road in a parish.


It had always been the wish of the Vicar, Mr. Thompson, that the Church built on such treasured memories should have a Stained Glass Window. He did not want this Gift to come from one person; he wanted it to come from all the people in the parish, and, moreover, from the mothers, wives, sweethearts and relatives of the 700 Boys who had served in the Army and Navy.

During his regular visits in the parish he expressed his thoughts to a dear old mother and widow, Mrs. Stokes. She took out her purse and gave him sixpence. This small coin was the first donation to the Memorial Window. From that small beginning, the money needed to provide the Window was raised in four years.

The first year resulted in £39 being raised, and as the loyal churchworkers became increasingly active, the Memorial Fund began to grow. Socials, concerts, and garden parties, organised by Mr. Thompson, Nurse Gertrude, Mrs. Dudley, Mrs. Archer, Mrs. Turner and many more, helped to swell the Fund and catered for the leisure hours of the people in the Parish, in providing entertainment, with the result that £600 was raised.

Mr. Thompson’s wish for gifts from all became a reality. Everybody looked forward to the day of unveiling of the Window. On Saturday afternoon the 29th of May 1918, the Window was unveiled and dedicated, Mr. R. Cowan, the Editor of the Magazine, wrote a good description of the Memorial Service: “Half past three, a large and reverent congregation in a spotless clean Church, beautiful in its red Whitsuntide setting. The bell ceased and the white robed procession entered the Church at the west end to the strains of a lovely Hymn ‘How bright these glorious spirits shine’; the Chancel reached, a shortened form of evening song, and the special Memorial commenced with the 23rd Psalm. By a happy arrangement the lesson was read by the Rev. John Eyre, the son of the late Archdeacon Eyre. Then the Lord Bishop of Sheffield accompanied by the Vicar and wardens proceeded to the Alter. Mr. Douglas Vickers MP unveiled the East Window, and it was dedicated by the Bishop.”

Mr. Cowan wrote: “It was a thrilling moment when the curtain descended and exposed the exquisite outlines and colours of: ‘The Crucified Christ and attendant Saints’ depicted in the window. The Last Post was sounded, and then the Organ pealed forth ‘The Dead March’. Many in the congregation were visibly moved as with bowed heads and tear-dimmed eyes their thoughts went out to those who had fought their last fight on a foreign battlefield.

“The moving address by the Bishop was simple and inspiring, the message of one who knew the sorrow and joy of war sacrifice. The Memorial, the Bishop said, was placed where it would ever remain in God’s house; it belonged to the people.

“Beginning with sixpence, given by a mother of a fallen boy, the fund had grown until the outcome is a beautiful window. It is a gift of the best: And it’s being is to give light and hope! It commemorates a light thrown on duty, courage, faith and beauty-- the window is an inspiration for us all to do better!”


The Parish Magazine was introduced in January 1918, and the first issue was received with much encouragement from Mr. Thompson and his workers. Many people became regular subscribers, and during the years of its publication its readers became well informed on the daily activities of the church. From the first publication of 900 copies at one penny each it reached an annual circulation of 1,200, but the magazine with its wide circulation did not make the profits anticipated. The accounts for the first quarter showed a balance on the wrong side, due to the high cost of production. This high cost in the following year placed the paper in debt and the price was raised to one penny & a half to avoid further losses.

The magazine was looked upon as a medium of missionary value. It continued to be published under the most difficult financial conditions, which caused anxiety to the Vicar and those responsible for its publication. Many magazines in other parishes had been forced to give up, owing to the high cost of production, but the one at St. Clement`s continued in face of these great obstacles. The price was raised again to two pence and it took on a different look in 1921. A new cover was designed, the reading material improved, and the adverts mostly inserted by the local shopkeepers, the main financial pillar, were rearranged.

By sheer efforts of the Vicar, the editor,Mr. R. Cowan, the accountant, Mr. Constantine, and the distributors, the magazine continued to be circulated for about 40 years.

The first issue, printed part of the Bishop of Sheffield’s letter for the New Year. His Lordship told the readers that the New Year held for the nation, a prospect of a true test of faith and resolution. If it remained true to the tradition in defence of freedom and justice, we should win. If it weakened its resolve to right the wrong, stooped to selfish peace, at the price of right and peace of others, or failed to secure.The objects for which war was declared, because of callousness or war weariness, victory would be lost and no one would trust us again. The Bishop expressed the view that the New Year urged us to face the issue, with its consequence for justice and the future welfare of the country. He hoped the National Church of England, that shared its triumphs and failures, would bear witness to the choice, which lay in the path of the citizen.

