Sheffield Castle

Bayleaf

Guest carlie167

Sheffield Castle

"I cannot hail thee, tho' thou liv'st in story,

Thy turrets and thy towers are all gone,

Little is left to indicate thy glory

But old tradition, and this little song.

Spectre of times! Where are thy relics resting ?

Where are thy battlements and lordly hall ?

Nor vestage here, nor stone with noble crest in,

Nor remnant of a buttress or a wall.

No effigy supreme, however broken.

No tottering gable in the sunlight glow,

No grey remembrance that would be a token

To take us back to ages long ago".

Sheffield poet Francis Buchanan.

How lovely, but also sad to think that any remains are hidden from view.

Maybe if the area ever does get developed the remains might be open to us all.

Fingers crossed eh!!

How lovely, but also sad to think that any remains are hidden from view.

Maybe if the area ever does get developed the remains might be open to us all.

Fingers crossed eh!!

Things are afoot Carlie!

The Council are setting up a formal working group to investigate the possibility of excavating the remains when the markets have moved. The ideal would be to create a public open space so the public can investigate and enjoy the remains, with educational boards and visits etc.

At a previous meeting of the informal working group, South Yorkshire Archaeology Service suggested that it would be beneficial to commission an archaeological borehole survey of the existing Market loading bay and adjoining car park areas. Apparently Yorkshire South Tourism have agreed potentially to fund this work and, subject to confirmation of funding, tender prices being acceptable and to final approvals, it is hoped it will be carried out in the spring/early summer.

There is further good news in that ARCUS have been awarded some funding by Sheffield University to produce their own independent Strategic Plan for the site. This work will commence by looking at the current Master Plan, at known documentation and previous work and at identifying gaps in knowledge.

So watch this (or rather that) space.

Guest Trefcon

I was given this today by the guy who takes the 'tour' of the ruin's.

Apparently there might be 75% of the footings/walls/etc surviving! That is some footprint !

Apologies for the scans they are as i was given, could we some how find out in what publication they appeared ?

Dean.

I was given this today by the guy who takes the 'tour' of the ruin's.

Apparently there might be 75% of the footings/walls/etc surviving! That is some footprint !

Apologies for the scans they are as i was given, could we some how find out in what publication they appeared ?

Dean.

http://www.northernlifestyle.com/

Contact this bunch ...

he has written for then; presume it's not newsprint ...

Full rendered image of Sheffield Castle here :

http://arcus.group.shef.ac.uk/sheff_castle.php?p=cs

I'm a little unsure about the word "Full" in this context, but ...

Extract :

ARCUS has recently completed a reconstruction of Sheffield Castle, this digital environment is based on the most up to date knowledge we currently have on the castle. Future work on the castle will add to this interpretation and the digital model will adapt and change to reflect new information. We plan to make the model available online, this will enable people to see how new discoveries help change our perceptions and interpretations of past landscapes and structures.

Any updates please as too what is, or isn't happening ?

It's gone very quiet, probably because the new Markets development off the Moor has been held up for some time. Things do seem to be happening down there lately though, so perhaps there'll be some news soon.

Watch this space!

As many of you will know, someone unknown (I personally think it's someone from Leeds ) has lodged a request with English Heritage that the Castle Market building should be listed. This would mean that the proposals to demolish it and excavate the remains of Sheffield castle would have to be abandoned. Apparently the proposal for listing is under consideration, and following the listing of Park Hill flats, listing can't be ruled out.

I urge anyone who opposes the listing and would like to see the castle proposal go ahead, to let their feelings be known to English Heritage. The email address is

yorkshire@english-heritage.org.uk.

I've stuck my two penn'orth in along the lines below.

Dear Sirs,

I understand that English Heritage is considering a proposal to list the Castle Market building in Sheffield. I would like to express my strong opposition on the following grounds;

The building itself is of no architectural value. It has been substantially altered both inside and out over time, and is not therefore representative of its period.

The building stands on the remains of Sheffield Castle, which was the home of the Earls of Shrewsbury, and served as the prison of Mary Queen of Scots for almost 15 years. It is therefore a site of significant historical interest, and it is the proposal of the City Council, with cross-party support, to demolish the Market building and excavate the castle remains, which are substantial, eventually developing a public open space on the site in which the public will have access to the castle remains.

Further, archaeological investigation in the past has shown the presence of earlier, Saxon, remains on the site, which may be linked to Earl Waltheof, an important figure in English history.

I would therefore ask that the proposal to list the present building be declined, so that the earlier history of the city can be revealed in a way that will engender the cultural and historical development of the area.

