SheffieldHistory.co.uk Day Excursions

Stuart0742

Sorry if Iam been thick but doesnt it say 1956 in the bottom left hand corner of the flyer ?

Stuart has mentioned this in post #21 but I had missed it as my eyesight is not what it used to be.

Must invest in some new glasses :rolleyes:

Oops, shouldn't have said that :o , Stuarts wife works for Specsavers lol

Trips galore October (albeit 1960)

Sunday the 2nd Blackpool Illuminations

All local stations

Monday/Tuesday 3rd/4th Nottingham Races

Wednesday/Thursday 5th/6th York Races

Saturday 8th Chelsea v Wednesday from Wadsley Bridge, Victoria, Darnall & Woodhouse

Plus Anglers Trains on Saturdays and Sundays and special Weekend trains to Blackpool.

Trips galore October (albeit 1960)

Sunday the 2nd Blackpool Illuminations

All local stations

Monday/Tuesday 3rd/4th Nottingham Races

Wednesday/Thursday 5th/6th York Races

Saturday 8th Chelsea v Wednesday from Wadsley Bridge, Victoria, Darnall & Woodhouse

Plus Anglers Trains on Saturdays and Sundays and special Weekend trains to Blackpool.

So which one do you fancy?

At those prices and with a bit of good timing we could go on ALL of them lol

So which one do you fancy?

At those prices and with a bit of good timing we could go on ALL of them lol

It will have to be Blackpool.

Not bothered about seeing Wednesday at Chelsea, but does anybody know what the score was.

Could go racing to York I suppose

Not bothered about seeing Wednesday at Chelsea, but does anybody know what the score was.

Could go to all of them on alternate days, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th. No problem.

Wouldn't cost that much.

According to Statto.com (http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/1960-1961/results) Wednesday didn't play at Chelsea on 8th October 1960 - in fact they didn't play a game on that Saturday. Clearly there is too much information out there on this interweb thingy, and I am sad enough to look for it!

Wouldn't have minded a trip to Blackpool, especially as these excursions often took strange routes.

According to Statto.com (http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/1960-1961/results) Wednesday didn't play at Chelsea on 8th October 1960 - in fact they didn't play a game on that Saturday. Clearly there is too much information out there on this interweb thingy, and I am sad enough to look for it!

Wouldn't have minded a trip to Blackpool, especially as these excursions often took strange routes.

Typical BR a trip to a match that did not happen lol

Soccerstats.com agree with statto.com

could it have been postponed, only 8 matches on 8th October according to Soccerstats.com

That's one trip less for us to go on then :(

Still got the other three though.

Yes, I've been to Blackpool by some strange routes by rail. I'm sure I have mentioned one of them previously on here somewhere.

The year is sort of irrelevant in the context of the leaflet, at the time people would assume it was the coming Easter, so our trip starts next Easter. :)

However there is a clue to the year at the bottom of the flyer

"London February 1956"

As to the route I am not sure, at Cudworth its on the Ex LMR lines, it would probably go north of Manchester. I need guidance here,

Several choices of route for the Southport train, assuming no reversal is made anywhere. From Cudworth the likely route is to Wakefield (Kirkgate) and then Mirfield, after which the choice really kicks in:

via Calder Valley, Copy Pit, Accrington, Blackburn and down towards Burcough,

via Calder Valley, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton, Hindley and Wigan,

via Calder Valley, Rochdale, Manchester Victoria and Wigan

via Huddersfield, Ashton, Manchester Victoria and Wigan.

to name a few.

Would be a fine trip - bit of a mystery tour before reaching Southport, and hopefully a different route back.

2 Trips on this one 22nd and 29th May 1960

Deepcar to Cleethorpes

&

Wadsley Bridge to Cleethorpes

Not particularly keen on Cleethorpes, but the Holiday Express sounds more interesting - lots of track miles!. Wonder why one excursion starts at Deepcar, the other at Wadsley Bridge, and why Oughty Bridge (the railway's spelling, not mine!) is left out of the first excursion.

I like the traffic manager's address: The Farm Buildings sounds rather rural for 20th century Sheffield!

Not particularly keen on Cleethorpes, but the Holiday Express sounds more interesting - lots of track miles!. Wonder why one excursion starts at Deepcar, the other at Wadsley Bridge, and why Oughty Bridge (the railway's spelling, not mine!) is left out of the first excursion.

I like the traffic manager's address: The Farm Buildings sounds rather rural for 20th century Sheffield!

Not keen on Cleethorpes madannie77 :o

Its great, - when you get off the train at Cleethorpes station you are practically straight on the beach lol

Full Adress is The Farm Buildings, Granville Road, Sheffield 2.

This is an old farm, still there until the mid 1960's.

SteveHB has a thread about it and his visits there a young boy somewhere on Sheffield History.

2 Trips on this one 22nd and 29th May 1960

Deepcar to Cleethorpes

&

Wadsley Bridge to Cleethorpes

I like the look of the one to Liverpool "with steamer cruise"

Makes you wonder what the steamer cruise is.

On a day trip it won't be the steam packet company ship to the Isle of Man or the one that goes to Dublin in the Irish Republic.

More likely to be the "Ferry across the Mersey", but as this is 1960 it would be without them playing that record by Gerry & the Pacemakers :(

The ferry goes to Birkenhead (not really a place to visit) but by 1960 it was served by 2 relatively new, modern tunnels the Kingsway and Queensway Mersey tunnels which would be a lot quicker than the ferry.

