A Sheffield History Bibliography

dunsbyowl1867

BUY or ONLINE* Sheffield: Webster's Quotations, Facts and Phrases

Sheffield in Literature/Non fiction / script/ government/ journalism /patent/ bibliographic/ encyclopedic/ lexicographic

Description

Ever need a fact or quotation on Sheffield? Designed for speechwriters, journalists, writers, researchers, students, professors, teachers, historians, academics, scrapbookers, trivia buffs and word lovers, this is the largest book ever created for this single word. It represents a compilation from a variety of sources with a linguistic emphasis on anything relating to the term “Sheffield,” including non-conventional usage and alternative meanings which capture ambiguities. The entries cover all parts of speech (noun, verb, adverb or adjective usage) as well as use in modern slang, pop culture, social sciences (linguistics, history, geography, economics, sociology, political science), business, computer science, literature, law, medicine, psychology, mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology and other physical sciences. This “data dump” results in many unexpected examples for Sheffield, since the editorial decision to include or exclude terms is purely a linguistic process. The resulting entries are used under license or with permission, used under “fair use” conditions, used in agreement with the original authors, or are in the public domain. Proceeds from this book are used to expand the content and coverage of Webster’s Online Dictionary (www.websters-online-dictionary.org).

By Icon Group International, Inc.

Pages : 409

Price : $28.95 (USD)

ISBN : 0546664792

*Limited preview available on GOOGLE BOOKS below

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Jwq5W7Ksn7EC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Webster's+Quotations,+Facts+and+Phrases+sheffield&source=bl&ots=vIOEvxL9-h&sig=T76fmtSEpzCRccv8kO4Ld9EzRUQ&hl=en&ei=yKt7TKqJHMyQjAeU3_nHBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Guest Fairange

British Association, Handbook & Guide to Sheffield , 1910

Porter & Watson (eds) Published 1910 J.W.Northend

Contents

Archaeology

Antiquities of Sheffield by RE Leader

Local Government by RE Leader

Cutlery & Cutler's Company by RE Leader

Sheffield Castle & the Manor Lodge by Thomas Winder

The Parish Church by James Wigfull

The Pre-Reformation Churches of Sheffield & Hallamshire District by Charles Hadfield

Early Christian Remains of the District by C F Innocent

Some Place names in the Sheffield District by SO Addy

The City of Sheffield

Other Public Bodies by the Editor

The Health of Sheffield by H. Scurlfield

Meteorology By E Howarth

Education

University by Prof. A Green

Higher Schools by A Green

Elementary & Secondary Education by Cllr John Derry& G Baxter

Public Buildings & Parks by the Editor

Museums & Art Gallery by E. Howarth

Sheffield Societies by AT Watson

The Territorial Forces of Sheffield Col. H Hughes

Industries of Sheffield & District

Iron & Steel Industries by Prof. JO Arnold

Engineering Industry of the District Prof. W Ripper

Armour & Ordnance by D Vickers & Liet. Sir Trevor Dawson

Silver Trades & the Assay Office by A T Watson

Mining Industries by MH Habershon & Prof FW Hardwick

and chapters on

Geology

Botany

Zoology

Is there anything in this about The Sheffield Jungle 1910? (see Sheffield Jungle thread) www.sheffieldjungle.com

Here's some from my collection:

Sheffield in Tudor and Stuart Times

David Bostwick

Sheffield City Museums 1985

Prints and paintings of buildings that lasted till they could be drawn by someone.

Portrait of the Manor in the 1930's

Malcolm Mercer

Pickard Publishing

Not dated but after 2000.

Recollections of life on the Manor Housing Estate up till WW2, includes details of the creation of the estate and some details about schools, the church and community. Brief mention of ARP arrangements.

Malcolm was a member of the Manor Memories Group and was Head of Parson Cross School (1968-1983). And also published two books on education in Sheffield.

How It Was Then

Introducing Sheffield History.

C 1978

A booklet produced by Sheffield University, Museums, Radio Sheffield.

Based on a series of Radio Sheffield shows with the same title broadcast that year.

Only 28 pages.

Covers from prehistoric times to 1878.

Unlikely to be commercially available now.

Weerz Me Dad?

Fred Pass 2001 and 2002

£5.95

A collection of childhood stories by the author who comes from Sheffield.

Images of Sheffield

Sheffield Newspapers Limited 1993

208 Pages B&W photos only on nearly all pages.

£12.95

Sheffield 200 Years Ago

LTD, The Ford, Ridgeway, 1983

38 Pages

Unknown if still on sale.

A description of the Town of Sheffield in the year of 1832 when the Cholera epidemic was still on the go. Some drawings and a plan of Fairbank's map of 1771.

I have a full PDF of this book, PM if you would like a copy.

Guest alex birks

Calling all cinema projectionists, I want your help!

Dear Sir/Madame,

My name is Alex Birks, a final year Masters student, studying Graphic Design at Sheffield Hallam University. I am currently undertaking a large research based study, on the rise and fall of cinema, starting from the early 1900s to the present day. I have been focusing on the many changes to film making throughout time, such as black & white silent films, atmospheric theatre, the triumph in talking pictures, Technicolor, etc. I have also been paying close attention to cinema technology and the roles of the cinema staff, required to run a functioning theatre.

I have recently visited 'The Cinema Museum' in London, where I met Ronald Grant, a cinema enthusiast who has devoted his life to preserving the cinema experience, since it began in the late 1800s. After sharing stories and speaking to him over the course of the visit, I gained a strong interest in the projectionist and how they have adapted to the changes in both technology and the requirements of cinema-goers.

This letter is addressed to anybody who has been involved in cinema over the years, particularly before the introduction of the multi-plex cinema, as I would like to find out more. As part of my final product I would like to document an encounter I have had with someone involved in the cinema, as a biography/information piece.

If you, or anybody you know could qualify for this position please could you get in contact with me. This will be a tremendously exiting opportunity, and a great way to share your enthusiasm with many people, both educated and non-educated in the subject.

I live in Sheffield and would be prepared to travel to meet you.

Thank you for listening to my proposal.

Yours Faithfully,

Alexander Birks

Contact details:

e-mail – alexbirks88@yahoo.com

Mobile - 07706336517

I can't see this one in the bibliography, although I think it has been mentioned elsewhere:

The Story of Sheffield, by John Derry and issued under the authority of the Sheffield Education Committee.

No publication date, but a timeline in the back of the book stops at 1914 and my copy has a handwritten date of March 1917.