It is also possible to post your comments on The BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire Web page.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8798000/8798438.stm

Guest Trefcon

A couple of links re the Castle here -

http://www.archive.org/stream/castlesofengland02mack#page/256/mode/1up

http://www.philological.bham.ac.uk/cambrit/yorkseng.html#york3

There's a report downloadable as a .pdf on possibilities for the castle's future here .Richard may recognise some of the examples!

There's a report downloadable as a .pdf on possibilities for the castle's future here .Richard may recognise some of the examples!

Nice work; yes, I know the local thing, Sheffield should do better.

Talbot papers, College of Arms, v. G, f. 150, et seq.

The inventory was published, along with a paper by Stephen I. Tucker, Esq, Rouge Croix, on

"The Descent of the Manor of Sheffield"

in the Archaeological Society's Journal for 1874, vol. 30, pp. 237-277. The inventory is headed thus:-

"A brief inventory [of my] Lord's household stuff [at Sheffield] Castle, and Sheffield Lodge, within the charge of John Deckinson and Wm. Kettericke, the wardroppe men and others, seen and viewed the 18th day of June, 1582".

--------------------------------------------

Reproduced exactly as I found it, no idea if anyone can locate the article, here's hoping; at least we have a detailed description of where/when it was published.

Here you go Richard! And here's

A Breife Inventory....Lords Howsholde...Castell & Thess Ladye... the charge of Johne Deckenson and Wm. Kettelicke the wardroppe men & others, sene & vewed the xviiith of June, 1582, an' o reg' Eliz',&c.,xxiiiito :

Hangings. – Imp'mis. Hangings w'ch were brought from London, wrought of the storye of civill, peces v.

And one other hanging of the same sort was sent to Wingfield to Peter Tampeter for to be mendyd, i.

Item. Hangings of imagerye w'ch were for the chappell, peces vii.

Item other hangings of imagerye, peces vii

It'm hangings of Farrest worke, peces xxxiv

It'm Hangings that came from Harwick of Forrest worke, peces ii.

Item hangings of ye storye of Hercules, peces vi.

Item hangings of the storrye of the Passion, peces ii

Item hangings of the bulls head, i.

Item hangings of arryk worke, i.

Item hangings of small leaves, peces xiii, whereof xi are olde peces, xiii.

It, one olde hanginge of leaves paste service, i

Item hangings of Darnipe, [1] peces xi.

It' one olde hanging of Darnipe, i, past service

It' ii little pece of darnipe.

S'm' of ye nomb'r of hangings.

[M]otley hangings.-It'm hangings of motley, peces xv.

[ Wyn]dowe peces.-It' windowe peces of motley, vii.

[Ch]ymney clothes.-

It' chymney clothes of imagereye, peces viii.

It' longe chymney clothes of mnagerye, peces iii.

It' chymney clothes of Forrest worke, peces iii.

It' chymney clothes of smale leaves, peces vi, whereof v are olde.

It' chymney peces of grene clothe, olde peces, v.

...borde cloths.-Item cupeborde clothes of clowdes, i.

It' long carpetts of arrye ...... peces ...

It'm long carpetts of ....., whereof one is olde.

It'm long Turkye carpetts, viii.

It' shorte carpetts of needleworke, Crewell, lyned with black bucke­rom, i.

It' shorte Turkye carpetts lynd with black buckerom, ii.

It' other shorte Turkeye carpetts vnlyned, xi.

It' carpetts of check boughte of Craven, iiii.

It' and ix yerdes more of the same checke, to cover close stoules & buffet stoules with.

Counterpaynts and teasters of velvett and sylke and other costelye stuffe.- [Teaster = a bed canopy]

Item one cloth of estate of crymsen velvett & clothe of golde & inyssue w'th a fryndge of crymsen sylke and golde.

Item one taffatye cannapye of changeable sylke layde about w'th silver twyste & sylver fryndge & buttons of ye same.

Item one basynge for the same, layd about w'th sylver twyst and sylver fryndg.

It' one counterpoynte of ye same.

It' one calle of cutt worke wrought w'th sylke vpon wyer, sett w'th filewes, w'th a fryndge of sylko & sylver.

It' one base of wood paynted for ye same cannapye w'th a string of redd & whyte sylke.

It' one toppe teastor of blewe velvett lyened w'th blewe changeable taffatye.

It' one counterpaynte & v curtaynes of blewe changeable taffatye for ye same teaster.

It one toppe teaster of purple velvett & cloth of golde, lyened w'th purple & yellowe cersnett.

It' one counterpaynte & v curtaynes for ye same, of purple & yellowe cersenett.

