SheffieldHistory.co.uk Day Excursions

Stuart0742

It does say on the flyer, but just in case you have not got your specs on, there's a special rate of 1/3 and 6d for kids.

So it must have cost uncle Stan 2/6 for himself, my dad and his brother (1 adult + 2 kids)

But I bet it cost him more than that to get his clothes cleaned after that tiger did its stuff. lol

Guest bus man

Damm the last trolley bus ran on the 7th Aug 1955 dam dam dam , any way think ill go to manchester, or both but some time in town centre it will of course be a class 77 electric heopefully tommy.

Must visit victoria I assume the time machine will allow me to take my digital camera must remember to photogrpah the 48 &49 services to sheffield and get a phoot of the war memorial just inside victoria, Rught Iam off to pack my duffle bag and my ABC plus ill get some shots of sheffield trams and buses on the way to victoria

Forgot I can do central as well cant I

Damm the last trolley bus ran on the 7th Aug 1955 dam dam dam , any way think ill go to manchester, or both but some time in town centre it will of course be a class 77 electric heopefully tommy.

Must visit victoria I assume the time machine will allow me to take my digital camera must remember to photogrpah the 48 &49 services to sheffield and get a phoot of the war memorial just inside victoria, Rught Iam off to pack my duffle bag and my ABC plus ill get some shots of sheffield trams and buses on the way to victoria

Forgot I can do central as well cant I

Never fear, bus man. Manchester trolleybuses ran until 30th December 1966. Don't forget to photograph the wonderful tiles map at Victoria, and maybe find time to visit London Road Station as well as Central.

Or you could just wander around Manchester and watch all the different operators' buses in the city centre (the sort of weird thing I would do!)

Guest bus man

Never fear, bus man. Manchester trolleybuses ran until 30th December 1966. Don't forget to photograph the wonderful tiles map at Victoria, and maybe find time to visit London Road Station as well as Central.

Or you could just wander around Manchester and watch all the different operators' buses in the city centre (the sort of weird thing I would do!)

Mmmm accept this , however the artilce I checked last night had the date I put above, I cant find the article now :(:(

Any way Ive got the trolley buses to play with GOOODY lol

Mmmm accept this , however the artilce I checked last night had the date I put above, I cant find the article now :(:(

Any way Ive got the trolley buses to play with GOOODY lol

A bit of digging in The Manchester Bus by Michael Eyre & Chris Heaps suggests that the first of Manchester's trolleybus routes to be abandoned was in August 1955.

Might have a ride on the trolleybuses myself - a bit of a novelty for a Sheffield Lass!

Richard mentioned in another topic recently the price of a return ticket from Newcastle to London.

Well if you are able to travel between November 1977 and March 1978 we can offer a weekend in London for £13.50

Richard mentioned in another topic recently the price of a return ticket from Newcastle to London.

Well if you are able to travel between November 1977 and March 1978 we can offer a weekend in London for £13.50

That's a pretty good offer given that it includes 2 nights stay in a 3 star hotel in Kensington on top of the rail transport.

Book it!

That's a pretty good offer given that it includes 2 nights stay in a 3 star hotel in Kensington on top of the rail transport.

Book it!

Don't get to excited, its actually 1 nights accommodation , Saturday night.

Don't get to excited, its actually 1 nights accommodation , Saturday night.

Yes but you get a breakfast as well.

It could be an "all you can eat" breakfast, - we're good at those. ;-)

Yes but you get a breakfast as well.

It could be an "all you can eat" breakfast, - we're good at those. ;-)

Right then, I'll book it

A bit of a works outing, all the active members of Sheffield History who can get to the Midland Station early on a Saturday morning (1977 - 1978)

Right then, I'll book it

A bit of a works outing, all the active members of Sheffield History who can get to the Midland Station early on a Saturday morning (1977 - 1978)

OK, remember the subtitle of this topic is "local history time machine.

I have actually got a time machine, - I'm wearing it on my wrist! lol

Its a long time since our last Day Trip, some of our new members will have missed previous trips.

So today's offering is a 1964 Sunday trip to Cleethorpes, starting way out at Penistone, calling at Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield Victoria, Darnall and Woodhouse.

No good to me: the only thing of interest in Cleethorpes was the trolleybuses, which finished in 1960 :(.

The starting time is quite late (compared with a lot of more recent excursions), with a corresponding late return from Cleethorpes.

No good to me: the only thing of interest in Cleethorpes was the trolleybuses, which finished in 1960 :(.

The starting time is quite late (compared with a lot of more recent excursions), with a corresponding late return from Cleethorpes.

You get 7 hours in Cleethorpes which is more than enough time for a paddle (if the tide is in) a go on the amusements, fish and chips then a couple of pints and back home.

You get 7 hours in Cleethorpes which is more than enough time for a paddle (if the tide is in) a go on the amusements, fish and chips then a couple of pints and back home.

Is the tide ever in at Cleethorpes? It might take seven hours to get to the sea and back.

Is the tide ever in at Cleethorpes? It might take seven hours to get to the sea and back.

No

Although there IS a tide at Cleethorpes it is at the mouth of a wide river (the Humber) so the water as well as going in and out also moves sideways along the beach.

At one time (yes in the 1960's even) the River carried a lot of mud, chemical waste and treated sewage so at that time Cleethorpes beach was hardly the cleanest you could choose to bathe and paddle on.

No

Although there IS a tide at Cleethorpes it is at the mouth of a wide river (the Humber) so the water as well as going in and out also moves sideways along the beach.

At one time (yes in the 1960's even) the River carried a lot of mud, chemical waste and treated sewage so at that time Cleethorpes beach was hardly the cleanest you could choose to bathe and paddle on.

Right then

No paddling keep out of the water kids

We have not had a trip for a few months, so what about a trip to a London Theatre

(Source said 1986?)

Roll up Roll up for a day trip to Skeggy for 50p, save 10p and get on a Retford

81/2 hours in Skeg-Vegas for 10 bob, now I have £2 to spend how many pints can I have, remember will need fish chips and mushy peas as well for tea.

I'm up for that, what year do I need to set my time machine for ? I suspect you have £2-00-0 to spend and don't forget a tip for the driver in the budget.

I'm up for that, what year do I need to set my time machine for ? I suspect you have £2-00-0 to spend and don't forget a tip for the driver in the budget.

Flyer says 1952

Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough - any Acts on at Skeggy in Summer Season 1952 ?

Flyer says 1952

To do the calculation based on £2 we need some 1952 prices for beer, fish and chips (or in Stuarts case, just chips, - he doesn't like fish) and mushy peas.