Mr. Thompson in his first letter expressed hope for peace; then, he assured his readers, it would be a happy one. He warned the people that before they thought of a happy and peaceful life, they must have patience and courage to endure the hard times before them. He emphasised the word endure. Our men at sea and in the trenches denied and endured with difficulty for their homes. He told his readers that they could do the same, by enduring less food, for equal shares for the Forces, and enduring injustices and grievances at the work, if it saved lives and shortened the war. “Endure and deny pleasure if it helps the Government to lasting peace”.

At last the war clouds lifted and the Vicar expected great things from the people of Newhall, more so from his congregation. In his New Year letter, he reminded them that he had wished them a happy contended, peaceful and prosperous one. His reasons for the words, contented and peaceful, were, he explained, for the threatened unsettlement in the industrial field, and he urged them to do all in their power to secure a real peace.

The Newspapers were full of reports of discontent in the main industries, with no sign of a settlement. Two-hundred thousand men were on strike in Belfast, 70,000 on strike in the shipbuilding yards, and it was the opinion of the Vicar that the strikes could spread throughout the country. He warned that we could lose in six months what we had fought for in four years of war, and if they wanted to enjoy a lasting peace, better conditions and a new happy England, confidence and trust must be found in the union leaders, Members of Parliament and the representatives of the Peace Conference. He suggested more patience be used to end these problems. The leaders of industry and the country could not do everything at once. War industries could not be converted to peacetime industries in a few months. We could not allow conditions to be as they were before the war; we must have better conditions and a different relationship between Capital and Labour.

Mr. Thompson was very critical on the problem of Sunday observance. Numerous letters in the local paper said we could not make England sober by Acts of Parliament, nor obtain a due observance of Sunday by the same methods. The Vicar said Sunday ought to be what its name implies, not a day of gloom but of sunshine, brightness and happiness. But what did he witness on a Sunday in Newhall? He came across men congregating at the corner of the streets, gambling; others idling and lolling at their house doors, looking as if Sunday was the most miserable day of the week. These were indeed sad and true pictures of Newhall.

The Vicar said that you could not blame the men; if the Church had left these people for over 30 years to look after themselves, and provide their own interests, then the Church must shoulder that responsibility. Mr. Thompson tried to get his people into the way of observing the best hours of the day by going to Church at least once and then he thought he could trust them to do their best with the remainder of Sunday.

He was critical of the people who had the most time for recreation during the week and wanted Sunday for the same purpose. Many of these people were advocating Sunday football. He invited them to come to the square opposite the Church and they would get enough football on Sunday to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, he told them, some of us who don’t want it, have to put up with it, much to their annoyance when the services are on, and the expense of paying for broken windows.


A Company of Boy Scouts, the 130th Troop, was formed in March1921, under the leadership of Mr. H. Denner, Scoutmaster, and Captain Ward, Church Army, who assisted with first-aid training. The following year the Scouts had a Troop of 26 plus 15 Cubs.

In January 1922, they gave their first Scout Concert, helped by the 7th Attercliffe Troop. The aim of promoting Concerts was to obtain funds for future Camping Expeditions. The first Camp at Hathersage in August with the Scouts from St. Barnabas was not a success. Heavy rain intervened, the Camp speedily broke up and the lads, drenched but not downhearted, returned home on Bank Holiday Monday.

George Hodge reported that an advance party set off on Friday morning, and tents and a marquee were erected for the boys who arrived on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning a church parade was held, and in the afternoon a sacred concert. The weather was beautiful and sunny. Then came trouble. I will let Hodge tell his own tale:

“We retired to bed at 10 o’clock. It was then fine, but at 1am the rain began, --gently at first, then getting faster, till at length it poured. We heard the officers slackening tent ropes, and wasn’t it cold? I heard afterwards that in one tent the 15 occupants all scrambled to the centre and tried to warm themselves at a solitary candle. One boy discovered his palliasse full of water. When I woke, my feet were sticking out of the tent catching the rain. At six o ’clock the orderlies had to turn out and cook the breakfast. The first thing I saw when I put my head out of the tent was the Marquee, which reminded me of the song ‘A little Ship was on the Sea’, but the ship was fast becoming a wreck! Finally the Officers decided on home and a dry train rushed the half-drowned party of 60 to Sheffield.”

In 1923, Mr Denner left the Scouts and Mr George Turner took over as Scoutmaster. The troop was not moving very smoothly, but Mr Turner was able to secure two good helpers, Mr. H. Bartlett, for the Cubs, and the Curate, Mr. Austin, as assistant scoutmaster.

