SheffieldHistory.co.uk Day Excursions

Stuart0742

Right boys and girls, lets have a trip to the seaside by Rail

Available on 15th August we have the choice of 2 destinations, and to help people living in the south of the city both will start from Heeley Station.

Vote for your choice by reply

Both these trips started quite late, but also returned quite late, 12:40am in the Bridlington trip, given that they were on a Sunday, not good for work the following day, or would it have been the works weeks.

The railways certainly did not subsidise that excursion.

In 2007, £0 11s 0d from 1954 is worth

£10.86 using the retail price index.

£29.99 using average earnings.

Citation

Lawrence H. Officer, "Purchasing Power of British Pounds from 1264 to 2007," MeasuringWorth, 2008. URL http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/

For a working class family it would have been a non-starter - anyone got the fares for the charabancs to Blackpool and Brid?

Looking at it from this point yes it does seem expensive, but how much would the equivalent be on the coach.

Who were these excursions aimed at?

Would a day excursion in August be aimed at people who could not afford a week's holiday?

As far as I remember from the Sixties day excursions were popular.

Guest bus man

August 15th would have been the middle Sunday in the fortnight shut down for Sheffield steel works

I will have to go to Blackpool :

Its Blackpool Central, Which shut in the late 1960's (Its now the central coach/car park - only the toilet block remain)

It's from Heeley - I assume that the loco will be from Millhouses and the stock will have been picked up from Heeley Carriage sidings - now the Heeley Retail park.

The Marton route and other tram routes will still be open together with the railway to Fleetwood , not to mention the pre-war buses still in service and we should just get back in time to catch the last tram from City to Woodseats.

PS I assume the time machine will let me take my digital camera as well ?

right I'm off to get my thermos and duffle bag and my ABC.

If we can find it - Saint Monday might provide some enlightenment. Slap bang in the middle of Works Weeks methinks.

August 15th would have been the middle Sunday in the fortnight shut down for Sheffield steel works

I will have to go to Blackpool :

Its Blackpool Central, Which shut in the late 1960's (Its now the central coach/car park - only the toilet block remain)

It's from Heeley - I assume that the loco will be from Millhouses and the stock will have been picked up from Heeley Carriage sidings - now the Heeley Retail park.

The Marton route and other tram routes will still be open together with the railway to Fleetwood , not to mention the pre-war buses still in service and we should just get back in time to catch the last tram from City to Woodseats.

PS I assume the time machine will let me take my digital camera as well ?

right I'm off to get my thermos and duffle bag and my ABC.

Sounds like you're off on a cracking day out Busman - hope the weather's kind! Which route do you think the excursion will take?

Guest bus man

Sounds like you're off on a cracking day out Busman - hope the weather's kind! Which route do you think the excursion will take?

Mmmm I thought of that not sure as my 1950s route knowledge isnt brilliant , I will ask an old railway I know what he thinks unfortunatley the person who would tell us an old Millhouses driver as now signed on to that loco shed in the sky - where all the locos are smooth and the coal is always good .

Mmmm I thought of that not sure as my 1950s route knowledge isnt brilliant , I will ask an old railway I know what he thinks unfortunatley the person who would tell us an old Millhouses driver as now signed on to that loco shed in the sky - where all the locos are smooth and the coal is always good .

After the success of the previous trip, another series of trips are being planned, so put 31st July 1961 to 11th Aug 1961 in your diaries, details to follow.

As promised earlier, the next programme of excursions

Here we go

A varied choice of destinations you have to admit, something for everybody

Bonus

On all trips there is an optional meal, ham salad, bread & butter, a fruit pie and cheese & Biscuits all for 6/6 (32.5p for any young members). What more could anybody want :)

The railways certainly did not subsidise that excursion.

In 2007, £0 11s 0d from 1954 is worth

£10.86 using the retail price index.

£29.99 using average earnings.

Citation

Lawrence H. Officer, "Purchasing Power of British Pounds from 1264 to 2007," MeasuringWorth, 2008. URL http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/

For a working class family it would have been a non-starter - anyone got the fares for the charabancs to Blackpool and Brid?

The ABC coach guide for Summer 1953 quotes day return fares for Sheffield to Bridlington of 13s 3d and Sheffield to Blackpool of 14s 6d. The only timetable for these routes in the guide is SUT, so I assume these are the SUT fares. These are for SUT's regular services, so perhaps not strictly comparable with the railway excursion fares.

On all trips there is an optional meal, ham salad, bread & butter, a fruit pie and cheese & Biscuits all for 6/6 (32.5p for any young members). What more could anybody want :)

Six and a tanner, - that's extortionate! You could have had school dinners for a week (5 two course cooked dinners) for two and a tanner (6d per day),

Guest bus man

Cant believe this I was at the NRM in york on Thursday and I found the plate from the farm on display

I DONT BELIVE IT

Anyway Iam off to get my bag ready for a busy week but as its 1961 ill have to catch the bus to town I asume the time machine will let me use my digital camera I have decided on

Llandudno for the sea trip and coaches that ill be there proably some SUT and the railway stuff plus the great orme buses

SCARBORUGH

Seven hours should be time for a trip up to whitby by train as the line as now shut I might even try to get to pickering on what is now the North Yorks moor line

WESTON SUPER MARE

Just for the steam traction

any way i must go ive got to go te davys to get my packing up I was going to tesco on abbeydale but its a steam depot !