Item one square teaster w'th vallants for ye same, of clothe & golde & inyssye & whyte satten embrodered w'th studdes of sylver & a fryndg of sylke & golde, & ombroded w'th my Lo. armes.

It' one counterpeynte of ye same, of crymysen satten, my Lords armes embrodered vpon yt.

[1] This is, I believe, either a mispelling in the original MS., or a mistake of my copyist. It is "Dornixe, Dornyxe, Dornex, Darnex,-a cloth resembling damask, originally made at Doorneck in Flanders." (Glossary, Church Goods of Herts.) -

Item one teaster of clothe of golde & tyssue & russett velvett w'th a fryndg of yellowe & russett sylk.

..'... one ..:...ster of fugerat...atten of gren & yellowe paned ...... a fryndg of grene & yellowe ...... w'th a counterpeynte of ye same,

Item one square teaster w'th vallants for the same, of redd and whyte satten of Brydges.

Item one square teaster w'th double vallants of fugarr satten w'th a grene & orredge tawnye fryndge, and one counterpaynt & v cur­tens of grene & orredge tawney cersnett for the same.

Item one square teaster w'th a counterpeynt & iii eurteyns of redd & whyte dammaske w'th a fryndge of redd & whyte silke lyened w'th blewe buckeram.

Item one topp teaster of vestement worke w'th a grene sylke fryndge lyened w'th grene buckerom.

Item one square teaster of ashe culler sylke & clothe of bodken w'th a fryndge of purple sylke leyned w'th harden clothe.

It'm one square teaster of tawney velvett & clothe of bodken w'th a fryndge of tawney sylke lyned w'th blewe buckerom.

Theis ii are olde, & past service.

Item one toppe teaster of morrey clothe w'th v curteynes of ye same. It' one toppe teaster of blewe clothe w'th v curteynes of ye same w'th a fryndge of blewe sylke.

Item ii square teasters for a feilde bedd, & ii counterpaynts for ye same, of grene clothe lyened w'th whyte heppings.

It'm i square toaster of stripte say, & v curteynes of ye same.

Item i square teaster of redd clothe w'th a payre of double vallants w'th a fryndge of silke, & v curteynes of ye same.

It' one ether square teaster of redd clothe w'th a counterpeynte & iii curtens of ye same.

Item one square teaster w'th vallants & v curtens of blewe clothe w'th a fryndg of blewe sylke.

Item one carvedd teaster of wood w'th iii postes vnturned.

Item one olde cannapye of redd and whyte sylke, past service.

Count'rpeynts.-ltem verders counterpaynts, viii.

Item counterpeynts of leaves worke, ii, olde.

It' counterpaynts of Darnixe, i.

Curtens.-Item curtens of grene changeable taffatye, cersnett ..

Item one draweinge curtayne for a wyndowe, of yellow satten of Brydges, i.

Item curteynes of redd & grene sylke, iii, past service.

It' curtens of grene mockadoo, iii.

It' curtens of redd &, grene mockadoo, iii.

It' curtens of Darnixe, ii.

It' curtens of redd and grene saye w'th a paire of vallants of ye same, w'th a fryndg of grene & redd, v.

It' curteynes of grene saye, iii.

It' curtens of redd & grene buckeram, iii.

It' of ashe culler buckeram, iii.

It' of redd buckeram curtens iii.

It' of redd clothe, draweing curtens, for ye great chamb'r, iii.

It' ii lytle peces of stripte saye.

It' ii litle peces of yellowe & grene saye.

Traverses.-Item traverses of redd cersnett, ii.

Sparvers - Item olde sparvers paste servyce, ix. [sparver = the wooden frame work of a bed]

Alter clothes.-It' alter clothes of clothe of golde & russett velvett, ii.

Vestements.-It' ves'ements embrodered, i.

Feyther bedds.-Item feyther bedds, lxxvii.

It' feyther bedds paste service, v.

Bolsters-Item bolsters, iiiixx xix. [i am informed by Sheffield Archives that the superscript xx denotes a score, therefore the quantity here is 4 score and 19 = 99. Grateful thanks to them for sorting that one out!]

Bolsters stuffed w'th heere, vi.

Bolsters vnfilled, i.

Bolsters not serviceable, v.

Fyne matteress'.-Item fyne matteress', ix.

Course matteress'.-Item course matteress', lxix.

Pellett cases.-It' pellett cases, xx.

Fustyans.-Item fustianes, xi.

Flannells.-It' flannelles, iiii.

. ......ings, xi.

Whereof one is grene and another redd.

Fledges.-Item fledges, xli.