Mr. Austin, who came to St. Clement`s in 1922, was a keen and enthusiastic Scouter and also carried that keenness and enthusiasm in his work as an assistant priest. He was a typical sporting Curate, a commitment that which was needed and the men, more so the young ones, quickly adapted themselves to him and he became very popular in the parish. One of Mr. Thompson’s stock puzzles, ‘Come to Newhall and find a blade of grass’ made Mr. Austin very determined to wipe out this reproach on Newhall’s good name. He enlisted many willing hands and with wheelbarrows, carts and lorries, the rubble was removed from the vicarage site and loads of soil and turf were laid. At last with plenty of spadework by his workers, the Vicar’s puzzle was solved. The Parishioners could proudly boast there was a green spot in the Parish, which was a lovely improvement on the exterior of the Church.

The following year the Scouts went to Camp somewhere in Derbyshire and the following report makes good reading. The Derbyshire Commissioner after the Camp, said, “This is the best Camp I have seen”. A Message received by flag wavers from a visitor stated “Camp good, custard rotten”.

Extracts from an essay on Camp 1923 by one of the scouts: “It was the best camp I have been to, but I have not been to a camp before. The food was good and there was plenty. The rabbit & caterpillar soup was nice and I wish our Scoutmasters would tell Mother how to make it! We slept very comfortable, ten in our Tent, while the officers kept the other Tent for them. Everybody in our tent said someone used to Snore, but I never heard it. Our campfire one Friday night was very great. I enjoyed it very much, so did everyone else, although the Scoutmasters did not manage to poison us.”

An extract from a letter of the Scoutmaster may aid mothers to make rabbit & caterpillar soup. “Mr Austin shot a rabbit last night and I killed a mouse this morning. We have just had some nice Stew.” Another extract said: “We drew our water from the Traveller’s Rest”.

The Scoutmasters reported a very enjoyable week and a very successful camp. “The scouts helped in every way in true scouting spirit, Monday was the only troublesome day, but the good things of Monday outweighed the bad. Little sleep on Saturday night caused the lads to sleep well on Sunday and they rather objected to the six o’clock reveille on Monday. Not even a lump of sugar would entice them from their blankets, and one Scout noisily protested he was still asleep. When they were out of the tent, the mention of physical jerks caused dismay among some, but the lads enjoyed the exercises and wanted more, although breakfast was waiting.

“After breakfast the command to get out kits led to more grumbling and Fleming went so far as to cut his thumb rather than to do it. Still it was done and tents cleared out. Later while Mr. Turner was away with Fleming seeking a doctor, the Derbyshire Commissioner inspected the Camp and gave high praise. The best scouts in camp were patrol leaders Turner and W. Redfearn, scouts Hill, Lees, Boswell, Fleming, Haslam, Jollife, Kenyon and J. Redfearn.

“It was altogether a very happy week. The farmer wrote to say he was very satisfied with the state in which they had left his ground.”


St. Clement`s had numerous agencies connected with the social activities of the Parish. The general feeling of the Church was that there was no purpose in finding fault with the people of Newhall for their wrong doings such as damaging the church and hall, footballing and gaming in the street unless, the Vicar and his helpers put these temptations out of the way and provided better and healthier things to do.

The people of Newhall could not have green fields with tennis courts, bowling greens, football and cricket pitches. But to enable them to enjoy better facilities and keep them out of mischief, the Vicar and his helpers started a Men’s Institute and rented a playing field in Shiregreen, so that the young and the old could enjoy their leisure in better conditions. He thought that these amenities would give him an opportunity of getting to know the men and be the means of increasing the attendance at Church. Previous to the opening of the Institute, a number of men from the congregation visited various church clubs and institutes to gain information and draw up a report that would help them to run one. They visited St. Chad’s, Woodseats, St. Michaels, Neepsend, St. Augustine’s and St. Mary’s, and at last the Men’s Institute was opened. The event was a great success and the occasion was celebrated with a supper, with 73 members and guests from other clubs.

The Club experienced a lot of difficulty in the first two or three years. This caused the Vicar great concern and he thought the time had come when it should be mended or ended. His views were that the men taking a more active interest could mend it and so a committee was formed with Mr. Constantine as secretary, Messrs, Carnall, Chilton, Hanwell, Jollife, Love and Underwood as members.

The Committee, encouraged and guided by Mr. Thompson, got down to making the club a success. The main reason the club could not pay its way was because of the widespread unemployment and it must have been some satisfaction to Mr. Thompson to know that it had satisfied one of his desires in providing a place where the men could meet and occupy some of their enforced leisure.

In looking at the situation, one is inclined to believe that the Vicar’s criticism was a little unfounded, and from the reports, the committee had assured him that when the men resumed work they would do their best to make the club a useful agency and contribute their share towards the burden of parochial finance.

