Link PH

dunsbyowl1867

Wasn't it known as The Target or was that a nickname due to the items that were dropped from above.

Not an expert on the area but I think the Target was on the Hyde Park

However here is the Link in more recent times

January 2009

However here is the Link in more recent times

January 2009

They've done it up then he he

The Link was the pub at the start of my drinking career, way back in 1970.

The proprietor at that time Colin Hardy,

I occasionally bump into Colins son Chris who goes by the nick name 'Cherry'

Think Stuart0742 may be right again here. I am no expert on Hyde Park but I cannot recall a PH (boozer) on the Park Hill called the Target.

However, as well as the link there was at least one, possibly two other boozers in the Park Hill flats complex as well as the Link.

Presumably the Link was built along with the flats around 1960. My grandmother moved onto the flats when they were realtively new in 1963 and it was called the Link them so I would assume it has only ever been known (officially) by this name.

Think Stuart0742 may be right again here. I am no expert on Hyde Park but I cannot recall a PH (boozer) on the Park Hill called the Target.

However, as well as the link there was at least one, possibly two other boozers in the Park Hill flats complex as well as the Link.

Presumably the Link was built along with the flats around 1960. My grandmother moved onto the flats when they were realtively new in 1963 and it was called the Link them so I would assume it has only ever been known (officially) by this name.

Link only ever known by that name as far as I remember, other pubs on Park hill, Parkway, Scottish Queen. Earl george.

Think that's all.

Link only ever known by that name as far as I remember, other pubs on Park hill, Parkway, Scottish Queen. Earl george.

Think that's all.

Well that makes a total of 4 which is at least one more than I thought so thanks for the information there chalky.

Seem to remember my old gran used to go in the Link and the Scottish Queen but I can't remember the other two.

Guest shellybarnes

Well that makes a total of 4 which is at least one more than I thought so thanks for the information there chalky.

Seem to remember my old gran used to go in the Link and the Scottish Queen but I can't remember the other two.

My uncle owned the pub from 1980 1985 ron and rita Newman , I worked there for a couple of years. it was a lovely pub and mainly for the elders. They had a organ and customers would come in and sing usually the same ones week after week. I was in my twenties but I knew all the old songs by the time I left.

Really enjoyed my time there. Ron and rita then took over the Old Hall at Hope valley. Dont know who run it after that, As far as I am aware it was always called the Link from the beggining.

Guest skeets

HI Dave the target was on the Basegreen l think Cheers skeets

I thought the pub on basegreen (Jaunty Road) S12 was called The Centre Spot and not The Target.

The Centre Spot used to have a pub sign outside which showed 2 football players (being Sheffield, one in red / white and one in blue / white) shaking hands before the kick off on the centre spot of a football field but more recently this seems to have been replaced with a sign showing an archery target with an arrow in the centre spot, - hence some possible confusion with another public house called the target, although I do not recall a pub with that name on Park Hill flats.

The Centre Spot is the boozer in which Sheffield Steam and Vintage Club currently holds its meetings on the first Tuesday of most months.

Yes the one on Base green is the Centre Spot the Target is/was where the dog track used to be on the Hyde Park.

Yes the one on Base green is the Centre Spot the Target is/was where the dog track used to be on the Hyde Park.

Thanks for the clarification there chalky.

I had never heard of a pub called the target on the Park Hill Flats which was the original tiopic in question and it turns out that the reason is that the target is actually on Hyde Park and not Park Hill.

Thanks for the clarification there chalky.

I had never heard of a pub called the target on the Park Hill Flats which was the original tiopic in question and it turns out that the reason is that the target is actually on Hyde Park and not Park Hill.

My 1970 Kellys shows The Target Inn on Chancel Row, which is just off Manor Oakes Rd.

Hi Dave Stuart Chalky Steve HB

Just to clarify - there was a Target Inn at 75 St Johns Road I don't know when it closed but my GGGGrandmother Maria Carrier was the Publican in 1901 !

With regards to The Link. Colin Hardy is or was my Uncle although we have not been in touch for more years than I care to remember.

Incidentally it does not appear to be listed in the Pubs A-Z.

With regards to The Link. Colin Hardy is or was my Uncle although we have not been in touch for more years than I care to remember.

Incidentally it does not appear to be listed in the Pubs A-Z.

Hi peterinfrance, this should explain;

Jeremy, on 18 January 2010 @ 12:26 am.

Working towards a complete index with links to all known pubs, with dates, known keepers, pictures, and other information - this list from the earliest known to 1951, post 1951 Pubs/keepers may be included in the A-Z but are "incidental".

The pubs list includes the work of many people, in particular RichardB, Tsavo, and dobberd not forgetting Ukelele Lady.This work is ongoing.