It' whoole clothes of fledge to make fledges of, peces iii.

Blanquetts.-Item blanquetts whyte, vxxxvi.

Blancquetts redd, iiii.

Mantles:-Item redd Yryshe mantolls, i.

Coverletts.-Item coverletts, iiiixxiiii

Item coverletts of lystes, xv.

Sheetes.-Item fyne sheetes, paires, xi and i sheets.

It' Alsom sheetes, payres, xxix.

Whereof xii payre were received of Lawrence Steele ye xxth of Februarye,1584.

Item harden sheetes, payres, iiiixx xii. & i sheete:

Whereof xxti payre came from Wyrkesoppe vnmade the xxth of Februarye, 1582.

Item olde sheetes paste service, payeres 6.

Pyllawe beres.-Item pyllawe beeres, v.

Item pyllawe beeres past service, ii.

Pyllawes.-Item square pyllawos coveryd w'th red sylke, ii.

It' square pyllawes coveryd w't,h yellowe sylke, ii.

Item square pyllawes covered w'th purple sylke, ii.

Item fustyean pyllawes, xxi.

It'm leyther pyllawes, viii.

Chamber potts. - Item chamber potts of pewter, xix.

Basens.-It' chamb'r basens, pewt'r, i.

Candlesticks of brasse.-It' candlesticks of brasse, viii.

It' hanginge plate candlesticks, olde, xi, past service.

It' a great plate candlesticke of iron in ye wardrope at Sheffcastle, i.

It' candlesticks of pewter, i.

Longs quysshens.-Item one longe quysshen of crymsen velvett both­omed with satten of Brydges w'th iii tassells and a frynge, i.

It' longe quysshens of clothe of tyssue, iii.

Item longe quysshens of needleworke, sylke, bothomed w'th russett velvett, i.

It' long quysshens of needleworke, silke, & bothomed w'th redd vel­vett, i.

It' longe quysshens of needleworke, silke, bothomed with stript sat­ten of Brydges, w'th a fryndg of yellowe sylke & ii tassells of grene silke, i.

It' longe quysshens of crymsen slike & sylver, bothomed w'th chang­able taffatye, w'th a fryndg & iiii tassells of crymmysen sylke & sylver, i.

It' long quysshens of fugarr satten, ii.

It' long quysshens of blacke velvert bothomed w'th blacke satten of Brydges, ii, whereof one is vnfylled.

Item one quysshen of blewe velvett and blewe satten of Brydges w'th a lyon, embrodered w'th studds, i. [satten of Brydges = Bruges satin]

Square quysshens.-It' one square quysshen of needle worke, sylke, bothomed w'th redd velvett, i.

It' square quysshens of crymysen velvett, bothomed w'th crymysen taffatye, ii.

It' square quysshens of needle worke, sylke, bothomed w'th grene satten of Brydges w'th a fryndge of grene sy1ke, ii.

It' one square quysshen of needle worke, silke, w'th a pellicane, bothomed w'th grene satten of Brydges, w'th a fryndge of blewe & yellowe silke.

It' i square quysshen of needle worke, sylke, bothomed w'th stript satten of Brydges, i.

It' square quysshens of clothe of golde, i olde.

Item ii square quysshens of fugarr satten, bothomed w'th grene changable taffatye, ii.

It' one other square quysshen of fugarr satten grene & yellowe, i.

It' one other square quysshen of fugarr satten, i.

It' quysshens of needle workes of crewle, iiii.

Verders quysshens.-Item verders quysshens, gviii, whereof ii have talbotts vpon them.

Mourreinge (sic) quysshens.-Item morneinge quysshens of blacke clothe, xii.

Cheares.-Item one cheare coveryd w'th crymensen silke & sylver w'th a fryndg of ye same, i.

It' a cheare of clothe of tyssue w'th a fryndg of redd & yellowe silke, i.

It' one cheare of crymysen velvett w'th a fryndge of crymysen sylke, i.

It' a cheare of purple velvett embrodered w'th clothe of golde, i.,

It' a cheare of clothe of tyssue & crymysen velvett, i.

It' a cheare of redd velvett & clothe of tyssue, i.

It' a cheare of fugarr satten, i.

It' cheares of purple velvett for my Lo. owne chamber, ii.

It' a cheare of black velvett, i.

It' a cheare of clothe of golde & redd velvett, i.

It' a cheare of purple velvett embrodered w'th clothe of golde, i.

Cheares past service.-Item a cheare covered w'th redd velvett layde w'th kane lace of golde, i.

It' a cheare covered w'th redd velvett embrodered w'th flowres, i.