In 1923, at an annual Meeting, a report on the balance sheet presented by Mr. Constantine was very pleasing and the Vicar congratulated them for their splendid efforts. It had taken a long time to get into working order; but it proved one thing, that, when the Vicar pushed, these lads from Newhall got cracking. Another bright spot in the affairs of the club was the successful run in sports, football, billiards, where they had won trophies, and other indoor games.


Whit Sunday for many years was a great day in the history of the church. It was a glorious opportunity for the people of Newhall to show what they stood for. The young and old took that opportunity and made a very gratifying show. The large Sunday school was a special interest in this great day, and more often than not the long Procession of the Sunday school, Teaches, Choir and Congregation was favoured with glorious weather.

The scene in the streets and on the Square or “Holler”, as it was called, was one of intense activity. The Children flaunted their *** ribbons and their pretty new clothes that was the best that their parents could afford in the glorious “Whit Parade”;. The Whitsuntide frocks and suits were admired and rewarded with coppers. Their new clothes were the glory of fond parents and nothing so simple and beautiful had garnished the parish for many long years.

It was the children’s festival and they enjoyed that privilege to the utmost, The choirmaster stood on the horse-drawn dray, which acted as a platform, lifted his baton, the treble note was sounded on the cornet of the Vickers Band, and as Mr. Beever`s baton descended, the sweet voices of the children, joined by the parents, swelled through the Square, echoing and re-echoing in the streets and alleys throughout the parish. The parade of the children in their new clothes was to continue for many years to come.

The memory of the Children, the sweet sound of their voices, will never be forgotten by many of the older readers. It proclaimed in those days the immense popularity of St. Clement`s annual joy day for the Sunday School scholars of Newhall. The service on the Square and the length of the Procession can be gathered from the fact, that, when the band returning from Hawke Street was passing Newhall Road and in Alfred Road, the end of the Procession towards Hawke Street was passing Newhall Road in Brightside Lane.

The end of this pleasant Festival period was Whit Monday afternoon. The Children went to the Hall, or direct to the Field, ready for the ample refreshments of buns, sandwiches and tea, which the teachers and willing helpers had prepared. Then to the spacious field with cricket bats for the various amusements and sports that had been prepared. It was not until the sun had set that this happy throng of parents and children, with their weary limbs turned homeward to Newhall.

Whitsuntide with its procession and activities had a competitor in March 1920, when an important extension of church activities, the Church Army, commenced work.

Captain Ward, with his rallies and processions of Scouts, Church Army, Church Officers and Ex-servicemen, soon proved a valuable member to the staff of St. Clement`s and a valuable friend to many of the Lads and rough diamonds of the parish. He received a very good response to the class he created for the boys who had just left school. He opened a boys club and formed a football team for lads whom he described as being “worth their weight in gold”.

The Magazine, Gazette, proved a popular paper for the Church Army. It reached a circulation of 400 Copies and was sold in all the public houses in Newhall on a Saturday night. Landlords and customers gave Captain Ward and his Gazette a hearty welcome.

After Captain Ward left to take up duties in the London headquarters, the Church Army passed through a very trying experience. Captain Morse, his successor, left after only six months. Mr. Whitehouse came to the rescue and helped while the Vicar was working single-handed. Captain Duffy took over for a very short period: unfortunately Mr. Thompson asked the church to withdraw him, owing to the falling off in collections, subscriptions and increased expenditure. This was granted and, sadly, after two years, the church dismantled this important extension.

Captain Ward returned to Newhall for a final Church Army rally in March 1923. A special service was held in St. Clement`s on the Saturday afternoon. Afterwards, tea was served to a large gathering in the Hall, and a large open air service concluded the day’s events. On Monday evening a Lantern Service was held for the men, and Mr. Brumby presented Captain Ward with a gold watch in recognition for his valuable service to Newhall.


This brief history would not be complete if I failed to make reference to the various activities that took place between the Church and the School.

Newhall School, which later became the Infant School, was the first school to be built in Britain under The Education Act of 1873. Because of this the School was featured in a major film in the late 1950s, based on a novel by D. H. Lawrence, with a number of the local adults and children participating as extras.

From a record of the death of Mr. Thomas Hughes, who died in West Africa in 1920, we learn that he was the first organist when the services were held in the School. Sir John Brown was at the time Chairman of the School Board. Sir John also had the proud honour of being the first Sheffield man to be made a Knight.

On many occasions the Bishop of Sheffield paid visits to the Parish. In October 1919 he visited many departments in Newhall School and addressed about 1,800 children, which gives an idea how overcrowded the School was in those days.

One of the notable parts played by the School was the “Armistice Service” that was held in the church for the seniors and the church hall for the juniors and Infants. It was an inspiring sight to witness a large gathering of parents and children in the church and I think it will be very appropriate to reprint the essay of J. Atkinson and the letter of thanks from Mr. H. S. Newton who was the Director of Education.