Presumably the steam cruise just sails up and down the Mersey giving those iconic views of the City with the Liver building and the Cunard building and the docks (yes they were still there in 1960, although the electric overhead railway which served them had gone in 1959). Further inland upstrem in the Mersey is the rough industrial heartland past the Dingle, and you would be able to see what the Liverpudlians call "the Cassie". This is a part of the Mersey called "the cast iron shore" which is mentioned in the Beatles "Glass Onion" on their 1968 "White Album"

Well here's another clue for you all

The Walrus was Paul

Standing on the cast iron shore yeah!

OK, its a good un' - get that trip to Liverpool booked instead of Cleethorpes.

Madannie77 doesn't like Cleethorpes anyway, - she may prefer Liverpool and a Mersey cruise.

Hmmm...

I'm thinking of starting a new website, going to call it

www.liverpoolhistory.co.uk

As I never realised I knew so much about the place!

I like the look of the one to Liverpool "with steamer cruise"

Makes you wonder what the steamer cruise is.

On a day trip it won't be the steam packet company ship to the Isle of Man or the one that goes to Dublin in the Irish Republic.

More likely to be the "Ferry across the Mersey", but as this is 1960 it would be without them playing that record by Gerry & the Pacemakers :(

Probably a trip across to New Brighton and a trip back on a bus through the tunnel.

Probably a trip across to New Brighton and a trip back on a bus through the tunnel.

That sounds OK,

Looks like a nice little trip that does.

Full Adress is The Farm Buildings, Granville Road, Sheffield 2.

This is an old farm, still there until the mid 1960's.

SteveHB has a thread about it and his visits there a young boy somewhere on Sheffield History.

Here's the link to Steve's farm thread

The Farm

It may sound rural but it is very close to town.

I think actually at the bottom end on Farm Road (unadopted) their is a sort of railwaymens club. Fits with the rail address being at the farm.

Here's the link to Steve's farm thread

The Farm

It may sound rural but it is very close to town.

I think actually at the bottom end on Farm Road (unadopted) their is a sort of railwaymens club. Fits with the rail address being at the farm.

Courtesy of Google SV

Now Called Farm Rd Social Club, previously it was the Railway Staff Social Club, it may have been rebuilt in recent years

That sounds OK,

Looks like a nice little trip that does.

It could have been a bit more substantial: in 1960 the Liverpool and North Wales steamship company were still runing paddle steamers along the north coast of Wales to Llandudno and Menai Bridge. Looking at some of the info here a trip to Llandudno and back could be fitted into a day trip easily. The 1956 Souvenir Guide and 1958 timetable are particularly interesting.

Regarding Cleethorpes, I am not a lover of any of those sort of seaside towns except Blackpool, which I only like because of the trams :)

Having said that, Cleethorpes had (and still has) the 15 inch guage Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, and until 4th June 1960 (just after the excursions) had trolleybuses, so I might have had something to do!

Courtesy of Google SV

Now Called Farm Rd Social Club, previously it was the Railway Staff Social Club, it may have been rebuilt in recent years

Thats the place Stuart.

I think the wall on the left has Silver Blades on Queens Road on the other side of it.

It could have been a bit more substantial: in 1960 the Liverpool and North Wales steamship company were still runing paddle steamers along the north coast of Wales to Llandudno and Menai Bridge. Looking at some of the info here a trip to Llandudno and back could be fitted into a day trip easily. The 1956 Souvenir Guide and 1958 timetable are particularly interesting.

Regarding Cleethorpes, I am not a lover of any of those sort of seaside towns except Blackpool, which I only like because of the trams :)

Having said that, Cleethorpes had (and still has) the 15 inch guage Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, and until 4th June 1960 (just after the excursions) had trolleybuses, so I might have had something to do!

Cleethorpes Light Railway

Although this is in Cleethorpes today in 1960 it would have been well to the south of the main beach and attractions in a very posh area.

Did you know they have a Sheffield sign up in their station?

Just as you are not keen on Cleethorpes I am not so keen on North Wales so all of a sudden that steamer trip from Liverpool doesn't sound such a good idea, - perhaps I can just spend the day in Liverpool?

Find the Welsh in North Wales (the sons of Owen Glendower?) unfriendly towards the English even though the 2 countries have been united for around 600 years. Also a Welshman seriously fell out with me when he asked me proudly in Snowdonia what I thought of their wonderful National Park.

To me it was hilly like the Derbyshire Peak District but was very dark as the underlying rock is slate while Derbyshire is brighter as the rock tends to be limestone.

My answer to the question "What do you think of Snowdonia?"

Was "Its a bit like Derbyshire but not as clean"

Did not go down well at all :rolleyes:

What a bout a trip to Belle Vue or even into Manchester

6 bob from Victoria, save a shiny 6 pence and walk to Wadsley Bridge. :)

8th August 1956

What a bout a trip to Belle Vue or even into Manchester

6 bob from Victoria, save a shiny 6 pence and walk to Wadsley Bridge. :)

8th August 1956

When we get to Belle Vue do we have to pay extra to go in the zoo / amusement park?

If so how much does that cost.

My dad said that one of the funniest things he ever saw was when his uncle Stan took him to Belle Vue zoo and a tiger pi**ed on him through the cage bars.

When we get to Belle Vue do we have to pay extra to go in the zoo / amusement park?

If so how much does that cost.

My dad said that one of the funniest things he ever saw was when his uncle Stan took him to Belle Vue zoo and a tiger pi**ed on him through the cage bars.

It does say on the flyer, but just in case you have not got your specs on, there's a special rate of 1/3 and 6d for kids.