It' an olde cheare covered w'th clothe of golde, i.

It' one cheare of yellowe velvett, i.

It' a cheare w'th redd velvett embrodered w'th talbotts, i.

It' an olde cheare w'th redd velvett, i.

It' an olde cheare w'th blacke clothe & one w'th grene cloth, ii.

Theis viii laste cheares are paste service.

Leyther cheares.-Item leather cheares, iii.

Clothe cheares.-It' a cheare coveryd w'th grene clothe embroderyd w'th grene twyst, i.

It' a cheare of grene clothe made for a chylde, i.

Cheares of wood.-It' cheares of wycker, i.

It' cheares of wood, ii, whereof one is for a close stoule vnfynysshed.

It' a great cheare of wood for my Lord to sytt in on St. Georges daye

Stoules.-Item a stoule covered w'th redd velvett, pyrled w'th golde wyre, i.

It' stoules of cloth of gold & redd velvett, iii.

It' stoules of crymysen velvett and clothe of golde w'th a fryndg of redd & yellowe silke, ii.

It' a foate stoole covered w'th redd velvett w'th a fryndg of silke, i.

It.' a foat stoole of crymysen velvett & cloth of gold w'th a fryndg of grene & yellowe silke sett on w'th a lace, i:

It' a foat stoule of needle worke, silke, w'th a grene silke fryndge, i.

It' a lowe stoule of purple velvett embrodered w'th cloth of gold w'th a fryndg of purple & yellowe silke, i.

.... stoules.-It' lytter stoules covered-w'th grene satten of Brydges w'th grene crewle ...... ii.

Stoules.-Item a stoule of grene clothe w'th a grene sylke fryndge, i.

It' stoules of grene clothe w'th grene crewle fryndge, ii.

It' a lowe stoule of needle worke crewle, i.

It' stoules of needle worke crewle, iii.

It' a stoule of grene clothe, i.

Stoules past service.-Item one highe stoule covered w'th clothe of golde and redd velvett, i.

It' a nother hyghe stoule covered w'th redd velvett, i.

It' a lawe stawle covered w'th redd satten embrodered w'th cloth of golde, i.

It' a lawe stawle covered w'th redd cloth embrodered w'th black satten, i.

Close stoules.-Item close stoules covered w'th mockadoo, iii.

It' close stoules covered w'th leather, ii, & one tyne pan.

It' close stoules covered w'th grene cloth, i past service.

It' close stoules of wood, playne, viii.

Buffet stoules.-Item buffett stoules, xxxviii.

It' frames for buffet stoules, vi.

Buffet formes.-It' buffett formes, xiiii.

Playne formes.-It' playne formes, vii.

Longe setles.-Item longe settles, ii.

Corded bedstedds.-Item ii fayre corded bedstydds of inlayde worke, ii.

It' a fayre corded bedstydd corded w'tlz wood in ye Tower Chamber at Sheff. lodg, i. '

It' corded bedstydds, xxi.

It' compost bedstydds of ashe, i.

It' feilde bedstydds of ashe, i.

It' feilde bedstydds of wallnutt tree, ii.

It' corded bedstydds for a cannapye, i.

It' cannapye bedstydds, ii.

Toppe bedstydds.-It' toppe bedstydds, v.

Playne bedstyds.-Item playne bedstydds, viiixxii

Prasses.-Item one fayre carved prasse at Sheffeld Lodge, and another in my Lo. chamb'r at Sheff. Castle, ii.

Skreenes,-Item wicker skreenes, iiii:

Copebordes.-Item cupebordes, xlv:

It' a ]ytle carved cupeborde in my Lo. vtt'r chamber,

Square tables.-Item square tables, xvj.

Item square tables for the hawle at Sheff. Lodg, viii, and formes for all ye same, viii.

It' a bourde and a forme in the porter's lodge at Sheff. Lodg, and ii tresteles in ye gates there.

Item a table of ashe in the quenes gallerye there, i.

Item square tables fo`r the hawle at Sheff. Castell, w'th formes for all ye same, vi.

It' i longe table and a forme there.

It' cupebordes there, ii.

It' a square lundyrin there, i.

Long tables.-It' longe tables, vi.

Counters.-Item counters, ii.

Chestes.-Item standing chestes bonde w'th iron, vii.

It' great chestes of wood, iiii.

It' great wood arkes, ii.

It' a chest of fyrr wood in the lowe washe howse at Sheff Lodg, i.

It' one litle chest bonde w'th plates, i.

It' a fayre square chyst inlayde w'th whyte bone, made by my Lo. Fraunces, w'th a talbott and SS, standing in ye nurcerye at lodge, i. It is almost spoyled through evyll vsinge.