The Service for the 2nd Anniversary of Armistice Day was admirable and impressive. We were in the Church a few minutes before the Silence. As soon as the single was given, the Church Bells stopped as if by Magic.

During the Silence it was if the Church had not a single soul in it, instead of the immense congregation. Many an eye was filled with tears. The order of the Service was simple, consisting of suitable Hymns and appropriate Prayers. Mr. Wells read the Lesson from Psalm number 146, which was read distinctly and Reverently. Then came a short address, including the Story of St. Martin by the Rev. Mr. J. Thompson. This Service is something the Newhall Children are proud of, because we made the biggest Congregation ever seen.

In the short address, The Rev. J. Thompson pointed out two Flags, which will stop there always to remind us of “Armistice Day”.

J. Atkinson.

The Letter from the Education committee was as follows:

Dear Mr. Thompson,

The Headmaster of Newhall School informs me that you were good enough to place your Church and your Church Workers, including the organist, at his disposal for the Armistice Day Service. I also understand that many parents, especially those of the Fallen: took part in the Service, will you permit me to thank you for your goodness in this matter and for your inspiring address? I feel sure the Services, which you undertook; cannot do otherwise than live in the Memories of those, present, for their good.

Yours faithfully,

H. S. Newton.

The Church did not only participate in days that meant tears and sorrow. It took part in joy days and victorious days. Essays in the Magazine always recorded these occasions and I reprint the essays of Nora Ball and Harold Redfearn, a very dear old friend of Newhall and St. Clements.

Nora Bell: “On Friday morning, June 3rd, we assembled in the Hall at half past eleven and looked with interest at Mr. Thompson, who had kindly volunteered to distribute the swimming certificates. The scholars who had visited the Victoria Hall sang two songs; “Fairest Isle” and “Gossip Joan” conducted by Mr. Beech.

The faces of the winners were wreathed in smiles when they went to the Vicar to receive their reward. After he had given out the certificates, he made a speech, the subject being sport. He said sport was a very fine recreation and beneficial to health. The day before he had been playing golf. At the finish he was very hot, and he wished he could swim. He also mentioned a scene beside the canal, of which he was a spectator. Some people were engaged in pulling out a boy who had drowned. Mr. Thompson remarked that, if someone who could swim had been close by, the boy would have been saved!

The football boys were praised by the Vicar for their victories, at the conclusion of his speech we said prayers and then departed for the afternoon holiday.”

Football has always been the main hobby for the men and boys of Newhall. The parish can proudly boast that it has made many good footballers. Newhall School in its highlights played a big part in making football popular.

Many of my old friends and schoolmates will never forget the great football honours that came to the School, names like Harry Gooney, schoolboy international, Sid Aistrup, whose father did a great amount of work in making the team successful, Walt Tunnard, Buller Speachley, and many more.

The School’s Rallying Song

We are the Newhall Boys,

We never make any noise,

We win all the Matches,

We get all the Scratches,

We are known where ever we play,

Especially down Newhall Road,

Igh, Igh, Igh, Mr. McKie,

We are the Newhall Boys.

Shall we Win Yes!

Shall we Lose No!

We are the Newhall Boys.

I often wonder who composed that song: it was sung at every match and the team had the honour of playing on both the Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United grounds. Yes, those were the days and I leave Harold Redfearn to describe a presentation.

“On Thursday afternoon, July 20th Newhall School had it’s highest Honour bestowed on it, the presentation of the Wednesday Shield and Medals by Sir William Clegg, the famous footballer and sportsman. Among those present were Mr. Quine, Mr. Green, the Chairman of the Schools Football Association, and our respected Vicar, Mr. Thompson.

“Mr. Wells, the Headmaster, called on Sir William Clegg to speak, and Sir William complimented the players on their achievement and the parents and friends on their enthusiasm.

“Sir William gave three Rules: Play the Game, never be selfish, never argue against the decision of the referee --not only on the football field, but also on the Field of Life.

“The medals were then awarded. The Clegg boys received bronze medals as runners-up, while the victorious juniors, arrayed in whiter football shirts, received silver medals, and Sidney Aistrup, the dexterous outside right received the coveted trophy. After each boy had received his medal, he shook hands with Sir William and retired blushing from the deafening applause of his friends.

At the conclusion of proceedings, the Shield was placed on Mr. Wells desk for inspection.


The Rev, J. E. Hewitt took over from Mr. Thompson in 1925, when he moved to become the Vicar of Bradfield`s Church. The Church was in a good financial position and the task that confronted any Priest taking charge, was the tremendous amount of work Mr. Thompson had created during the eight and a half years he had been in the Parish.

