SheffieldHistory.co.uk Day Excursions

Stuart0742

1952 beer 1s 2d ...

To do the calculation based on £2 we need some 1952 prices for beer, fish and chips (or in Stuarts case, just chips, - he doesn't like fish) and mushy peas.

1952 beer 1s 2d ...

You can get a lot of beer for under £2 then.

Just need the cost of fish, chips and peas now

Take the cost of the trip and the fish and chips off of the £2, divide the change remaining out of £2 by 1s 2d and thats how many pints we can have.

A pint of beer only 1s 2d :blink: in modern money that is only around 6p, - 6p a pint!!!! :o

6d's worth of chips would feed a family, so 2d or maybe 3d for chips, fish, guessing at 8-10d.

Harry Ramsdens sold 10,500 in one day recently at the original 1952 prices - unfortunately I can't find out what those prices were.

6d's worth of chips would feed a family, so 2d or maybe 3d for chips, fish, guessing at 8-10d.

Harry Ramsdens sold 10,500 in one day recently at the original 1952 prices - unfortunately I can't find out what those prices were.

Looks like £2 is plenty, should also get a donkey ride and a stick of rock

and some change to save for the next trip

Looks like £2 is plenty, should also get a donkey ride and a stick of rock

and some change to save for the next trip

Skegvegas rock, -

Pink and white and a bit minty

Unfortunately, due to spelling problems, it says SKEGNESS all the way through it (or SSENGEKS if you look at it from the wrong end)

Got to be worth a penny or two

Skegvegas rock, -

Pink and white and a bit minty

Unfortunately, due to spelling problems, it says SKEGNESS all the way through it (or SSENGEKS if you look at it from the wrong end)

Got to be worth a penny or two

I have never thought about the letters through rock being spelt backwards at one end :huh:

I have never thought about the letters through rock being spelt backwards at one end :huh:

Logically they should be spelt backwards at the other end, - but each letter would also be mirror image reversed (laterally inverted) as well so the letters would look wrong.

I've got to go and buy some rock now just to find out if the letters are reversed at the other end.

..and I can't eat it, too hard, too sweet, bad for your teeth and not the sort of thing a diabetic should be having.

Here are a few sporting excursions from 24th Feb 1962

38/- seems a bit expensive to go to Ipswich

I've just polished off a rock curry with bombay candy-floss ... probably.

... and not the sort of thing a diabetic should be having.

Me Mam says I'm not allowed to go, on account of the fact I haven't been born yet.

Here are a few sporting excursions from 24th Feb 1962

38/- seems a bit expensive to go to Ipswich

Me Mam says I'm not allowed to go, on account of the fact I haven't been born yet.

..and me mam says I can't go either on account of the fact that there was a gale just over a week ago and our street is in a right mess.

..and me mam says I can't go either on account of the fact that there was a gale just over a week ago and our street is in a right mess.

Well spotted the rest will be posted soon :rolleyes:

Well spotted the rest will be posted soon :rolleyes:

After this comment and last nights conversation I think I know where you probably got this excursion advert from

Guest bus man

I think ill do birmingham but ill sneak off and ignore the races there should still be some GW steam about on stuff from west country and lots of birmingham ct buses and midland red buses. please dont tell my mother as I would be 22 months old at the time

Summer has arrived, so its time for an day trip.

So we are off to Skegness by the LNER

No takers for Skegness

what about a trip to London

Midnight departure home, a good night in London then

Another trip to Skegness, but this one is a little different. Rods and lines at the ready