Item a litle iron caskett standing in my Lo. bedchamb'r there, i.

It' a cesterne of allabaster standing in ye great chamber at Sheff. Lodge, i.

Trunckes.-Item trunckes, vi.

Item wycker trunckes, i.

Basketts.-Item basketts coveryd w'th leather, i.

Item basketts vncoveryd, iiii, whereof one was d'd to Fraunces Heb­bert, iiii.

Bybles.-Item bybles, ii.

It' one book cont'g ye halfe vollume of ye Actes & Monuments, i.

Stuffe in the wardroppes.-Item a redd clothe for a runninge horse, borded w'th blacke velvett and embrodered w'th talbotts of sylver & lyned w'th black buckeram, i.

Item one coate for a capten, of redd clothe garded about w'th black velvett i.

It' staggs or banners w'th ye quenes armes, ii.

Item streamers, ii.

It' a coate for a harralde of armes w'th my Lo. armes on it, i.

It' iii papers of my Lo, armes, iii.

It' papers of talbotts for charbiger, xixx xvi.

It' so1gier coates, vxx

It' solgier cappes, vxx.

It' olde plate coates, vi

It olde jackes, vi.

It' olde blacke bylls w'th shaftes, xx.

It' blacke bylls w'thowte shaftes, xviii.

It' forrest bylles, i.

It' javeling staves, xxiiii.

Item javeling heads w'thowte staves, vii

It, olde gu'nes called base peces, i'

It' olde soore clothes, ii.

It' clothe sacks of leather, ii.

It' a boxe of pyke heades_ & sheafe harrowe heads, i.

It' a great brode boxe to laye silke stuffe in, i.

It' masken coates of Darnixe, iiii.

It' brasse cocks for condytts, vi.

It' square iron chymneys, i.

It' square barres of iron for chymneyes, x:

It' square barres of iron drawen owte for broyches, ii.

It' i shorte bar of ii yerds & d'd for ye same vse, i.

It' other barres of an ell long a pece, iii.

It' broyches; iii.

It,' cobyrons; payres, i.

It' iron morters, ii, whereof one was d'd to Fraunces Hebbert for ye plum'r to vse.

It' iron casements w'th owt glasse, xii.

It' iron passenetts, i.

It' an olde plat pott, i.

It' brasen morters, i.

It' a brasse weight cont' by estimate halfe a C. weight, i.

It' a pytche case w'ch pyctures were brought in owt of Fraunce, i.

It' one olde coffer w'th owt a lydd in ye wardroppe at ye Castell; i.

More stuffe in yo wardroppe.-Item great prasses w'th trestles for ye wardrope, ii.

It' peces of seeling w'ch they make prasses vpon in my Lo. ward­rope, iii.

It' plane stecks, v, w'th iiii bytts.

It' tubes full of feythers, ii.

It' certen peces of olde broken iron by estimat' di' stone.

It' one paper mappe w'ch was Mrs. Sandes, i.

Pulpytts.-It' pulpytts of wood, i.

Boordes.-It' playne boordes, ix.

Trestles.-It' trestles; xx.

Landyrons.-It' landyrons, vii.

Iron naggs.-It' iron naggs, great & small, xi.

Fyer shovells.-It' fyor shovells, xi.

Tonges.-Item iron tonges, payres, vi.

In my Lords chambers.-Item a great clocke & a litle clocke.

It' chests plated w'th iron, ii.

It' a glasse w'th a frame for yt.

It' a couche of walnott tree w'th a matteres covered w'th grene coc­say for ye same.

It' a payre of litle bellyes.

In my Lad'yes chambers.-It' chestes covered w'th leather, ii, whereof one ys plated.

It' square chests of wood, i.

It' great standerds plated w'th iron, ii.

It' a byng for candles.

It' one olde cupborde.

It' one olde stannd'rs cheste.

It' a payre of gordyvyans.

It' ii litle bourds of iiii feete.

It' ii bourds standinge on ii trestles after ye walle.

It' one olde tubbe for chippings.

In ye pantery at ye Lodge.-It' one cupbord, iiii byngs, a candle chest, iii boards, & a cheasell' tubbe.

In ye backhowse at ye Castle.-It' iii great boordes w'th trestles & stoupes.

It' i kneading troughe, i baulting bynge, & i brecke, i kytte, i brasse pan, i brandreth, a shorte boorde, viii sackes, & a great wood kane. [Brandreth = a tripod to put over a fire, to hold cooking vessels etc.]