Mr. Hewitt had the service of two staunch churchmen, church wardens Dudley and Constantine. Both were businessmen and their business experience proved very reliable in running the church affairs.

Mr and Mrs Constantine were the mainstay of the social and club life of the parish. To many friends who lived in the parish, he was known as Uncle Ernest, because of his business as a Pawnbroker, his premises commonly known as the Pop Shop. Happily this kind of business has almost disappeared, but it was no disgrace in those days to pawn your personal belongings for a few shillings to buy the bare necessities of life.

One concern of Mr. Hewitt’s was the children of the parish. He found the enthusiasm of the children in going to Sunday school was not as high as he expected. In his view, the Christian church stood by the child, and humanity demanded that the child should not be deprived of any rights.

Mr. Hewitt had only been in the parish about three years when he was faced with many problems. It was evident from the minutes that all was not well. The Men’s Institute was not running satisfactory and the playing field had to be disposed of because of arrears in the rent. The Sports Club that had been an asset to the men of Newhall fell through. The break-up of Mr. Thompson’s good work was not the fault of Mr. Hewitt or his loyal band of workers. Bad trade and unemployment meant that donations from the loyal firms were falling; all these problems contributed to the serious financial difficulties.

In 1929, Mr. Dudley expressed the wish to resign as church warden. This was a severe blow to the Vicar and he pressed him to remain, and happily he consented. Unfortunately, the wheels don’t always run smoothly in Church affairs. There are problems that the ordinary people of the Parish do not see, and St. Clement`s, like many more Churches, had difficult problems that called for courage and strong leadership.

The Vicar could not afford to lose the services of Mr. Dudley. He had complained at various meetings that the wardens were not getting enough help and he was also in need of more assistance, because of the strain on his health. This unhappy state of affairs may have contributed to Mr. Dudley wishing to resign,

but the happiest ending to one problem was the Vicar lending £20 to pay the Insurance, which had almost lapsed.

The following year, which was Mr. Dudley’s last year of Office, the financial state of the Church was favourably established and his last year of Office had more than satisfied everyone.

This, no doubt, was a very good evidence of his efficiency, and his resignation, which was deeply regretted, had to be accepted. The Vicar experienced great difficulty in filling the position. Mr. Keay was asked, but he declined owing to his ill health, and, indeed, later resigned his position as secretary, with the result the church lost two very reliable workers.

Mr. G. Turner was elected and the affairs of the Church remained calm. In 1936, the financial storm struck again, a further disappointment was the resignation of Mr. Constantine, who was leaving the district.

Mr. Clement Duffin, organist and choirmaster, took over the position while continuing to serve in his former roles. He was a splendid organist and had taken the position of choirmaster from Mr. Beever with very little experience, yet, despite this, the choir became one of the best. Mr. Duffin resigned all his positions in January 1944, after serving the church as organist, choirmaster and churchwarden for 25 Years. In March of the same year the Members of the Council showed their appreciation; and the May Queen, in recognition of his valuable service, made a suitable presentation.


The Church Council were concerned over the future of St. Clement`s, when

Mr. Hewitt left in 1941, for another living, which I believe was in Nottingham. Father Sadler took charge, he appeared to be a popular Priest and the Council asked the Bishop of Sheffield to appoint him Priest in Charge or permanent Vicar. The wish was not granted, owing to Mr Sadler being liable for military service, and his Lordship appointed the Rev. R. Fitton, who I believe was Vicar of Emmanuel Church at the time.

Mr. Fitton was only in charge for about a year, the Church was in a good financial position, but he decided to cancel the whist drives and dances that were held in the hall. This did not meet with the approval of the Council, and eventually the Council was successful in altering the decision. Social events provided the much-needed finance, but the Vicar thought by holding these functions we were working “For The Devil”. In 1943, Mr. Fitton left and Father Kemp was in complete charge.

Father Kemp did some very valuable work on the social section and the affairs of the Church ran smoothly. On June the 18th 1944, he informed the Council that he was leaving, stating that he was reluctant to go, but however prosperous the work was at St. Clement`s, he thought it would come to an end after the War. This appeared to be his reason for accepting the living at Ridgeway Church. Churchwarden Mr. Redfearn expressed concern about the future, and was assured that the Church would carry on.

In February 1945, the Rev. Wardle Harpur introduced the Rev. K. Thornton, formerly of St. Peter`s Abbeydale, to be the new Priest in charge. Owing to ill health he could not do justice to his duties, but during his short stay he formed a youth club and a Saturday night club, it was very unfortunate to lose a Vicar of such promise.

