Entertainment Guides from The Star

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I can remember going to see Dickie Valentine with my friend Happy Days!!

I thought I was getting old, but now it seems I am right, there was a lot more to do in those days!!!!

Chris

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Chris

I can remember going to see Dickie Valentine with my friend Happy Days!!

I thought I was getting old, but now it seems I am right, there was a lot more to do in those days!!!!

Chris

Anybody got any pictures of old cinema posters? In the old days there used to be posters all over the place advertising what was coming at the local cinemas. I remember, for instance, there was a huge hoarding just up Kilton Hill, off Burngreave Road, and I always looked for this as I passed on the top deck of a tram because on one board it displayed all the films showing Mon, Tues & Wed and, separately, Thurs Fri and Sat at the Paragon, the Roxy, and the Esseldo Lane Top; and on an adjoining board it advertised films at the Coliseum and, I think, one of the city centre cinemas. There may also have been one advertsising the Empire. All those old boards have long since disappeared, but a photograph of a display of them would be a major contribution to social history --and the education of the modern film-buff!

(Mind you, I also wonder if Dunsbyowl can remember when Wednesday used to have posters all over the city --and United, of course. You never see them now.)