In ye backhowse at ye Lodge.-It' ii great boords, i kneading troughe, & one bynge.

In the brewehowse.--It' one great newe copper pan.

It' one olde lesser copper pan. .

It' iii great fatts, ii litle fatts.

It' i keeler, iiii olde brasse ketles past service.

It' iii scoapes, a worte troughe of stone.

It' vii casting tubes.

It' hogs heads serviceable, 31 (sic).

It' hogs heads not serviceable, lx.

It' ii great tonnes, a brandereth.

It' a pan, a fyer shovell, & a forgen'.

It' ix great barres of iron, vnder ye furnice.

It' a fyer heeke.

It' a litle bourde & ii formes, & a lock of wood.

It' ii ladinge tronges.

It' ii leaden aperens.

It' i long ladder & i setle about ye fatte.

It' ii bathe fatts.

It' x seckes. ,

In ye chamber ov'r ye stable at ye Lodge.-It' one greate cheste.

In ye garden gallarye at ye Lodge.-It' one long frame for a table. It' ii ladders.

It' a shorte boorde & ii trestles.

In Selbee chardg at ye Lodge.-It' ii stylles of tynne.

It' a lymbeck of tyne.

It' a serpentyne of tyne.

It' xxii glasses for reuse water:

It' v shelves, a boorde, a forme & a seate.

It' a baskett stoule and ii small trestles to sett glasses vpon.

It' a mattoeke.

It' a payre of garden sheres w'ch Leaver hath had.

It' ii boardes for ye arbor in ye gallerye.

......... at ye Castell.-It' on,e cesterne of stone.

It' a stone morter, i dele barrell.

It' a brayde & a trestle.

It' a tylle & a trestle of iiii feete.

It' a frame w'th vi leades to salt flesh in.

It' a salting fatt.

It' a boord standing on iiii stompes.

It' an olde ambrye, viii tubbes to putt salt in.

It' i kynnell, iiii longe shelves or bordes, & i forme.

In my Lordes kytchen, larder, & pastery at ye Lodge, viz.: Item one bease leade.

It' one cesterne.

It' viii great boardes.

In ye Quen'es kytchen at ye Lodg,-It' ii great boordes & a litle one.

It' one cesterne at ye kytchen doore.

In ye washe howse at Lodge & Castle.-It' ii long boordes & i shorte, vi trestles, & ii long formes

It' olde great panes, ii.

It' buckinge tubes, ii.

It' flashekytts; ii.

It' kytts, ii.

It' brandreths, ii.

It' an olde chest, i:

Item in the hawle at the Poandes.-Item peces of paynted han'gings, wyndawe peces, & chymney peces, of canves, xx.

It' a long borde standing on trestles.

It' buffett formes, ii, buffet stoules, i, cupbordes, i.

It' a stylle, a flaggen.

It' iii olde pewter dysshes & ii spytts.

In ye howse at the gardens.-Item a long board w'th ii trestles, ii formes, a shorte boorde, ii shorte formes, another long boarde w'th ii trestles, a kettle pan, a lytle pane, a brandreth, x peces of pewter good & badd, iii kytts, a mylke bowle, a mulke syle, and ii wood kanes.

In ye workmens chamber.-a bourde and ii trestles.

In ye sadlers chamber.-It' a boarde, ii trestles, & a forme.

In john'ye chambers.-It,' a shorte board & ii trestles.

All ye kytchen stuff in the Quenes kytchen & my Lords is yett to wryte. And all the husbandrye geare, as waynes & other necessaries for the draughts, at ye Castle is yet to wryte. All ye workinge towles w'ch ye horshowers have of my Lords, or the towles that the sadler hath, is to wryte. And also the gardyeners toules yet to wryte.

(It's a wonderful detailed list, and I haven't a clue what many of the items are! I'm busy trying to find out, and I've found some of them. I'll edit them in as I find them.Many words look unfamiliar but read them out loud and they become clearer!)

(Also to follow, an inventory of all the Lord's items in the use of Mary Queen of Scots and her household. 1582)

The building stands on the remains of Sheffield Castle, which was the home of the Earls of Shrewsbury, and served as the prison of Mary Queen of Scots for almost 15 years. It is therefore a site of significant historical interest, and it is the proposal of the City Council, with cross-party support, to demolish the Market building and excavate the castle remains, which are substantial, eventually developing a public open space on the site in which the public will have access to the castle remains.

:angry: I hate it when people refer to Mary Stuart's time in Sheffield and the two buildings she stayed in as "the prison of Mary Queen of Scots". Not only is it not true, it undermines both buildings value to Sheffield.