Cant believe this I was at the NRM in york on Thursday and I found the plate from the farm on display

I DONT BELIVE IT

Anyway Iam off to get my bag ready for a busy week but as its 1961 ill have to catch the bus to town I asume the time machine will let me use my digital camera I have decided on

Llandudno for the sea trip and coaches that ill be there proably some SUT and the railway stuff plus the great orme buses

SCARBORUGH

Seven hours should be time for a trip up to whitby by train as the line as now shut I might even try to get to pickering on what is now the North Yorks moor line

WESTON SUPER MARE

Just for the steam traction

any way i must go ive got to go te davys to get my packing up I was going to tesco on abbeydale but its a steam depot !

A tour of Yorkshire by closed railways, there's a thought, get your old timetables out, must start from Sheffield or a local station

Guest bus man

I ve tried to find these on six bells jn the tour site but cant ill have a better look later , however, one thing juiststruck me the chester tour lves at 8am but hte windsor and llandudno leaves at 1030am - odd that the longer journeys leve latter indeed the scarborough leaves earlier

Guest bus man

A tour of Yorkshire by closed railways, there's a thought, get your old timetables out, must start from Sheffield or a local station

Mmmm thats an idea now wheres my rail atlas of disused lines

Advance bookings now being taken for Easter Monday

Mid morning departure to Southport (10:30)

Over 8 hours in the resort

10:25pm departure, plenty of time for a few pints, then sleep it off on the journey home

All for 10/9

Advance bookings now being taken for Easter Monday

Mid morning departure to Southport (10:30)

Over 8 hours in the resort

10:25pm departure, plenty of time for a few pints, then sleep it off on the journey home

All for 10/9

Date given but no year.

Must be pre-Beeching as the train sets off from Sheffield and makes 9 stops in the first hour at piddling little stations before going for a further two and a half hours without a stop before arriving at Southport

(must be the one on the Lancashire coast near Formby point, it used to be a seaside town but build up of deposits washed from the Ribble to the north and the Mersey to the south mean that today the town is about 3 miles inland)

No stops in the Greater Manchester area or the industrial heartland of King Cotton towns?

Must have had an interesting route.

At least you didn't have to get on a bus in the middle of Manchester to transfer between Victoria and Picadilly stations like you do now.

Date given but no year.

Must be pre-Beeching as the train sets off from Sheffield and makes 9 stops in the first hour at piddling little stations before going for a further two and a half hours without a stop before arriving at Southport

(must be the one on the Lancashire coast near Formby point, it used to be a seaside town but build up of deposits washed from the Ribble to the north and the Mersey to the south mean that today the town is about 3 miles inland)

No stops in the Greater Manchester area or the industrial heartland of King Cotton towns?

Must have had an interesting route.

At least you didn't have to get on a bus in the middle of Manchester to transfer between Victoria and Picadilly stations like you do now.

The year is sort of irrelevant in the context of the leaflet, at the time people would assume it was the coming Easter, so our trip starts next Easter. :)

However there is a clue to the year at the bottom of the flyer

"London February 1956"

As to the route I am not sure, at Cudworth its on the Ex LMR lines, it would probably go north of Manchester. I need guidance here,

The year is sort of irrelevant in the context of the leaflet, at the time people would assume it was the coming Easter, so our trip starts next Easter. :)

However there is a clue to the year at the bottom of the flyer

"London February 1956"

As to the route I am not sure, at Cudworth its on the Ex LMR lines, it would probably go north of Manchester. I need guidance here,

Once went to Blackpool on the train by an interesting route.

Set off in the "wrong direction", going northeastwards instead of the expected westwards towards Manchester. I remember the first stop was actually Rotherham.

The route went in a large anticlockwise loop up through Yorkshire and crossed the border into Lancashire somewhere near Hebden Bridge, passed Blackburn which is well north of Manchester, ran on to Preston and then the usual bit across the fylde to Blackpool.

It took a long time, covered more miles than was really necessary but I used it because it was a Sheffield to Blackpool through train direct route and avoided that horrible station change by bus in Manchester.

Quite a while since I last went to Southport

(strange name for a town on the west coast, which has no port and is actually north of the major industrial cities (Liverpool, Manchester) which it serves as a local holiday resort)

I remember Southport was a very nice place but it was a long walk from the promenade to the beach due to that longshore drift problem mentioned in my previous post, and if the tide was out it was almost the same distance again to get to the sea.

Yes Southport was OK, - get that 10/9 train booked for next Easter Monday lol

Once went to Blackpool on the train by an interesting route.

Set off in the "wrong direction", going northeastwards instead of the expected westwards towards Manchester. I remember the first stop was actually Rotherham.

The route went in a large anticlockwise loop up through Yorkshire and crossed the border into Lancashire somewhere near Hebden Bridge, passed Blackburn which is well north of Manchester, ran on to Preston and then the usual bit across the fylde to Blackpool.

It took a long time, covered more miles than was really necessary but I used it because it was a Sheffield to Blackpool through train direct route and avoided that horrible station change by bus in Manchester.

Quite a while since I last went to Southport

(strange name for a town on the west coast, which has no port and is actually north of the major industrial cities (Liverpool, Manchester) which it serves as a local holiday resort)

I remember Southport was a very nice place but it was a long walk from the promenade to the beach due to that longshore drift problem mentioned in my previous post, and if the tide was out it was almost the same distance again to get to the sea.

Yes Southport was OK, - get that 10/9 train booked for next Easter Monday lol

It was the late return that caught my eye, almost a full nights boozing in Southport coupled with late buses when back in Sheffield.

It was the late return that caught my eye, almost a full nights boozing in Southport coupled with late buses when back in Sheffield.

It also says that you have to return on the same day that you depart, - and of course you don't, - you get back home in the early hours of the following morning (Easter Tuesday).

As I remember it Southport in common with many Lancashire towns had a high proportion of Thwaites boozers, - at the time a real ale approved by CAMRA so at least the beer should be OK (even better if thats at 1956 prices as well)