Mr. Hewitt’s return to St. Clement`s in 1945 had a tendency to bring new life into the parish. Garden parties, May Queen celebrations, concerts and galas contributed to the social activities and kept the church in a reasonable financial position. Changes had also been made to the Council, with Mr. Redfearn and Mr. Turner the Wardens. The associations were represented by Miss Whiteley, Secretary; Mother’s Union, Mrs Lane; Mother’s Meeting, Mrs. Goodwin; Sunday school. P. Davis; Scouts, Mr. C. Long; Cubs, Mr. Youle; Girl Guides, Miss Wain; Brownies, Miss May; and Miss Clare, Choir. The Council consisted of Mr. Croft, Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt, Mr Maher, Mrs. Burgin, Mrs. Shaw. Mr. Smith, Mr. Webster and Mrs Redfearn, Mrs. Redfearn and Mr. Bartram was the representative for the Ruri – Deacanal Conference, and Mrs Redfearn and Mrs. Lane represented the Diocesan Conference.

The changes in the Council seemed to be the answer to many problems, more members lived in the parish, and the numerous social activities they were able to handle brought more people to Newhall. House–to–house collections: and the popular miles of Pennies, though frowned upon in the past, were organised and the response proved very generous and a source of satisfaction to the Council, to know that after paying the bills, there was a balance of cash in hand. Unfortunately the increased interest in social activities did not bring more members into the congregation; still the dark clouds over the future of the Church remained low and threatening.

In June 1948, an amendment from the re-organisation Committee was read to the Council, advising them to withdraw their objections, which they had sent to the Church Commissioners in London, in reference to the Church of St. Clement`s joining the Attercliffe Parish. The same amendment was a reprieve for the Church; it provided for it to remain in the Scheme of its present incumbency, provided that the re-planning of the Local Authorities effected no substantial decrease in the Population.

The amendment was accepted, with a further clause from the Council stating that after the present Vicar retired, resigned, accepted another living or died, a Priest-in-charge should be appointed to administer the affairs of the Church. This also included the Church Hall, which brought in some money due to it being hired out for events by the local people.

In June 1957, the Rev. Hewitt died suddenly and the Parish was left in the position, as it had been ten years before. A meeting was held to discuss the future of the Parish and was attended by a number of Church Officials and Workers including: Mrs. Redfearn, Church Warden; Mr. and Mrs. Bartram, Mr. Youle, Mrs. Hewitt, Mrs. Goodwin, Mr. Croft and Miss Bartram. The speakers were Archdeacon Harrison, the Rural Dean, Rev. H. Ferraby and Mr. Pye Smith. The Archdeacon reported he had made inquiries concerning the demolition plans in the near future.

The Authorities reported that 250 Houses would be demolished between 1957 and 1972, The English Steel Corporation had also been approached in reference to their Housing Policy and they had bought all the Houses that they required.

It was assumed at the time that the population was almost stable; the Legal position and alternatives were summed up as follows. First a new Vicar could be appointed and live in the Vicarage. Secondly, a clergyman could be in charge; he would not live in the Parish and the Council would function as usual. The third possibility was very unpopular: St. Clement`s should be joined to another Parish, which meant the Church being closed.

The Vicar of Attercliffe was appointed Priest in Charge, the financial position had dropped and according to the records, the late Vicar had loaned the Council money, which was still outstanding.


It was to be that the death of Mr. Hewitt would raise further problems for the future of St. Clement`s. One major problem was the shortage of clergy, and if the clergy had been available, there was always the problem of getting a Vicar to accept the living.

One of the hardest experiences in the difficult times through which the church had passed, was the breaking of the links with members who had helped to lay the foundations and had loyally played their part in the difficult years. Mr. Dudley, Mr. Constantine, Mr. Duffin, the Turner Family -- these people had all gone! Mrs. Redfearn remained, but both her sons had said goodbye. Even in normal times such things become inevitable and to my mind, because things were not normal, the services of this group of loyal and experienced men and women had become highly valued.

However, if some were leaving, others were coming. In 1958, the Bishop of Sheffield decided to appoint two Women Workers, Miss Maynard Smith and Miss Freda Matchett, to assist the Vicar of Attercliffe. So for a few years the Life of the Church was assured, having no Vicar the Council was under the Chairmanship of the Archdeacon of Sheffield. Miss Smith was the vice-chairman and treasurer, and Miss Matchett, whose stay was only for a short period, took over the youth section, until she was transferred to Maltby.

Miss Maynard Smith was in a very difficult position, her work was extremely hard, but the tack she undertook was performed with the utmost energy and efficiency that she could command. The congregation dwindled down to a very small number and it was a very sorry spectacle to see such a small band of workers in such a large church.