The reality is that Mary Suart was in protective custody till the Babbington Plot. Only then is she arrested for a crime. The nearest thing to it today would be when the police confine a witness in a drug or murder case for fear of them being killed. This was the route cause of Mary being placed in Sheffield Castle and Manor. The fear she may have been killed. Of course Mary Stuart doesn't like it and does refer to herself as a prisoner! But then she would. It might come a surprise also to some people that Mary requested this treatment, in a letter to Queen Elizabeth, when she fled in fear of her life from Scotland. You may have noticed that I refer to her by her name and not Mary Queen of Scots. Why I do this is because she abdicated from the throne of Scotland and so was no longer Queen, something which was used at her trial. The reason many keep on calling her 'Mary Queen of Scots' is entirely the fault of Elizabeth the First. For she had very high standards about Royal personages and would not except her "forced" abidcation. However I should point out that the English Ambassador to Scotland when he asked Mary, was told by Mary that she was willing to give up the crown and live as a "damsel" with Bothwell. She also had the option to return to France, but she thought to use Elizabeth, by getting an army from her to return to Scotland.

In anycase when her son was crowned King, so she was no longer Queen.

If you need further proof just read George Talbot's tomb, that makes it very clear Mary's place in things. That inventory above also shows how well she was treated.

"Prison" more like Buckingham Palace!

I had an email from English heritage today, telling me that the Secretary of State has turned down the application to have the Castle Market designated a listed building.

That's good news as it now means that the Sheffield Castle remains might finally be uncovered as a tourist attraction.

Here's hoping!

I had an email from English heritage today, telling me that the Secretary of State has turned down the application to have the Castle Market designated a listed building.

That's good news as it now means that the Sheffield Castle remains might finally be uncovered as a tourist attraction.

Here's hoping!

I hope they save the current, historic Market setup ...

(just a windup for Dave, see the other thread ...)

I hope they save the current, historic Market setup ...

(just a windup for Dave, see the other thread ...)

That's just it Richard , we can now knock the rundown place down and hopefully

restore what bit of the castle is left.

But they are going to say " there's no money to do that".

It will probably be a car park. :(

You will never get permission to rebuild any part of the Castle. It will take ages to just get the digging work done, look at what Time Team has to go through to dig small trenches. If they find a heap of stones that's what the tourists will see. I reckon the site will be built over with a vault type of thing that you can go and see inside, not unlike what is there now, only more plush and costing a packet of taxpayers money to construct. And something commercial on top.

The real stuff will come in the finds, but as for what is left, unless you like looking at piles of sandstone blocks, most will find it boring, sad to say :(

Guest transit

....not looking good for Casle Market ! - get pics while you still can !!!!............

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sheffield-Castle-Market-39will-not.6668356.jp

That's just it Richard , we can now knock the rundown place down and hopefully

restore what bit of the castle is left.

But they are going to say " there's no money to do that".

It will probably be a car park. :(

My dad worked for 28 years for Sheffield Corporation Markets Department as a painter, working in rotation at Castle Market, Wholesale Market and the Corporation Abatoir.

As such he had access to the lower section of the market which is effectively a "cellar" below street level where some of the walls of the original castle are visible.

In his own words "There isn't a lot left of the walls and the area they are in is frequently full of water"

Perhaps to "restore what bit of the castle is left" may be wishful thinking, but it may just be not worth doing.

You will never get permission to rebuild any part of the Castle.

Good!

To me a 21st century reconstruction, which would look clean and "modern", of a medieval building would be more of an embarassment than a tardy looking 20th century concrete market building.

It would merely be a "fake" castle and not the real thing.

....not looking good for Casle Market ! - get pics while you still can !!!!............

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sheffield-Castle-Market-39will-not.6668356.jp

Already have some pictures transit (already posted in another markets topic) but I am sure I will be taking a few more now.

Quote from The Star article, -

The site is earmarked for a new open space, where sections of Sheffield's old castle hidden beneath the market will be exposed.

There will also be offices, apartments and part of the planned pedestrian Steel Route, which aims to link Victoria Quays and the Wicker with the rest of the city centre

Note

Sections of Sheffield's old castle, = a dissapointingly small section of old wall, hardly worth going to see

A new open space, = a car park

Offices and appartments, = another Government quango business moving up from the south, another "Aztec Temple" like the one at Moorfoot

Pedestrian Steel Route, which aims to link Victoria Quays and the Wicker with the rest of the city centre

We already have these links,

They are called Castlegate, Blonk Street, Waingate, King Street and Angel Street

I walk them regularly, - why do we need to spend money to build new routes on top of those that already exist?