Donald Pleasance

Guest Dazza

Oop's just found out he was born in Worksop.

Donald Pleasence (sorry it is an E not an A) may have been born in Worksop, but for many years he lived in Ecclesfield. He lived at the 'top' railway station as his father was Station Master. He also attended Ecclesfield Grammar School and his name appears on the honours board there (unless the board has been removed). His first wife lived in Ecclesfield too as a child.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Donald Pleasence (sorry it is an E not an A) may have been born in Worksop, but for many years he lived in Ecclesfield. He lived at the 'top' railway station as his father was Station Master. He also attended Ecclesfield Grammar School and his name appears on the honours board there (unless the board has been removed). His first wife lived in Ecclesfield too as a child.

Anybody with Ecclesfield links deserves to have his photo on this site

Anybody with Ecclesfield links deserves to have his photo on this site

Is that a still from Barchester Chronicles ?

Looks like a cheese biscuit advert to me! ;-)

Wiki entry :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Pleasance

DP (to photographer): "Now then, dear boy, I'm feeling very peckish. Could you wait a sec while I have a chomp on the old biscuit before taking your pikky?"

Photographer (to DP): "Sorry, mate, I've got a deadline to meet. Mind you, if you've any spares, I know a guy called Dunsbyowl who's always hungry, and loves biscuits. These Wednesdayites are always hungry: the bill of fare at Hillsborough is invariably not very filling!"

These Wednesdayites are always hungry: the bill of fare at Hillsborough is invariably not very filling!

You can say that again!

Who's would of thought Ecclesfield Railway Station would be such a cultural centre - Donald Pleasance & Stanley Royle!

These Wednesdayites are always hungry: the bill of fare at Hillsborough is invariably not very filling!

You can say that again!

Who's would of thought Ecclesfield Railway Station would be such a cultural centre - Donald Pleasance & Stanley Royle!

...and Percy Brummitt! (That's an 'in' joke).

Guest synthman

Oop's just found out he was born in Worksop.

Yes, Donald was born in worksop in, 1919. I wrote to him just before he died. apparently, He went to Eccesfield grammer school . His Father I seem to recall, Was station master at, 'swinton'. Rotherham for a while. He had a brother living in 'conisborough' Rotherham. As far as I know, There is no blue plaque on the house he was born in. he was an incredable actor, even appearing in an episode of, 'columbo', as a murderous Wine expert.

Appologies if I spelled 'Eccesfield' wrong, But I only whent to Dinno comp, can't expect too much.

Guest Atlantean

Donalds father was station master at Ecclesfield East Station which was on the old GCR branch to Barnsley Court House Station. The station closed on the 7th of December 1953 and the goods yard became a scrapyard, scrapping railway stock. There is no trace whatsoever of the station. Ecclesfield West then became just Ecclesfield.

ET1M_F7WsAEoflv.jpg]

ET1M_N1XkAEWJH-.jpg

The Ecclesfield East Railway Station where the actor Donald Pleasence lived with his parents whilst attending Ecclesfield Grammar School 1933-1938