The poor attendance was the reason for the suggestion being made to partition the side Chapel. Plans were submitted and the Council with the Authority of those responsible agreed to the alteration. This was the last item of expenditure on the fabric of the Church. The repairs to the roof and the interior alterations amounted to £600; a grant of £370 was received from the War damage fund and the remainder was raised in the Parish by various Social activities.

The alterations made possible a more compact and comfortable corner for the small Congregation. Previous to the Church closing, there was no cause for anxiety on the Financial position, during it’s latter years, many sections ceased to function. The Derby and Joan Club continued under the guidance of Miss Smith, and when she left, the Council of Social service took over. It was very unfortunate the Youth Club had to close down. Miss Smith did a very remarkable piece of work, which I feel sure the teenagers of the Parish appreciated. We must not forget the kind and generous assistance that came from Mrs. Large and Mrs. Goodwin; these ladies could be seen in the club every Thursday, giving their best.

Another hard working couple for the club were Sam Grainger, who trained the football and cricket Teams, and his wife who undertook the hard task of washing all the football gear.

Very little has been said of Mr and Mrs. Hewitt, verger and caretaker of the church, both gave a very long and faithful service. On many occasions when the church has been described as a beautiful place, it had been Mrs Hewitt’s kind and willing hands that made the description possible. To mark appreciation of her untiring work, a presentation of a gold watch was made in July 1961, by the Archdeacon of Sheffield.

And so, friends and neighbours, I conclude this book on the memories of the past. I believe the best conclusion will be to end with the farewell message of Miss Smith. “Among my Memories, ” she wrote, “will remain my admiration for the cheerful and courageous way in which people managed to live their family lives under such extremely difficult conditions. I have never ceased to wonder at the way in which people’s homes are kept bright and clean despite the smoky atmosphere, lack of hot water and shortage of space. It is the people I shall remember, your friendliness and good neighbourliness are qualities far too rare today and sadly lacking in many of the newer areas of the city.

“When you move to other districts and have more modern houses, please take with you all that has been your best in life here. It would be sad if the very real virtues, which have been forged despite years of unemployment, and struggle, were left behind with the soot and cobbled streets! “

Any comments...any memories?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Trefcon

The War Memorial window survives.

It was designed by the Kempe studio, very well known in the stained glass world.

It's now in All Saint's Church, Ainslie, Canberra, Australia !!

It is now that Church's WW2 memorial.


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gramps

Thanks for posting that; an interesting read and well worth preserving.

My only connection with the parish is that I knew a few people who were 'cleared' off Alfred road, all gone now I imagine, but they were more likely to have been regulars in the Brickmakers Arms than the church he he

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Thanks for posting that; an interesting read and well worth preserving.

My only connection with the parish is that I knew a few people who were 'cleared' off Alfred road, all gone now I imagine, but they were more likely to have been regulars in the Brickmakers Arms than the church he he

This is not particularly good, but the Newhall gang will appreciate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest castor

Anyone with a touch of nostalgia for the Newhall district will find this interesting.


By George Long

Price: One Shilling.


I am glad to be asked by George Long to write a preface to his farewell History of St. Clements, Newhall. I must first congratulate him on the hard work he has put into the book. He has succeeded in giving an account, which makes the parish live in the minds of readers.

Val Maynard Smith spoke for all of us outsiders who have had any opportunity to try to help in Newhall. We have the deepest admiration for those who have lived so courageously and cheerfully in what must be one of the outwardly most depressing neighbourhoods in England. We admire too, of course, and yet more the few who worked so hard to keep St. Clement`s going with so much against them.

I sympathise with the disappointment felt when it was closed. Nobody wanted this to happen. ...........................



Any comments...any memories?

i lived next door but one to george long and chapter 12 is the time i can relate to, we left in 1962 but the people where the salt of the earth!! happy memories, thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jim Buck

i lived next door but one to george long and chapter 12 is the time i can relate to, we left in 1962 but the people where the salt of the earth!! happy memories, thanks

I remember going to public meetings in St Clements Hall. One must have been around 1960. It was a showing of, an anti-communist, propaganda film. What attracted the audience, though, was the Francis the Talking Mule feature, which preceded the propaganda. I recall too, that some teenager entertained us with his rendition of Cliff Richard's 'Travellin' Light'---which was the very first time I heard that song.

Another, meeting took place shortly after Park Hill Flats was opened; it was about housing. I recall a window-cleaner (Mr Carder) protesting the fact that 'Czechs & Poles are being given flats on Park Hill' (things don't change much do they?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was interested to read this history. My father and grandfather were both organists there in the 40's and was disappointed to not read their names there. I have several parish magazines with my grandad's name on the front from 1947.

Susan Turner

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...